Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Technology and product aside, I can tell you that Zamperla is really good at building relationships. Developing a coaster division didn't start last month, and they wouldn't have made the investment without some commitments.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff:

around the sunken purple Millennium Force train

*sigh*

It was green. DUH!!! There's even pictures somewhere around here from the body panels that were spotted during a Winter Chill Out tour.

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Anyone more familiar with the manufacturing process have insight on the track pieces shipped to Italy? Would Zamperla use these to basically model the new track pieces?

They wouldn't ship them to measure them. They can do that here.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Got it - any idea on why ship the pieces at all?

Presumably to do some manufacturing rework to them, with the assumption that they are being reworked for a new launch mechanism.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Jeff:

underwater, around the sunken purple Millennium Force train

If Halloweekends had anything remotely approaching a Universal HHN budget, this would be an amazing haunted house or fright zone theme. Something with Lovecraftian or John Carpenter's The Fog vibes, with barnacle-encrusted coaster train wreckage and maybe some tangential references to Oceana and the old aquarium. Could totally see a promotional poster of some tentacled Lake Erie monster pulling Wicked Twister into the lake.

I think it's fair to assume name, color and layout changes with the specific way they worded the press release. They are not stupid, and do things for a reason. Because at this point, I think people would be disappointed with all this buildup and secrecy to just reopen with a different type of launch that non enthusiasts wouldn't even notice the change.

I think beyond speculating on what is going to be changed with the ride, I now wonder WHEN we will find out. During the holiday video?

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Nah, based upon my skim of this thread before joining, I agree with other folks that say they want all focus on the boardwalk for 2023.

MrJohnJLewis:

Because at this point, I think people would be disappointed with all this buildup and secrecy to just reopen with a different type of launch that non enthusiasts wouldn't even notice the change.

From what I've observed, non-enthusiasts almost universally believe that Dragster is being torn down. Just the fact that it's reopening will be major news for them.

Jeff:

While I didn't have time to get a good look at the Velocicoaster trains, I finally got a lap last weekend. Intamin finally got the seats right. The overhead lap bars are snug but comfortable despite the serious airtime. It's also possibly the best coaster I've been on.

Completely agree re: Velocicoaster. Easily the best seats and restraints out there. And while I would give Steel Vengeance a (very) slight edge, I would argue that the Mosasaurus roll at the end of Velocicoaster is the best element on any coaster out there. It genuinely feels like you're being flung into the lagoon.

I think that's accurate. I'm also not sure how much of the general public was aware of the incident last season.

MrJohnLewis, based on years past, we're immensely more likely to see some red herrings pointing to a 500' coaster in the holiday video than anything pertaining to actual plans.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

People keep talking about the "press release." There was no press release, just an unremarkable image post on Twitter, the essence of which had less than 50 words. Y'all hang on every word as extraordinarily intentional, and you probably have taken issue with the marketing superlatives used in the past for various attractions.

I agree if the video has anything, it'll be a joke. How about winter chill out though? Now that we're getting closer, what are the chances they release any info at or near the event? I'm sure people will bring their selfie sticks to get pics over the wall (assuming it's still up). Think anything will have changed between the season end and February? Will that area get any webcam time before then? I hope they can say more than 'no questions about dragster'.

I'm still hanging on the repeated 18th coaster line, even with the high chance of disappointment.

For more completely unfounded speculation, if they have better LSMs now, what about a faster than 120 launch with the existing layout? Get some airtime at the top of the tower, give CP a way to hype the changes.

Last edited by Hudson,

A faster launch wouldn't just give more airtime at the top, it would also increase the Gs on the pullup. I doubt that's something they want to do.

MrJohnJLewis:

I think people would be disappointed with all this buildup and secrecy to just reopen with a different type of launch that non enthusiasts wouldn't even notice the change.

Just because you would apparently be disappointed with "only" a new launch, trains, and controls system (bringing increased capacity and reliability) doesn't mean the other 99.999% of park guests would be. You're not being objective. To 99.999% of the park's annual guests, there is no "buildup". You're giving enormous meaning to meaningless marketing words because you have a desired outcome for the ride.

Also, when have they ever announced a major cap ex project during the holiday video?

Brandon

Jeff:

It's also possibly the best coaster I've been on.

The Velocicoaster hype is real. (Of subject, but it easily jumped up to my favorite rollercoaster in Orlando after getting a ride on it). (Rides like Velocicoaster were why I was hoping Intamin were involved)

And DJ I think you may be missing his point. I think normies would be confused when TTD reopens just with a new launch. Likely, they won't notice the difference in acceleration caused by the new mechanics. So if CP opens with the same name, theme, color etc then the general public would be confused why they announced its closure in the first place.

Also, the marketing language CLEARLY is not meaningless right? You and jeff act like Tony handed an iPhone to an intern and said "Type whatever dude". The communications from the park so far clearly have been very intentional, to say otherwise is just silly.

Last edited by Frog Hopper King,

argues just for clicks

^You kinda lost me with "normies", that kind of thing is cringy.

Also, I have to think that the vast majority of people (aka "normies") who go to Cedar Point probably have no idea that Top Thrill Dragster was ever even closed to be honest. We have a tendency here to act like the average every day family that makes a trip to Cedar Point once every couple years or whatever, pay attention to any of this. People like us are a VERY small percentage of the annual CP guests. The people who might be disappointed, realistically don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Normies= General public. IE, people who are not enthusiasts. It's not derogatory. It's more of a statement of our involvement in fandom than it is disparaging the regular attendees.

If you go to the tweet announcing the closure you can see what casual fans of Cedar Point thought about TTD closing. The general reaction was disappointment and shock.

argues just for clicks

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service