Cedar Point to begin 2020 season with phased opening

Fingers cross they get rid of the mask rule by the time we have our August trip

I get the reality of masks even if I don't wear when not required (personal view only, but I see the fear of this virus being vastly disproportionate to its reality and I don't want to contribute to that fear).

If they had said wear inside, I would have just gone along. A mask outside in July though is going to detract greatly from the experience while contributing minimally, at best, to safety. I am a season pass holder but I will not be going until that is lifted even if if means I am not going this year.

Being responsible about others safety isn't "contributing to that fear". No one is suggesting that a mask will stop the virus but there are plenty of reasons to just go along with it for the time being. Some protection is better than no protection and the general consensus with people seems to be that it's a necessary and temporary annoyance. But to suggest that wearing one is "contributing to the fear" is a little much. I understand that's your opinion but it's my opinion that that is a tad silly of an argument. ;)

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

No one is suggesting that a mask will stop the virus but there are plenty of reasons to just go along with it for the time being.

What other reasons are there to wear a mask if it doesn't stop the virus?

And yes, I wear a mask in public. Have been since mid-March.

It's a mitigation tactic. A seat belt won't save you in every car accident, but it dramatically increases your chance of survival.

The way things are going right now, there are a lot of leading indicators showing things are going to get serious again. It's very regional at the moment, but the flare ups are pretty dramatic in some places. I wouldn't be surprised if parks are closed again by the fall.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^Yup. Which is why I wish we had kept everything closed for now so we can still have a Halloween and/or Christmas season.

More or less what Adam said.

In fact, yes...what Adam said.

I am personally not afraid of Covid-19 for myself or my family; not that I want to roll the dice and contract it, but based on our ages and lack of...well...any underlying risk factors (at least that we know about), I'm confident it would come and go in our family without anyone even knowing.

But, and let me emphasize that but...this does not mean I wouldn't do everything to keep it out of my home. It just means I am fortunate to not have a condition that leads to a bigger amount of worry.

I wear my mask for two reasons. The first one is obvious. The experts...who know infinitely more about this disease than I do...are saying it's a good idea. That's honestly all I need to hear. It's also been observed that in the countries that have already said "buh-bye" to Covid-19, mask wearing was a major thing (See: New Zealand).

From my personal view, the more obtuse reactions (HELL NO!) to being asked to wear a mask is a sign of American Arrogance. Ever watch this video by David Bowie?

It's more relevant now than ever for multiple reasons.

The second reason I wear a mask, however, is a little less obvious. I also wear a mask for the workers. I have a lot of friends who work at places that have been open from the get-go (Wal-Mart, Giant Eagle, Lowes, you name it...)...and they have to show up at work every day and put on the mask. Call it a feeling of solidarity.

When you go to Cedar Point and ride your roller coasters, all those workers will be wearing one. Do you think they want to? Of course not. No one wants to be living in this reality. But we are. We can either suck it up and do it together or put on our "dont tread on me" wife-beaters and pretend we know better than the experts and the countries who have already done away with the virus.

So yea. I'm "man enough" to know when to listen. Maybe it's because I've been married for so long ;)

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I'll wear a mask if it means I can go to the park. The other option is don't go at all. I was also a strong opposer of security checkpoints when they first came out. But, either I bend over and take it or don't go the park at all. But we all know the masks are just a temporary measure and will be gone by next year or maybe even later this season if the virus slows down enough that they don't feel it will be necessary. I wonder if the parks will be a ghost town with all the people saying they will not go due to this requirement. But usually social media complainers are just the loudest voices and only a small percentage of people. On another note, I actually found hand sanitizer in a store today.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Yeah last time I took my utility knife to security the guy just took the blade out of it and gave it back. I was ready to throw the whole thing away, as opposed to walking all the way back to my camper. Not the first time I made the same mistake. But, I finally learned to clean out my pockets. I don't mind the security. It's for our own good. They are just doing their jobs.

But the masks? Howard can work 12 hour shifts in 100+ heat and all his coworkers wear theirs. I don't know what Howard does, and frankly I don't give 2 ****s about it. Howard is not me. I am not Howard. I work. I go home. I vacation. Just like Howard does. I don't have anything against Howard. I just do not feel comfortable in a mask in extreme heat and will not put myself in the position to have to wear one. I don't want to be in the position to make my grandson wear one, or my wife. I'm not right out of high school. Not suggesting that Howard is either. I think we will just wait it out like the most sensible people are doing and stay away from large crowds until it is safe to not wear a mask. But if you must, it would help me out very much to encourage others and go yourself. Because I own units in Cedar Fair. So it would help me if you went, because I would like to see the quarterly distribution come back.

I will take my grandson to KI and ride Orion for the first time. It will also be his first time on DiamondBack, Banshee, Windseeker, and Flight of Fear. But I'm not looking for public consensus. I want to feel comfortable myself. I can't wear a mask at work during heat waves. I wouldn't go to a park during a heat wave. Maybe late September.

I'm not right out of high school either. I'm a 40 year old man with a wife of 10 years and a 4 month old baby. And I'm an industrial mechanic. It's hot in our shop. If I don't wear it, I will be disciplined. Enough discipline, I will likely be fired. I guess you're in a position that you can tell your employer you won't wear it with no consequences. Lucky you that you have that power. I make too much money to risk my employment. Easy to replace a job, hard to replace a good job. Plus we're essential so I have that going for me as well.

I'm glad you've come to terms with your limitations and decided to stay away from the park. For everyone's sake.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

If the park REQUIRES wearing a mask at all times, then I will wear masks at all times. If the park only REQUIRES a mask to be worn in certain situations, then I will wear a mask at those times. I will do those things, but doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Just like when your wife asks you to do dishes; you don't want to do it and may complain under your breath, but you still do it. Now if the park lifts the requirements, you bet your bottom dollar I ain't wearing no mask

I happily help with the dishes without even being asked. Does that make me a sheep?

Jeff said:

It's a mitigation tactic. A seat belt won't save you in every car accident, but it dramatically increases your chance of survival.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/seat-belt-advocate-killed/

Sadly, even something as common sense as a seat belt has people fighting the required use of them. You'll never win with humans who would prefer to live a life in ignorance then follow a simple guideline to help keep themselves and others safe because "GoVeRnMeNt iS InFrIngInG oN mY RiGhTs!"

My own mother hated seatbelts and refused to use them until cars got annoying with seatbelt alarms. Thankfully she didn't become one of those people who just permanently puts the clip in to deactivate/bypass the alarm.

Well then substitute dishes with a task/chore you do not enjoy...

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

I don't enjoy the dishes. But I also don't neglect what needs to be done until I'm "told" to do it. In fact I can't even imagine being "told" to do something in my house. I didn't want to take the trash out the other night in the pouring rain. But I wasn't going to only do it if I was nagged to do it - it had to get done so I just did it.

Well then extending your logic, maybe you should consider wearing a mask forever. You can't ever be too safe. I know nobody told you to do it, but it is the right thing to do.

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

That's stupid and hyperbolic.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Cargo Shorts said:

^^ Facing straight forward I am sure it is just fine. However have you ever looked over at your ride partner after an element or they let out some loud reaction? I am no aeronautical engineer but have spend a decent amount of time sailing and wind can be an incredibly powerful force on cloth and I have never approached coaster speeds on the water.

Get a DN Ice yacht and approach coaster speeds on hard water while laying on your back. A bit more thrilling than your usual coaster.

The Worlds of Fun reservation system went live this morning if anybody is interested in what to expect. It looks like you can reserve 2 dates per pass at the same time, and daily hours are 11am to 7pm.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service