announcement date 8/18/15

I'm just imagining rows of chairs, like the smoking section, with dozens of people with VR masks on. And the occasional weak stomach losing his lunch.

I'll admit it, I didn't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if what I say has already been stated.

With that said, I did read a few pages and it seems a lot of people are making predictions off of font and old trademarks, even the lightning bolt used in the graphic. This is Cedar Point, they don't really do theming outside of the sign (if even that), so trying to guess what ride it will be based on font used in the announcement is just crazy. Unless it's a dark ride, the font will very likely be irrelevant.

On the other hand, this Cedar Point VR thing interests me. My initial reaction is that they actually meant AR and that they were just going to sell you cards of roller coasters and using your phone camera, you'd see them virtually recreated in front of you. Then I read the part where it says "cardboard compatible". Considering this is a Google app, this is obviously referring to Google Cardboard (for those who don't know CLICK HERE). Now I'm thinking we'll get some kind of virtual coaster ride throughs (nothing too complex, as this is supposed to run on phones and if it doesn't run smoothly, you will get sick).

They also mention VR being tested on an existing coaster. I can only assume this is separate from the Cedar Point VR app. The one on the coaster will likely be much more durable and absolutely nailed down to the coaster car itself (safety first). For me, I know I don't want to wear something on my face that other people just wore, especially considering how hot it gets and how sweaty people get. This will undoubtably also have a negative impact on load times. I must note that Matt made it a point to emphasize that this is just a test, so I don't expect this experience to be open to the public (at least not at first). Personally, I support anyone who's trying something new, so hopefully they can make it work.

We're just a couple a weeks away. Not much of a wait and then we can put all this speculation to rest.

Last edited by Skippy,

Skippy said:
I'll admit it, I didn't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if what I say has already been stated.

With that said, I did read a few pages and it seems a lot of people are making predictions off of font and old trademarks, even the lightning bolt used in the graphic. This is Cedar Point, they don't really do theming outside of the sign (if even that), so trying to guess what ride it will be based on font used in the announcement is just crazy. Unless it's a dark ride, the font will very likely be irrelevant.

I see no harm in discussing it.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

Didn't say there was any harm to it, only stated my observation as to how far reaching it's become (although, not unexpected).

How can anyone think CP would name a dive machine Centrion over Valravn? Also, I think this coaster will be historic because of how many records it will break. Tallest, longest, fastest, possibly steepest (93 degrees?) Dive machine. Most inversions on a dive machine, worst color combination on a roller coaster, tallest inversion, most steel coasters in one park (I think), first backwards dive machine...ok I'm kidding about that one. How many other records could there be?

The only way I see a coaster of historical size fitting in the area recently cleared is if Cedars is removed and Perimeter road re-routed. Otherwise.. I'm thinking small/medium family coaster.

Last edited by Augustmueller,

I guess people are underestimating how huge this cleared land is.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Sheikra and Griffon's layout would fit well within the cleared land and more track could fit within that space if the track twists in on itself.

2018- Raptor

I suppose. Steep up. Steep down. I digress.

there's a large swath of land there, way bigger than what would be needed for a medium sized family coaster, regardless of steepness of the up/down.

Seeing how long it actually took for them to fully remove the Good Time Theater and prep the land, is it possible for them to remove the dorms, reroute the road, and build a whole roller coaster in the off season?

If the answer is yes, then I would like to see the coaster be built in the area of the GTT and dorms only. If it were built behind raptor in the space of turn pike cars, I feel like it would be too close to raptor/bluestreak. I think they need to build a gemini-like midway behind the raptor/next to blue streak (*with trees to please all you shade people*) to make the area a little more open.

Is there any possibility CP adds two coasters/attractions this offseason?

I feel that the space already cleared plus the land Cedar is on would open up ample room for 2 attractions (Dive+Woodie or Dive+Dark).

I doubt it.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Seems like a lot of folks are already preparing for an epic case of anticipointment.

Buckeye122 said:
Is there any possibility CP adds two coasters/attractions this offseason?

I feel that the space already cleared plus the land Cedar is on would open up ample room for 2 attractions (Dive+Woodie or Dive+Dark).

I believe that this area will be used for a multi-year expansion rather than all of it used in one year. This is a very valuable piece of land for the park seeing as empty plots of land aren't easy to come by. I would expect that they would want to make it last as long as possible.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low for now, although my anticipation is building. I feel like the writing is kind of on the wall already. They will probably announce a dive coaster that will be about 20 ft taller than Griffon with a few more inversions and nothing crazy innovative and the park will receive loads of enthusiast crap which it is totally undeserving of. I would be thrilled with a Griffon clone for all I care. I love dive coasters and have always thought the Point should get one in typical CP fashion. If it turns out to be any sort of dive coaster, I will be absolutely thrilled. If people say it's forceless and don't want to ride it then it means shorter lines for me.

2018- Raptor

It's Disaster Transport 2 isn't it?

:D

I'm just here for the comments really.

-A Coaster Boy from Toledo that Loves rollercoasters and everything to do with them.

The word historic made me think of something. What if instead of referring to the ride itself it was referring to the name. Centurions were in ancient Rome which is pretty historic. Just a thought.

Not a big fan of virtual reality. I just like reality.

Easiest way to explain it? If I had a choice of touching a woman...or virtually touching a woman...it would be a no brainer.

Just give me a good ride and leave the googles.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Of course, with some of the women I've met, goggles help, especially beer goggles.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Most people don't use VR to virtually experience something they can already do. They want car chases, space battles, mystical creatures...well, you get the idea. I don't think think VR would be gaining prominence if they were selling it on virtually experiencing everyday life and I certainly don't think thats what Cedar Fair has in mind. They could even bring back Disaster Transport by retrofitting an existing coaster using this method, so it feels like you're flying through space with all kinds of action happening around you, all synced with the moments of the coaster. Something like that would put Mission: Space to shame. As Matt said, this is a test and may very well never amount to anything.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service