Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

^The reply button isn't what you're looking for. I think you want to use the quote link, which looks like the quotation marks. Next to reply. You need to select the text you want to quote. I assume this is stop people from quoting an entire post is the only want to respond to a certain part of said post.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

TwistedCircuits:

So this isn't directly related to TTD but I noticed what looked like a Mach extreme spinner in the iron dragon plot and I would love to see that YouTuber post a video of that because I don't see it anywhere on their channel.

I did notice that, if you find it let me know. Just make sure you have your feasibility study done beforehand lol

Last edited by JL42,

There’s also a pretty little blue green number where Corkscrew currently stands. So…
Why anyone is getting excited, hopeful, overly analytical and/or butt hurt over a fantasy some YouTuber made up is beyond me. I’m sure you can find hundreds of them to drool over if that’s what floats you’re boat, but I don’t think posting them here is helpful.
It seems just about everyone has a solution to this mystery- what if none are right?

YouTube has some great stuff, and an awful lot of crap made from video they didn't make themselves. It's annoying.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Yea just stumbled across the video thought it was cool because it illustrated some of the ideas I saw discussed in this post. Exactly why it was posted with “obviously speculation but intriguing”. Wasn’t meant to be a stance or concrete. Just a cool thing to discuss. :)

Last edited by JL42,

RCMAC:

It seems just about everyone has a solution to this mystery- what if none are right?

This is actually what I'm hoping for.

Promoter of fog.

Well, I think what is happening does seem to support the idea that they are scrapping the hydraulic launch. I wonder, if LSMs can get the train up to speed in time, would they maybe leave a few retractable brakes to help stop of there's a roll back?

Kevinj:

This is actually what I'm hoping for.

A halibut omelet?

0g:

would they maybe leave a few retractable brakes to help stop of there's a roll back

They shouldn’t need to. LSM Stators should act as brakes on their own.

Yes, if you've ever seen Maverick's lift cut out for some reason, the train gently comes back down.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

...except, apparently, on Lightning Rod where an aborted launch caused the train to come zooming down the lift hill until they installed safety brakes .

Not sure why that is; the stator coil is basically a coil of wire wound into a short circuit, meaning when the power is off it should behave more or less just like a copper brake fin interacting with the magnets on the train.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Exactly. The LSMs can act as a brake as well. Let me rephrase my question. Say the hypothetical LSMs can get the train up to speed before the end of the old launch section. Could they have left a few retractable brakes at the end of the launch section to have a little more stopping power than the launch stators can provide when the train rolls back? I'm just wondering why they removed 90% or so of the retractable brakes, but left those last few.

Very strange to see the track without all of its original components. Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Is Montezuma’s revenge at knots being converted to magnetic launch?

Og, they probably are going to finish removing remaining 10% during the week when the park is closed during the week.

I'm back! Still the biggest Rougarou fan you'll ever meet. ;)

Shawn, why the new account?

Joe

Augustmueller:

Is Montezuma’s revenge at knots being converted to magnetic launch?

Yes, here’s the full rundown of what’s being changed. The old flywheel launch is being replaced with a magnetic launch, and the really interesting part is the launch will be randomized, where the train could start out by unexpectedly launching backwards up the back spike to start, or it could launch forwards as before. (The announcement page gives an awesome nod to this, saying, “the way forward might not always be as expected.”) Of course, the big downside is the train is being replaced with a new train with OTSR’s, instead of the lap bars and seat belts as before. The train is being manufactured by KumbaK, who does make vest-style restraints, but who knows if they’ll go this route.

Last edited by bootymix96,

Thank you! I thought I recalled reading something about it months ago but with a quick and lazy search I could only find articles that stated “reimagined” (there’s that word again).

Long live the Schwarzkopfs!

Yes, they could be planning to remove the rest of the retractable brakes in the "off" half of the week. Except that about the same number of brakes remained this past weekend as the weekend before. I could easily be remembering this wrongly, but I recall the one section or so worth of brakes being on the station end of the launch. I only had a few seconds to look at the launch while flying over on Iron Dragon, so maybe I'm backwards.

For nostalgia reasons, i hope they keep some of the brake fins. The hissing noise of the brakes retracting added greatly to the anticipation of the launch.

Ravine Flyer II - The Gravity Group does it again.

Cross posting, since I was looking at Red Force photos, I saw this. I mean, he did it, but he's a special kind of stupid.

Sure, he's dumb. But he's also strong AF, has amazing stamina climbing that thing, and balls that clank.

Joe

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service