Cedar Point 2013

I bet so, Scream looks like a mess.

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

xtremecoasters said:
Umm, anybody else think not tearing up the parking lot before pouring the footers is not a good sign? I've never seen a parking lot be torn up AFTER they pour footers.

It is probably easier to work on solid ground rather than mud and sand. Get everything constructed with concrete under you and then bust it up to lay grass. Makes sense to me.

Speaking of parking lot coasters, Woodstock Express looks like it was built in a gravel parking lot.

And are we really speculating that they're not going to tear up the asphalt with potentially two of the busiest operating weekends of the year left?

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD. said:
Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Apollo's Chariot was the first B&M without seat belts. It opened in '99.

Mantis opened without seatbelts in 1996. I believe they were added the following season.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

They will probably put dirt in over the asphalt when the ride is finished. That's what SFGAm did in 2003 when they built Superman: Ultimate Flight

Ralph Wiggum said:

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD. said:
Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Apollo's Chariot was the first B&M without seat belts. It opened in '99.

Mantis opened without seatbelts in 1996. I believe they were added the following season.

I've been told that when Raptor opened it didn't have seatbelts either. Two clicks and you're in.

I always got humor when looking at the added seatbelts on Mantis, that they had stamped on them --For Marine Use Only--... The current seatbelts do not have that text on them. :)

GATEKEEPER-I came, I rode, I was mildly disappointed; until a second ride (rear left) put GateKeeper back on the...it's a nice ride list.

PB-Reader said:
I always got humor when looking at the added seatbelts on Mantis, that they had stamped on them --For Marine Use Only--... The current seatbelts do not have that text on them. :)

Maybe they had to have this stamped on the seatbelts because Mantis sits on water... Just a guess! :-)

Oh wait, you said Marine and not Marina... Ok ignore my last sarcastic posting! lol

99er said:

xtremecoasters said:
Umm, anybody else think not tearing up the parking lot before pouring the footers is not a good sign? I've never seen a parking lot be torn up AFTER they pour footers.

It is probably easier to work on solid ground rather than mud and sand. Get everything constructed with concrete under you and then bust it up to lay grass. Makes sense to me.

Maybe, just doesn't seem worth the risk of damaging the new footer by pulling up parking lot after the pour. Hope you're right though.

DejaVu2001 said:
They will probably put dirt in over the asphalt when the ride is finished. That's what SFGAm did in 2003 when they built Superman: Ultimate Flight

That would never work...the asphalt would have to come up before dirt was added.

And as far as damaging the footers while removing asphalt...give any skilled excavator operator 6 inches of clearance on each side of the footer and he won't touch it.

Nick

Looks as though there's plenty of room between the footers and the existing asphalt to make post-footer removal not very risky at all.

Brandon

MillenniumSpork said:
I've been told that when Raptor opened it didn't have seatbelts either. Two clicks and you're in.

The seat belts on Raptor have been there since the ride opened.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

The Register had a nice photo update yesterday. I figured I'd share. Pieces of the crane are arriving. I know this doesn't give us much of a timeline, but it's something to take note of! :)

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/cedar-point

Last edited by Corkscrew Headache,
4 summers of employment in ride operations does stuff to you.

Tennessee_CP_Fan said:

DejaVu2001 said:

That would never work...the asphalt would have to come up before dirt was added.

And as far as damaging the footers while removing asphalt...give any skilled excavator operator 6 inches of clearance on each side of the footer and he won't touch it.

Who says they have to remove the asphalt? It would definitely work. I am telling you EXACTLY what SFGAm did in 2003.

http://www.rcdb.com/1977.htm?p=9600

The fresh asphalt you see in that photo are patches where ShockWave's footers were. As the grass under the ride nears the station and transfer, it goes downhill about 3 feet to the old parking lot that was left under ShockWave.

And while I don't doubt it is possible for them to remove the asphalt after the footers are done, it would definitely be cheaper and easier to remove the asphalt first.

Did you witness them putting the dirt over the asphalt or have pics of it. I'm doubtful there is asphalt under there just because of drainage issues.....heavy rain would cause a big soupy, muddy mess.....

Nick

DejaVu2001 said:
...it would definitely be cheaper and easier to remove the asphalt first.

Unless there are other circumstances that you're ignoring. Like, say, the work site is also an operational amusement park parking lot, for example.

Brandon

Tennessee_CP_Fan said:
Did you witness them putting the dirt over the asphalt or have pics of it. I'm doubtful there is asphalt under there just because of drainage issues.....heavy rain would cause a big soupy, muddy mess.....

I'm 100% positive. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any pictures out there at all. Most of the construction pictures from back then are just dead links now, so I guess there's no way to truly settle this.

And djDaemon, I have trouble believing Cedar Point would even consider parking cars in that area now that they are digging footers.

BRcoastrpsycho34 said:

Tennessee_CP_Fan said:
I'm pretty sure that CP never marketed GateKeeper as the tallest. Everything I have seen states "Longest Drop".

Why does CP say it will be the longest drop? It's a part of the inversion, which I think it should be called 170ft diving loop. Right?

The "Wing Over Drop" is technically a giant dive loop, but it is still part of the first drop, regardless of how you look at it. 164' makes it the largest & tallest inversion on a coaster. Along with it being the longest drop (from running rails to earth) on a Wing Coaster.

Last edited by Cedar King,

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service