Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

MarathonCoaster :

They have actually built a vertical LSM “launch” in Dubai

Right, a much smaller tower, launching at less than half the speed of TTD, and doing so indoors. And Storm Runner opening first didn't result in TTD being reliable. Like I said, I would seriously question the fitness of any CF executive who would green light another ride form Intamin, especially a first/second-of-its-kind ride.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me over and over and over and over again, shame on me."

Brandon

Brandon, I agree. However, I would question that same CEO if the LSM launch from hydraulic launch is really the only change going on. Either option seems like a lot of cash on a 20 year old experience. You know what they say about lipstick and pigs. Or sows' ears and purses.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I heard that, since MF's lift motor has been so problematic, they're going to extend the drop from Dragster's top hat over that way and turn the main lift into a 310' bunny hill. The ride will be called "MF'n Dragster" and will be combined into the first StrataGigaHyperLSM, with launch work done by Vekoma.

There is much more info on the new tech here.

If you take a few minutes and read through what they're really selling, Jeff's assumption is correct. This is meant to be used as a launch or a lift (or both), and here are the key "selling points" to anyone here who is building their own amusement park:

Strongest LSM launch available on the market
Panoramic top hat with anticipation stall possible
Launch directly into the first (inverted) ride elements
Combinable with single-, multi- or swing-launch-sections
Comfortable, state-of-the-art trains
Most comfortable restraint system for maximum freedom

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Doesn't get better than maximum freedom.

vwhoward:

I would question that same CEO if the LSM launch from hydraulic launch is really the only change going on...

It appears that in addition to a new launch, there will be an entirely new controls and blocking system, which could offer dramatic improvement in reliability and capacity, which would provide positive ROI, even if those changes are less flashy than the launch tech itself.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

e x i t english:

The ride will be called "MF'n Dragster"

And Samuel Jackson will be the narrator.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

"Maximun Freedom" in a marketing pitch sounds too much like a certain feminine product.

vwhoward:

However, I would question that same CEO if the LSM launch from hydraulic launch is really the only change going on.

I’m in the same boat. Anything less than a pre- or post-Top Hat layout change would be a massive disappointment to me based on their press release. But to be fair I’ve been in the “rip it down and start from scratch” boat since the accident.

We must have read different press releases I guess, because I can't fathom how anyone could make such a wild assumption based on the few meaningless words I read.

Brandon

Tweet from Tony this morning mentioning “That thing over there” and “A debut in November”

https://twitter.com/tonyclarkcp/status/1585628418623913985?s=46&t=7...Ar7GJsgZcg

djDaemon:

I can't fathom how anyone could make such a wild assumption based on the few meaningless words I read.

Because a new less forceful launch system and a paint job with an identical out up and down back layout does not make “A new and reimagined ride experience” imo.

What exactly did you expect them to say? "A ho-hum and unimaginative update that will leave you massively disappointed?" If you extrapolate marketing nonsense into specific outcomes you have only yourself to blame for the ensuing disappointment.

And for what it's worth, a new, more reliable launch & control system and higher capacity does make a "new and reimagined" experience to me.

SpeedDemon:

“A debut in November”

The Season of Joy, debuting November 18th at Sawmill, would be my guess.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Based on the emoji used for the “debut in November”, I’m guessing it will be some development with Wild Mouse. Maybe the mouse car will arrive? Vertical construction?

Well, my suspicions were correct. I wouldn't call 25mph a "launch."

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

djDaemon:

What exactly did you expect them to say? "A ho-hum and unimaginative update that will leave you massively disappointed?" If you extrapolate marketing nonsense into specific outcomes you have only yourself to blame for the ensuing disappointment.

Well no, what I want is amusement companies to stop being so secretive about their plans and stop beating around the bush and just announce their damn plans once they are set in stone. What's the harm in telling us exactly what they are doing with TTD the moment track started coming down?

Now, I know you'll probably bring up the poor woman who was injured, but if a few months ago wasn't the time to make an announcement on what's going on, why is, say, next January any better?

And I want TV shows to stop ending on cliffhangers. Just tell me what happens in the first episode, so you don't keep me waiting all season to find out the plot twist. [biggest eye roll I can muster here..]

The whole point is to keep people engaged and wondering what's going on. Sorry you're impatient, but there's a little thing called "patience" that you should have learned in kindergarten or so. The marketing/PR department is doing their job by letting out a tiny bit of information and letting it stew - just like movies or video games putting out a preview or a band releasing a single for an album that won't be released for 8 months. See the connection there? It's all entertainment - that's how the industry works.

Last edited by e x i t english,

The injured guest aside, in what way would it benefit the park to tell you now?

Added - Yes, what Josh said. Should Star Wars A New Hope's opening crawl explained that - SPOILER WARNING - Vader was Luke's father? That would be pretty dumb.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

PyroKinesis09:

Well no, what I want is amusement companies to stop being so secretive about their plans and stop beating around the bush and just announce their damn plans once they are set in stone.

Then what would you have to talk about on the Internets. I know from experience that people are more interested in what's not known than what is, after years of looking at site traffic. There are a lot of professionals whose job it is to figure out how to get the maximum result from the announcement of a new product. None of them believe that what you're asking for is the way.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

djDaemon:

could offer dramatic improvement in reliability and capacity, which would provide positive ROI, even if those changes are less flashy than the launch tech itself.

I guess. And that's great for the ride itself and the park. But the GP would have no clue anything changed besides the theme/paint, maybe trains. Even a new launch could go unnoticed to quite a few people. But I guess that could still mean "reimagined". I'm not saying raise the height or get crazy with a layout. I would say I'm in the camp of just get rid of it altogether and reimagine the space somehow sometime. I would rather they did that. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that, though.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Oh I know I'm absolutely wrong in my thoughts, but you can't compare movies, something you watch with excitement hoping for a good plotline, to an amusement park saying what a ride is being updated to. If people spoil movies, people get pissed. If someone posted a 100% accurate listing of what every Cedar Fair park is planning, people would be like, hell yeah, bring it on.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service