Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

👍👍👍

heric:

Perhaps those that think the layout is getting extended provide some solid reasoning/evidence?

Keeping the same elements as TTD does not fit the "retired" or "reimagined" in CP's press release. I would think CP wants to make the ride somewhat different to get people's minds away from the 2021 accident as much as possible- similar to removing the loop & having different trains on SoB (although the name didn't change).

I do agree that as of right now there is nothing supporting my speculation. I also do not believe the ride will be operating in 2023. The track/ trains may have been removed for testing purposes with a target of 2024/ 2025. If a new layout is in the mix, it likely is not set in stone yet. From a coaster design standpoint, there really has not been a lot of time between the accident, deciding to keep some of the ride and what the end game of what "reimagined" really means.

I just can't get away from what Kinzel considered his $25 million "dumbest decision" to have the same exact elements again.

But again, 100% speculation on my part.

Beer and golf Thursday thru Monday, Cedar Point & beer, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Can you see One-Eyed-Willie from the top of Magnum?

Browntggrr:

Keeping the same elements as TTD does not fit the "retired" or "reimagined" in CP's press release.

Only if you are intent on misinterpreting marketing nonsense as some indication of the scale of their plans. Of all the speculation, those using the park's marketing terms as a basis for anything are by far the least based in reality, which is really saying something.

I can only assume those extrapolating any meaning from the press release would assume new trains and an LSM conversion would have had a press release like this:

Our team is dispassionately putting in a half-assed effort to reopen Dragster with an uninspired alteration of the ride's launch technology, creating an experience that will be so close to the old version of the ride that we're annoyed we even had to put together this dumb press release.

Brandon

That "press release" made me laugh. Thanks Brandon.

Frog Hopper King:

logical fallacies

This doesn't mean what you think it means. "Delusional" is not attacking the person when the person has offered no reasoning or logic for what they're suggesting.

So you should probably get over this.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

[-]

I would like to read any/every body's thoughts.

Dissuading them from posting isn't very "webmaster"-like.

I'm thinking one would WANT posts on "their" website.

Clicks and monetizing and visitors and all, ya' know?

To be honest, I feel website "owners" should avoid posting,

at least under their real name. It actually SCARES some

folk into a feeling of needing to agree "or else".

And do not tell us you "welcome opposing views".

That is a lie. Don't deny it. That would be another lie.

Last edited by DaveDzRochNY,

Yeah, I'll pay for this so everyone else can use it. There's an opinion I welcome and embrace.

Seriously, if you feel like you're a victim, there are some groups on Facebook you can join. I'm completely not interested in butthurt on the part of people who refuse to engage in critical thinking and reason.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Yet again if you don't agree with some on this site you are pounced on. Amazing.

The age we live in, hide behind the screen, no more meet me by the flag pole afterschool and discuss like a man. A true sign of weakness.

Bet you some on this site could never have these conversations/debates face to face because they live in a pretend world behind their computer.

"Welcome opposing views", yeah sure......if you believe that I have some Ocean Side property in Kansas to sell you.

No one feels like the victim here just pointing out the obvious. Look in the mirror if you want to see who feels like the so called victim. He's staring right back at you.

Makes a whole post about how he’s a victim. States neither he, nor anyone else thinks they’re a victim. Hmm.

I can assure you, I’m not hurting for approval from you, or anyone else. I know plenty of people from around these parts, personally, and I’m certainly not “in hiding”, but please continue your little tirade.

Jeff:

Yeah, I'll pay for this so everyone else can use it. There's an opinion I welcome and embrace.

Seriously, if you feel like you're a victim, there are some groups on Facebook you can join. I'm completely not interested in butthurt on the part of people who refuse to engage in critical thinking and reason.

1. I never claimed "victim". So knock it off.
  2. I never claimed "butthurt", so that can be shoved as well.

I have yet to see proof or evidence that says only

a launch / train / theme change is happening.

Just as I have not seen proof or evidence in the OTHER

direction, either.

Use your "critical thinking" as a suppository.

Unless... of course... you have an "in" and know all

the details already. But you've attempted to put that

conspiracy theory to bed, multiple times.

