2012 Pass Renewals

It is absolutely worth something. It is pretty much the reason my family gets the Platinum since I am the only one that ever seems to get to other parks. But I don't know how to quantify what it is worth. So in terms of covering the cost in one/two/three/four visits I don't know what else to do but compare the cost of the regular pass to the platinum pass if the pass is only being used to go to Cedar Point. But yes, it does have a soft value, and that value will be different for every individual.

And don't tell me that it is priceless:)

Shades said:
But I don't know how to quantify what it is worth.

And don't tell me that it is priceless:)

That pretty much is the definition of priceless :-)

Of inestimable worth

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

I got mine tonight, and it was $149 for my P. Pass 2012. That isn't a bad price for me.

For the 2011 platinum passes we bought, we went to Canada's Wonderland 2x, I visited 3 days @ CP in July and we're coming for Halloweekends for 2 full weekends.

We'll definitely be renewing for 2012. I already planned a 2 day visit to Kings Island (never been there) followed by a 3 day visit to CP next July. Canada's Wonderland again 2x and maybe CP 3x next fall. Platinum passes are definitely worth it for us...I only wish we lived closer!

Massive Fannibal and Cedar Point lover!!! Lover of Pennywise 2017!

For the record Shades, if you were referring to me saying I broke even with my 3 trips it's because I had an overnight trip. Regular pricing would have been $31 (resort rate) x 2 days + $43 (one day admission less getaway guide coupons) + $43 + $10 parking +$10 parking = $168. Close enough to breaking even.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

But for $100 you could have gotten a regular pass. Add $20 for the two days of parking and you would have spent a total of $120 instead of $168. Spending and extra $48 is not breaking even in my book.

Now if you tell me that getting in early on your two non-resort stay days is "priceless" well then I guess you broke even.

I wouldn't say Early Entry is priceless, as it's pretty easy to put a price on it.

Let's say that during the course of a full day at the park (12 hours, to be VERY generous), you're able to queue for and ride 8 marquee attractions. Taking even the discounted admission rate ($43) gives a per-attraction cost of $5.38. I'll be generous again and call it $6.

During Early Entry, it's pretty easy to get 4 rides in. That provides a valuation for Early Entry at $24 per day of use.

Given that Vince used his pass-provided ERT for 2 days, that means his pass-provided ERT is valued at $48 for the year. I should note that I actually didn't go into this half-baked calculation with the intention of finding $48 as a result; it just worked out that way.

From this perspective, the Platinum Pass is a pretty insane deal. Every day you use it for Early Entry, it's like adding $24 to its value.

Brandon

I have gotten a pass since 92 and I plan on getting one every year. My wife started getting hers on 97 and we started getting them for our kids in 05. We have a nice summer home off the causeway and we use our passes very often in the summer. It's very economical for us to get the pp.

Ride-on

For the record again I'm not against the pass in any way. I've been a passholder for the past 4 or 5 years but this year I took two other major vacations which took away from my time that I usually spent at Cedar Point or other Cedar Fair parks. I do not regret buying the pass as I really hope to get back for Halloweekends. I'm just saying that I used my pass much less this year than I expected to.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

I'm not knocking you for getting the platinum pass. My family has them as well, and like you we have not used it much in the last couple of years. But we buy it every year because we like the perk of getting in early on the handful of times that we go and we say every year that this will be the year that we go back to King's Island although we never do. At least we hit Soak City once a year to help justify the cost.

That's the big one for us - the ability to visit Soak City. We don't always have the chance to utilize that ability, but being able to do so at no real cost (kinda sorta) holds a lot of value as far as we're concerned.

And we're the same with regard to other parks, Shades. It's nice to have the option, and we always say we'll do it this year, but haven't yet. Though I think we'd be more inclined to head to Canada's Wonderland, especially next year (though I do fear the crowds).

Brandon

Brandon, just go on a weekday, preferably early in the season, and it's frequently not bad at all.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

I do love having the ability to hop over to Soak City for a few hours in the afternoon on a hot day. Definitely worth the cost for me.

Every time I read this thread I make a mental note that I need to renew my pass, then end up forgetting about it. Between that and buying HHN tickets + the Express Pass, my wallet will be a bit lighter in the coming weeks...

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service