Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Frog Hopper King:

And Jeff you actually proved my point.

No, I've only pointed out that your Intamin fandom varies from you arguing that they push boundaries and are innovative to successful for using proven stuff. So which is it? Are the injuries and deaths any less real?

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I don't see how it couldn't be Intamin.

No company in their right mind would take on the liability of modifying a ride they didn't originally design that's already caused serious injury to a person and was more or less flawed from the get go.

If, as is speculated, the launch, controls systems, and trains were replaced, the only OEM stuff left would be the ride structure itself, which to my knowledge has no inherent flaws. So I fail to see how this would be an issue.

Brandon

A part of the ride bolted to the structure literally failed and almost killed a woman... but yeah, no inherent flaws.

A part of the ride bolted to the train came into contact with the ride's brake system, and that train component almost killed a woman. New trains would presumably not use the same flag plate nor would they likely use the same braking system.

This is an example of someone having a desired outcome - Intamin being involved - and highlighting or omitting evidence to better reach the desired outcome.

Brandon

Intamin fan boys everywhere right now:

I’m curious as I haven’t a clue.. say an amusement park installs a ride from Imtamin. When the park need replacement parts such as wheels, bearings, brakes, launches, etc. would the park source them straight from Intamin or is there a “J.C. Whitney” catalog to order generic/off the shelf?

Hi all. Long time lurker here, but the uncertainty surrounding the future of Top Thrill Dragster has certainly piqued my interest.

Before, it was mentioned that Wicked Twister’s LIM system required a direct power line from the main land. Does anyone recall if a similar line was routed for the LSM launches on Maverick? Perhaps if such a line exists to supply power for Maverick, they could tie into it for a potential LSM launch for TTD? I’m certainly no electrical engineer, but it’s just a thought.

P.S. I’ve enjoyed reading through the evolution of this thread and the many before it. I am thankful a platform like this still exists in the age of social media.

-Andy

Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but itโ€™s your choice to scream or enjoy the ride.

That line was run to feed Wicked Twister and Dragster.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

A major number of components in modern amusement rides are outsourced to specialty manufacturers. That's how Gerstlauer got into the business, among others. Unless there is a do not compete clause in their agreements, yes you can buy those components directly from the source.

djDaemon:

And it's not as though I chime in and swat away every bit of speculation, just the really bad predictions.

Ok- so Cedar Point announces that Top Thrill Dragster is being retired (as we know it). They say the innovative, creative team is “reimagining” a “new ride experience”.

And you think that me predicting Intamin changing the layout of the ride is a bad prediction.

What part am I missing?

You're not missing anything.

You're simply not agreeing with the right person/people.

Last edited by DaveDzRochNY,

Jeff:

No, I've only pointed out that your Intamin fandom varies from you arguing that they push boundaries and are innovative to successful for using proven stuff. So which is it? Are the injuries and deaths any less real

I really feel like you didn't engage with my argument at all. Intamin has greatly improved the nuts and bolts of how their rides operate. They have a better track record right now. I'm not sure they are known as the people who are just "Pushing boundaries". I really don't consider myself an Intamin fan more than any other coasters. I am positing that Cedar Point MIGHT work with the original developer to flip the ride, especially because they seem to have improved their track record with their newer attractions. If they are being contracted to flip out to LSM's and redo some of the nuts and bolts that make the ride work I feel like they would be perfect to work with. (Especially with seeing how Red Force has such a great LSM launch.)

At the end of the day, I think it COULD be Intamin, but it could likely be a different developer.

argues just for clicks

Tilt-a-Whirl:

They say the innovative, creative team is “reimagining” a “new ride experience”.

This is precisely what I mean when I say that some people will highlight or omit evidence/data/etc. in order to reach their desired outcome. You're taking meaningless marketing terms and extrapolating that out to tens of millions of dollars of investment into a 20+ year old ride structure, not because this is the most likely outcome based on evidence and data, but because that's what you would do if you were CEO (or playing RCT).

Here's the relevant part of the park's statement:

However, Cedar Point’s legacy of ride innovation continues. Our team is hard at work, creating a new and reimagined ride experience.

All they've said is that whatever is happening will be "new and reimagined," which could mean literally anything. They could change nothing other than the theme/name of the ride and that would qualify as "new and reimagined," and it wouldn't cost $40 million.

Frog Hopper King:
Intamin has greatly improved the nuts and bolts of how their rides operate.

It was only six years ago that StR closed after being in operation for less than 5 seasons.

Brandon

"ONLY six years".

At what point does it become a non-problem?

Frog Hopper King:

I really feel like you didn't engage with my argument at all. Intamin has greatly improved the nuts and bolts of how their rides operate. They have a better track record right now.

Your argument, to me, is not relevant. McDonald's might make better "food" today, but I'm still not going to eat it because the experience sucks and I don't like the way they treat their employees. If you think that mechanical track record is the only thing that matters when working with that company, I assume you haven't heard from people who hate working with them. I can't tell you how many bridges they've burned.

Jeff noted:
That line was run to feed Wicked Twister and Dragster.

...and as a result (and some other issues as well), you could hear noise in the Dragster PA speakers every time Wicked Twister's motors fired.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

djDaemon:

You're taking meaningless marketing terms and extrapolating that out to tens of millions of dollars of investment into a 20+ year old ride structure, not because this is the most likely outcome based on evidence and data, but because that's what you would do if you were CEO (or playing RCT).

It is the most likely outcome. The last major roller coaster to be installed was a record breaking multi-million dollar coaster built on a 20+ year structure- so I’d say that’s a great deal of “evidence and data” ๐Ÿ˜‰

DaveDzRochNY:

"ONLY six years".

At what point does it become a non-problem?

Let's say over the years you've purchased multiple KIA vehicles, and they've all had numerous issues, forcing you to deal with incompetent, argumentative warranty and service departments. In fact, one of those vehicles had to have major components replaced before you could even take delivery of it, leaving you without a vehicle for weeks, forcing you to cancel long-awaited travel plans. These vehicles are so unreliable that they frequently break down, and replacement parts are expensive and hard to come by, leaving you stranded relatively often. One of those vehicles actually fails multiple times, sometimes in ways that endanger your dear family, resulting in medical treatment being necessary.

And it's not just your bad luck - most KIA owners have similar experiences, some far worse, where vehicle occupants are killed through no fault of their own.

Finally, because you're a masochist, you purchase yet another KIA, and not only is the vehicle delivered late, but it never works correctly. You patiently try to work with KIA to make things right, but after some token attempts to fix the car they basically tell you to go pound sand, even after a car malfunction nearly kills you and your family. So you're left with a vehicle so unreliable and dangerous that you have to abandon it after only 15K miles.

Would you purchase a vehicle from that company ever again, much less after "only six years"? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Brandon

Tilt-a-Whirl:

The last major roller coaster to be installed was a record breaking multi-million dollar coaster built on a 20+ year structure...

I had pancakes for breakfast. Does that mean I'll have pancakes tomorrow? You're creating causation that isn't based on anything.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service