Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Cedar Point for many years was known as the Amazement Park and Americas Roller Coaster snd for good reason. They’ve always lead the way when it comes to the biggest and best. But they were lacking in the past with what they are focusing on now too with the addition of new food and venues. What I’m saying is they can’t forget their roots either. Mix it in.

What percentage of CP's annual revenue comes from international guests? Hell, what percentage of their annual revenue comes from guests west of the Mississippi?

Your question is actually my entire point.

Like any business you want to increase your market share. Cedar Point already has the local economic entertainment dollars. They have for the most part, maxed that out.

They need to push the international vacation destination envelope to grow.

Sorry but don’t see Sandusky, Ohio as a vacation destination. Weekend getaway or couple day getaway maybe but vacation destination that’s a stretch. Have to have more to offer around the area to be a vacation destination and that isn’t happening in Sandusky, Ohio

It may be an international destination for folks who are of a comparable level of coaster nerds, but I agree that I sincerely doubt Cedar Point is on the radar of the majority of hypothetical international travelers. At least as the primary destination, I've known a few that have looped through the area as part of a bigger trip, but none that have gone "just" for Cedar Point.

If Cedar Point was closer to Cleveland, you might be able to make it a stronger argument, but even then for as nice as I personally find the Cleveland area, it's still not gonna be in the top 10 destinations for someone from wherever saving up to visit the US.

MagnumMatt:

Sure I do. But it has done them well in the past.

At the expense of... everything else?

Food was AWFUL, but "people gotta eat"

Breakers was a dump, but "people gotta sleep"

The beach - the ENTIRE reason for the existence of Cedar Point - was massively under-utilized, with a 50 foot rectangle people could dip their toes in.

In-park music was played over horns everywhere, and the playlist hadn't been updated since who knows when, but it was.. something.

There was absolutely NO nightlife - nothing to do after the park closed to keep people who were staying entertained, or to pull people in later in the day and keep them past closing.

Industrial prison/elementary school/rest stop buildings with block walls and an institutional feeling.

I mean, I could go on and on, but you get the point. At least people got to say "Wheee!"

Never said at the expense of everything else, the mentioned items you stated needed done for sure but my point is don’t forget your bread and butter from the past. Mix it in with the other awesome improvements. That’s all I’m saying don’t for get your roots. I like what they’ve done and it’s made a huge difference. Even the water park improvements were a must in my mind.

Last edited by MagnumMatt,

MagnumMatt:

But it has done them well in the past.

That’s all I’m saying don’t for get your roots.

If you're an adult working in a real business, tell people how "we've always done it this way" works out for you. That sentiment will absolutely fail. Guaranteed.

Master D:
I am a bit puzzled myself why some here appear to be downplaying the importance of premier coasters at CP.

They're not. You know they're building a new coaster right now, right? You're confusing diversification with prioritization. It's not a binary or zero-sum arrangement.

Those of you stuck on this whole ALL THE ROLLYCOASTERS THE BEST AMAZEMENT!!!! are looking at this like teenage fanboys. Cedar Point is not a sports team. You're ignoring the fact that attendance has been essentially flat for decades at this point, even while they've added more and more days to the season. (I'm old enough to remember Labor Day as the end of the season.) The market is saturated, and frankly at risk because of the slight migration of people out of Michigan and Ohio. The only way you grow is to find new ways to get people to spend money, whether that be by way of in-park offerings or completely new businesses like Sawmill or the sports park. Another gigantic roller coaster will not move the needle, and it's questionable that it's even the reason to maintain the status quo. At best it's a good way to increase park capacity so people spend less time in line, or replace rides that reach the end of their service life.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

MagnumMatt:

Never said at the expense of everything else

You don't have to, because those things, and much more all suffered for the sake the the coaster war. The experience at CP outside of coasters for the longest time was absolutely stale and unwelcoming - you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

What are we even arguing about? I don't really think that CP is never going to ever install a large coaster again. They know that's a big part of their history but they also know they want to diversify themselves a bit because I'm sure for each enthusiast complaining there are an equal or greater number of families asking for exactly what they're currently planning to deliver.