Even if you do have an "in", you of all people here

should be handling it better. You're doing a pretty

crappy job at making this website "welcoming" at all.

And yeah... that is part of your JOB.

Last edited by DaveDzRochNY,

Dude, is your enter key stuck?

22 years, I've never heard such wild accusations of over-compensation and unfairness and what a terrible person I am because I called out someone who was convinced that the next ride would dive underwater, around the sunken purple Millennium Force train, back up through the world's tallest restaurant and a bonus 5,000 feet of track on Gemini. And this will certainly mean the end for our little hobby site, obvs!

Deleting all of the noise from here on out. If you wanna talk about Dragster, go for it.

So anyway, in terms of things that are reasonable, I'd love to see a silver and purple color scheme for this reimagining. You don't see purple that often in roller coasters, and throwing some shiny silver on it would make it really sparkle in the sunlight.

The color scheme idea was floated around; I would actually welcome that change as well. I'm just not the biggest fan of, well...yellow.

Personal preference.

I'm excited about the design of the new trains. Parks have been able to get a lot more creative lately with designs that are well themed to the rides, and Dragster's design never really recovered from the loss of the tire in the back...they just took the tires off. The dragster theme alone invites a lot of creativity.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Silver supports and purple track would be a unique color scheme. I'm not crazy about yellow either. Especially since nearby Iron Dragon (which could use new paint) has been sporting similar colors for almost two decades.

I don't think a name change is really necessary, maybe drop Top Thrill and simply call it Dragster. A rocket/space theme could work, but I feel MF already gives that kind of vibe.

I still remember when the red and white track was stacked over by Breakers Express and you had a group of folks utterly convinced that Dragster was secretly going to be a dueling coaster while coming up with very creative explanations for how much less white track there was in comparison.

I get the visual effect of the red and white, but I agree that I'm definitely down for a color change, preferably if it comes with a combo deal to repaint Iron Dragon too. Just leave the countdown lights on the tower alone, please and thanks.

Purple please! The park is completely devoid of purple track and these coasters:

Dragster

Magnum

Iron Dragon

Maverick

Rougarou

Valravn

Steel Vengeance

*edit- Wild Mouse 🤣😂😅

all currently sport a track color on the red/orange spectrum. Basically everything in the park is red/orange or blue other than Raptor. It’s honestly a little silly.

Last edited by CPVet,

Due to the language of the announcement, I am expecting still a name change, Theme change, and possible color change. Tony is pretty intentional with his language, he has been in this game for a long time, and he knows that his words are going to be picked through.

As per the color, the tricky thing is picking a color that's not to "Out there". Its the biggest structure in the park, so picking something like purple might make it look a little weirder. Im going to guess that they stick with primary colors. My prediction is Orange and Blue.

Further predictions: height 420 feet, speed 120 MPH, Duration: 12-16 Seconds. I know, I'm basically a prophet.

Last edited by Frog Hopper King,

argues just for clicks

Orange and blue, also known as the New York Knicks. Or Islanders. Or 80's Cavaliers.

Kevinj:

I'm excited about the design of the new trains.

I'm kicking myself for not actually sitting in the Zamperla train at IAAPA, because I'm curious about the fit of the restraint. While I didn't have time to get a good look at the Velocicoaster trains, I finally got a lap last weekend. Intamin finally got the seats right. The overhead lap bars are snug but comfortable despite the serious airtime. It's also possibly the best coaster I've been on.

^^ Those lightning trains (Zamperla) certainly looked comfortable, and non-invasive with regards to the restraint. Not ashamed to say I'm jealous of the Velocicoaster credit.

On one hand, there's the possibility that the re-do is all Intamin. OK. Newer train designs and a recently announced new LSM tech. Makes sense. But then there's Intamin and Cedar Point's relationship.

On the other hand, there's the possibility that Zamperla (with their not so subtle hint that they are about to get involved in several projects) is involved. Wild Mouse was years in planning, and it makes sense that after the Dragster incident happened they were like..."well hey, CP...look what else we're working on".

Promoter of fog.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service