2008 Pay Scale

I thought that there might be enough discussion about this to warrant its own thread...
The 2008 pay scale has been announced:

-$7.00 per hour base rate for most positions
-$5.80 per hour for minors under 16
-Earn an extra $0.35 per hour for every hour worked!
-Bonus Period: March 3, 2008 through November 2, 2008
-HalloWeekends Bonus: $1.00 per hour starting September 8, 2008 for employees 16 and older.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/jobs/benefits/index.cfm

Allow the complaints, applause, and neutral remarks to commence... :)

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

Consider me..Not surprised, but disappointed and slightly annoyed.

edit: After having let this sink in a little bit longer, I'd say I'm more than slightly annoyed. *** Edited 12/12/2007 12:38:40 AM UTC by kirk06***

2007 - Wicked Twister
2008 - Wicked Twister
2009 - (Walt Disney World) Space Mountain/Tomorrowland Speedway

And the hole keeps getting deeper.

And what was it last year?

Once again we get screwed on our bonus. I can't wait for 2009, maybe it will be .15. When will enough be enough? They just won't learn. Well, that pretty much says it all and as of this posting I will not be returning to CP in 2008. I'm going to work at Hard Rock Park in SC. Employees get $10.00 an hour there and you don't have to worry about stupid grooming guidelines. I can grow facial hair and wear my earring. SEE YA !!!!

2 Years and out......Way to go CP!

No, actually, in 2009, it will be $0.20... seeing as how the minimum wage will increase to $7.15, and 35 - 15 is 20. :)

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

I too, am not surprised.

This will not affect my decision to come back but it is putting a sour taste in my mouth.

I am one of the people who is unable to work weekends after I go back to school and if something happens during the summer that might make me leave, there is less and less keeping me there.

Regardless of all this, I am still looking forward to another fun season ahead!

2010: TL Millennium Force
2009: TL Iron Dragon | 2008: ATL maXair
2007: Wicked Twister | 2006: maXair
2002-2005: Ride Photo

So its the same as last year except the halloweekends bonus. Cool, that should solve staffing problems. (yeah right)

I would have thought the base would stay the same, the bonus would increase, and they would just get stricter on bonus payouts(ending early, not doing enough weekends, etc...)

Since im still in high school ( I dont Graduate till '09 but will be 18 by the time May 10 comes around). I'm not all (notice All Is In Itallics)that worried about the new pay scale, as long as i get to work at the best place in the world(IMO)

Kyle A...
"Every thing else is a ride Thunder Canyon is an advnture."
Thunder Canyon crew '08
"Rebel of the West
Maverick Crew '09

^^It is not the same. In 2007 the base pay was $6.85/hour and the bonus was $0.50 for the entire season. The base pay was increased, the bonus during the normal season decreased, and a new $1.00 bonus was added for Halloweekends.

I like it, but I wasn't that picky over this years pay scale.

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

^If only more of the employees were like you. Too many people on here being greedy that's for sure.

We're not being greedy. It would be different if we were wanting more for no reason, but it is not fair to us that Cedar Point keeps lowering the bonus.

The bonus is what keeps a lot of employees there. In July when the hours are long and a lot of people feel like quitting the incentive of a bonus helps keep them there. Even this year $0.50 was barely enough to keep some employees there, and I know a lot of people who quit because an extra $200 was not enough to keep them there.

I love Cedar Point and am going to work there no matter what the bonus is, but not all employees feel this way.

2007: Top Thrill Dragster
2008: ATL Top Thrill Dragster

CPboy77 said:
^If only more of the employees were like you. Too many people on here being greedy that's for sure.

Greedy? Your kidding me right? Really I am in shock.

<Matt>
101 on Magnum and counting...

CPboy77 said:

.....Who are you? Have you ever worked a season at CP? I'm guessing you haven't, because you would not feel that way if you had. I wish to say alot more, but this really isn't the proper forum.

-Miker-

Kristy Jo said:

The bonus is what keeps a lot of employees there. In July when the hours are long and a lot of people feel like quitting the incentive of a bonus helps keep them there. Even this year $0.50 was barely enough to keep some employees there, and I know a lot of people who quit because an extra $200 was not enough to keep them there.

