Cedar Point 2013

Speaking of picnic area, do we know which ones will be torn down? I always bring my own food when I go during the summers, and if there happened to be a band and school groups there, it was really hard to find an open spot sometimes.

I love the new pictures on the front page! It's interesting that only one thing survived demolition and that was the lights for Disaster Transport's sign. I wonder if they'll somehow keep that or something.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

That area is really incredible real estate! What a view!! Even more impressive than I imagined...

2007 - Top Thrill Dragster
2005 - Magnum XL-200/Camp Snoopy/Monster/Witches Wheel

Looking at the new pictures that were posted, it made me feel like I was looking at an ocean picture. Anybody on here ever stay at a hotel that is like right on the beach? That's what I loved about my Daytona Beach Hotel a year ago. Back on topic though, I never thought Disaster Transport took up that much space.

It sure did. If you check out CP on Bing maps, you'll see how large of a footprint it takes up from a birds eye view.

^ The completed site will look like a postcard picture when it's all said and done. I'm glad to see that they did open up more of the beach by getting rid of more of the trees along the beach from about a month ago. It looks like it did years ago when Avalanche Run was first built. It was hard to really see how much space DT really took up unless you saw the entire site overhead from Space Spiral. You could only see about 35-40% of it from the ground level entrance, the rest extended past the fence toward the parking lot.
Yeah, I agree w/Jeff and am glad to see they're building an off-site maintenance building also (probably had to due to GK construction, I guess). I remember years ago when the Gemini cars would be covered in tarp in the back parking lot (next to gemini's 1st lift hill ) and the Troika cars would be sitting on blocks by the Marina next to Blue Streak (I have some old pics in my album somewhere.) Now if we can just get the parking prices to where they were back then..hahahaha!! (they went up again.)

I miss Disaster, but I did love that coaster more before the building! I love to see the lake!!!

Life is like a rollercoaster! It is full of ups and downs

^^I think the trees are still there. You can see them in the pic below,

http://pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=8260

I think the only trees were towards the parking lot, none over by Wicked Twister or the 12E part.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

I wish I could have been old enough to ride Avalanche run when it was new. How come that coaster is so underrated? I find so many photos and stories about Jumbo jet, and then Disaster transport, but rarely avalanche information. I mean, it was just a regular coaster that park guests rode often like Iron dragon or Gemini or Corkscrew at the time, right? Or did most guests from the 80s dislike it?

Speaking of the beach view, how much of an improvement would it be if they got rid of the All Wheels Extreme and tore down the old Oceana building and maybe put in a cool flat ride.

Miss_Maverick07 said:
I wish I could have been old enough to ride Avalanche run when it was new. How come that coaster is so underrated?

I'm not sure Avalanche Run was considered a coaster (anyone know what was the exact classification?). I did ride it as a child. It was a bobsled minus the ice (with wheels). If I'm recalling correctly, there wasn't a track. It was a very short ride & I remember waiting in a long line. The bobsled rode through a blue open tube.

Welcome back riders! How was your ride? (my son loves saying it..lol)

Avalanche Run, just as in its enclosed incarnation as DT, was classified as a coaster. Bobsled coasters have a lengthy history in amusement parks, dating back to the early 20th century.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Maverick00 said:
^^I think the trees are still there. You can see them in the pic below...

A good chunk of trees were removed from the area, presumably to allow for the footers of the first drop (which extends toward the beach).

There was a large swath of trees that extended almost all the way to WT, and now there's open space beyond the concession stands.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Well, there goes the last bit of charm up front... ;)

I wish I could have been old enough to ride Avalanche run when it was new. How come that coaster is so underrated?

In order to be underrated, one has to be better than the poor rating. From a pure ride standpoint, making it completely dark actually improved it. From what I recall, there were a lot of groans for waiting so long for such a short, un-thrilling ride.

So, AR was prettier but dull, while DT was horrendously ugly and mediocre.

You pick.

Promoter of fog.

Avalanche Run was probably the most boring coaster ever installed at CP, those who didn't get a chance to ride it didn't miss a thing.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Do we know where the waiting area for GK is going to be yet?

Titandwedebil said:
Do we know where the waiting area for GK is going to be yet?

You didn't hear?!?! There will be no waiting area because GK will have the world record for the fastest line on any coaster! So fast, there will never be a line!

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

That is only if you buy Fastlane.

Let's Get Weird.

Wow, that's great news!

I'm sure the fast lane customers will still find a way to get on before me though. ;D

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service