Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island

I don't mean to suggest they replace those classics - when my kids were younger they would happily ride each and every one, despite them all being basically the same ride, so they certainly serve their purpose well as far as our experience goes. But those canopies, some of which don't even match, and the general aesthetic of the area needs some love.

Brandon

Kids don't look at or for aesthetics. All they see is a ride and they run to it.

Parents do. Ultimately, they are the ones who decide if the kids get on the rides.

True. When I was a little kid one of my first and frequent amusement parks was Camden Park and I thought it was paradise. It wasn’t.
But remember, kids don’t plan the trips or buy the tickets. Parents and grandparents do. And they’re the ones who might make decisions based upon aesthetics- if a place looks outdated and tired they may choose something else. Cedar Point has a way of updating attractions and presenting them as new, so a refresh may not be hard to imagine, although we’ve been talking about it here for years now. Maybe soon. It’s one of the oldest areas that’s still waiting.

It wouldn't take much. New canopies, perhaps move things around a bit to make the carousel more of a focal point, some updated landscaping and hardscaping, lighting from this century, and some shade structures would go a long way.

And either fully embrace and update or get rid of the Kiddy Kingdom castle themed stuff. Right now it's nothing more than a few leftover wooden signs from the original (and much more cohesive) area from the 80's. It looks outdated and out of place.

Also, the "kids don't care" comment sounds a lot like "people gotta eat".

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Color me surprised they didn't have a last chance event and auction of the sections of concrete with dinosaur footprints stamped in it.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

The Kiddy Kingdom Carousel is my favorite carousel in the world, and that's saying something. But it desperately needs a band organ – and given that I know that's not going to happen, then at least a louder sound system and more music. I swear if I hear "How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm" one more time I'm going to lose my marbles.

^ It could be worse like up at Canada's Wonderland where their beautiful Carousel has no band organ and the ride op was singing "If You're Happy and You Know It" for each ride. :)

Oh no, I just heard the news about Forbidden Frontier closing and I'm absolutely heartbroken. This attraction was one of my favorites at Cedar Point, and it's such a shame to see it go. I have so many great memories of exploring the island and interacting with the characters and performers. It was such a unique and immersive experience that really made me feel like I was part of the story. It's hard to imagine visiting Cedar Point without being able to go on this adventure. I'm going to miss it so much and I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

RayP1970: Oh yeah, I experienced that last year and it was awful. So you're right, I'd rather hear "How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm" one more time, given that alternative.

Last edited by Carousel Rabbit,

Has there been any sign of construction/demolition work at Forbidden Frontier, or does the site look untouched?

I rode MF on Saturday and everything seemed to still be there.

The park's MO is typically to leave defunct stuff in place if it's not in the way. And given we know what's coming for '24, that land isn't needed.

It's really unfortunate that the area is inaccessible. I get it, it's a nontrivial amount of land to staff and maintain even without the Live E component, but is such a nice area to get away from the bustle of the midways.

Brandon

So Kings Island announced today they are revamping their kids area from Planet Snoopy to Camp Snoopy and installing a Vekoma Family Boomerang + covered play place in the former theater in that area. And that got me thinking about FF/Millennium Island again. So I present my solution to the dead space. Camp Snoopy: Backcountry. Featuring a slew of new (or relocated) kid flats and the reopening of that absolutely beautiful play place. And featuring a Vekoma Family boomerang themed to a deep woods back country adventure. Also a bridge from the current Camp Snoopy allowing a park cut across without looping the entire park.

Highground was the first thing to come to mind when reading about KI's Beagle Scout Acres.

Brandon

SpeedDemon:

So I present my solution to the dead space. Camp Snoopy: Backcountry.

And here is my solution to your solution.

Promoter of fog.

Actually, I'd rather have Big Bear Mountain, err Big Snoopy Mountain.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I think you mean Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers, coming to a Cedar Fair park near you sometime in the next few years, probably. And while I'd welcome another family-friendly coaster, I personally feel like the lack of a flume is a more glaring hole in their lineup.

Brandon

^ Agreed 100%. While they still have Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon, I prefer to not come off of a ride looking like I just jumped into Lake Erie. I would love to see Cedar Point invest in one of those flume rides with turntables to allow a backwards drop and then switch them back forwards again for the big finale. Mack (among others) makes them and there are some really nice looking examples overseas.

It could be worse. CP could be like Carowinds, which I was totally surprised to find did not have a water ride of any kind. I believe the rapids ride is still there, but it has been closed for years. They also had a flume and chutes ride not that long ago, so I think they would be a perfect fit for a new flume as well.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service