No sky ride on opening weekend?

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

The weather policies for closing rides at Cedar Point is beyond ridiculous these days for both wind and rain.

But even in the best of the best years for ride operations Skyride would close for pretty much any wind at all.

Exactly. I mean, if those gondolas catch even the slightest wind it could cause two things:

1. An adverse ride experience for what is supposed to be a calm, full family-oriented ride (handheld babies and the elderly included).
  2. Catch a gust with a gondola full of people and you could swing into a passing gondola.

Is it likely? No. Is it feasible? Surely enough to take safety precautions, especially with the age demographic of people who might ride.

I was at Kings Island the afternoon they had their sky ride incident. A storm was in the way and a sudden gust of wind dislodged one of the cars from the rollers on a pole. It still had the cable through it but that was rendered useless and just slid through the car. Another car came up behind and struck it causing both cars to halt and lean at a terribly precarious angle. Seriously, we onlookers were horrified as it seemed as if they could fall any second. Then came the expected cold, hard rain. The ride was finally e-stopped but they had to get everyone down. The park was closed and emptied out (which no one complained about) as fire departments arrived. To make matters worse there was no truck with a ladder high enough to reach the pole (those poles were really high). That night the story went live on the 11pm news as they were finally rescuing the passengers. Those people sat up there in the freezing cold rain in their shorts and t shirts that entire time- they were fine, save for a bit of hypothermia.
Moral: nobody plays when it comes to Skyride safety. And actually there aren’t many parks that still maintain and operate their Von Rolls, perhaps for that very reason. In the 60’s and 70’s it seemed every regional featured one or two but not any more. They’re mostly gone.
I find it strange that some people have the time to sit at home (not even at the park) and compulse over whether rides are operating or not, especially when a glance at the webcam can pretty much tell you anything anyone here might know. Sorry, but gotta say.

Interestingly I just looked at the webcam and see that the sky ride has been stopped with cars on the wire. I think there are people in them but its hard to tell.

Are you sure you pushed the arrow? I just looked and it’s operating just fine.
And yeah, that happens. I’ve been on it when it’s stopped and that usually has to do with a loading problem or delay and might last a minute or so.

It was definitely stopped. The video was playing as Wild Mouse was running and people were walking on the midway. My guess is timing is everything and I just happened to look at it when it was stopped.

Let's wait for Coasterhawk's associates to report back the latest information from the park before we make any assumptions.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

The sky ride stopped operating at 5:00 p.m. this afternoon. That is my report from my operatives.

Lies. It’s operating currently.
I’m so mad that I care about this now. I have to stop looking.

I was watching the cam and at 5:00 all buckets were taken off. Maybe they opened it up again, but I was not

making a false statement.

Making no statements is the only way to guarantee accuracy.

I was at the park this past weekend, and it completely stopped 3 different times, possibly more. I was on it going from east station to west station the first time it stopped. The view was amazing, but didn’t like being stuck. Luckily it wasn’t for very long 😂

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Skyride will not open today!!

yukonman

If you're not at the park, who cares if the Sky Ride is running or not?

CoasterHawk:

That is my report from my operatives.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service