If you're an adult working in a real business, tell people how "we've always done it this way" works out for you. That sentiment will absolutely fail. Guaranteed.

Don’t disagree that you have to improve but if certain aspects work why move away from that is what I’m saying. Keep doing what works but add to it and improve it. To me cedar point has been the leader when it comes to the biggest and best, keep that mentality and build on that. I guess you can say they have with SV a few years back and since they’ve done other kick butt improvements. Just would like to see another state of the art killer coaster soon.

I don't really think that CP is never going to ever install a large coaster again

I disagree, I think it’s not if it’s when.

There's a double negative in there. Yes CP will eventually build a new large coaster project. Hell it may have been sooner had their hands not been forced on a TTD adjustment

MagnumMatt:

the leader... the biggest and best

You keep using superlatives but you can't explain why any of them result in a more robust business.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

e x i t english:

Industrial prison/elementary school/rest stop buildings with block walls and an institutional feeling.

But enough about the Raptor bathrooms

You keep using superlatives but you can't explain why any of them result in a more robust business.

IMO. I guess if you don’t agree with others here your opinion doesn’t matter. I don’t agree with everyone’s opinions here but don’t pick them apart either. To ME cedar point has always been the leader and produced the biggest and best coasters.

Many of their coasters were ranked the best many times.

Jeff:

Then answer it with something that isn't the park's marketing or the meaningless AT poll. Also, how did this superiority affect other parks? And by extension, why does it mean they have to concentrate on roller coasters?

In Economics you know the only things that really change are where peoples allotment of funds are spent.

Cedar Point has to be chosen over Six Flags, Buch Gardens, Disney, Universal etc.

They need to compete. Its next to impossible for Cedar Fair to compete with 500M Dark Rides.

However, they can differentiate. They have marketed themselves as the thrill ride capital of the world. That is an avenue they can compete in to steel visits and market share from other parks.

The "local market" for the most part, is tapped out. Extending that reach and pulling from external markets will lead to growth.

Magnum Matt:

Sorry but don’t see Sandusky, Ohio as a vacation destination. Weekend getaway or couple day getaway maybe but vacation destination that’s a stretch. Have to have more to offer around the area to be a vacation destination and that isn’t happening in Sandusky, Ohio

Again, bigger picture. Yes you dont consider it an international vacation destination now.

But thats the dream, the end goal, that's what they are working towards making it.

-You have a beautiful Peninsula on a massive freshwater lake, with the best white sandy beaches in the state and summer temps in the 80s and 90s with a beach side resort.

-Cedar Point is building an E-Sports Arena

-Theres a Kalahari, which is definitely a world class facility.. AND Castaway Bay.. AND a Great Wolf Lodge.

-Theres a Safari Adventure park.

-Theres Arcades and Haunted Houses

I mean.. thats alot of attractions in one area and theyre continuing to invest. The whole Sandusky region is becoming essentially built on tourism.

MagnumMatt:

I guess if you don’t agree with others here your opinion doesn’t matter.

You know what they say about opinions. Obviously you feel strongly about yours or you wouldn't insist that it's right. There are people around you who have tried to explain the business to you and you continue to insist that your feelings should drive Cedar Point's decision making. If you can't handle your opinions being challenged, the Internet is not the place for you. If we didn't do that here, we'd be left with a bunch of threads about what our favorite colors are. That would be pretty boring.

NextGen89:
They need to compete.

With whom? You should read John H.'s book. It has the answer.

Master D:

I know plenty of non-enthusiasts and over the years the only times we really discuss CP is when new, premier coasters are built.

My coworker lived in NC when she got married. Her and her husband chose Cedar Point for their honeymoon because they had heard there entire lives that it was the best place to ride rollercoasters. They are not "Enthusiasts", just fans of thrill machines.

argues just for clicks

Valid points Jeff….

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service