EXACTLY, the bonus is supposed to keep people (and save money kinda). when it was $1, you had $700 to $1000 to look forward to. I know several people that left for other jobs instead of attempting to get their bonuses this past season. So i dont even get how they think .35 is going to keep someone. And the promise of $1 an hour isnt gonna keep people for later in the season.

CPboy77 said:

Greedy, eh? So people working 60-80 hours per week, earning only $7.00/hr (minimum wage) without getting any "overtime" pay due to it being a seasonal job, and asking for $1/hr bonus is GREEDY? I'm sorry, but I don't think that's asking too much. Especially considering how much money the company is probably saving by providing us with sub-par living conditions and offering next to no benefits to those working their asses off all summer.

No, I'd say asking for $1/hr bonus isn't being greedy. It's being realistic and pretty darn reasonable. Once you've worked a summer at Cedar Point, you know what kind of work it is and what conditions you're in the whole summer. While I love the job and might be back next year, this isn't leaving much of a good taste in my mouth. As an employee who loved his job, I don't feel like I'm very appreciated. Not being appreciated isn't going to make too many people feel like staying...and even those that do, well, the quality of the employees will be less than stellar. And even those good employees that do stay, for the love of the job, will be pretty burned out and not near as enthusiastic about the job.

So, again....GREEDY???

*** Edited 12/12/2007 2:32:48 AM UTC by kirk06***

2007 - Wicked Twister
2008 - Wicked Twister
2009 - (Walt Disney World) Space Mountain/Tomorrowland Speedway

CPboy77 said:

Ummm...first of all, have you worked there? Second of all are you attending a private university that is costing you approx. $24,000 a year, aside from the fact that there's little hope for me getting an academic scholarship, not to mention I'm basically maxed out on loans for my freshman year? Something tells me not. When you're in that kind of situation and looking at close to, if not more than $100,000 of debt after four years, maybe I'll accept what you just said.

Now, onto what I think about the announcement...they're lucky I have basically already committed myself to working at the park again this coming summer, otherwise I would be looking at other options, like SF Great Adventure or Hard Rock Park. If this trend continues they can count on me looking almost exclusively at Disney once it comes time to start looking at internships and such. They're not only burning bridges with past employees with moves like this, they're also making it less attractive for the base of people out there that actually "shop around" for a good job. Say what you will about the experience, but at this point, the fact that I'm looking at $100,000 of debt after I graduate is a much bigger thing for me to consider. And like a few others have said, as much as I hate to say this, even if I end up in Live E doing something I love, if I can get better elsewhere and situations aren't improving, goodbye! Let's weigh the importance: $100,000 or the "experience" of working at CP...yeah, if the important one isn't obvious, you need a reality check.

If you want to hear some thoughts about all of this as of last night, follow this link.
http://www.cfvillage.com/podcasts/faircast_20071209.mp3 *** Edited 12/12/2007 3:18:30 AM UTC by BlueStreak64***

Blue Streak crew 2007
ATL Matterhorn Tri. 2008
Three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40, and a hammer. Duct tape if it moves and it shouldn't, WD-40 if it doesn't move and should, and the hammer as the last resort.

The base pay is still less than 1/3 of what my hourly rate would be. Yikes. They really don't want quality employees.

REMOVED: Bad memory and bad math.

I may not have a problem with the pay scale, but I can easily see where others do, wanting a different kind of pay scale isn't greedy. *** Edited 12/12/2007 2:47:59 AM UTC by Gomez***

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

I did not work there for the bonus. Besides, it wasn't much of a bonus anyway. I stayed there because I wanted the experience, and it kept me busy all summer anyway. If they want to keep people longer without increasing the bonus, I suggest doing something with the housing instead. Then again, I don't know if 'good' housing and 'minimum wage employees' would go together.

Ryaи.L мsυ '11 || Cedar ρoıиt Adмıssıoиs 07·09 || Disиey 2010-2011

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service