Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

Dutchman, do you really think they would troll with TTD in any way considering the reason it is closed in the first place? I'm pretty sure they're smarter than that.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I think it is most likely coming down.

But, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that they not only move the queue, but also extend the track to accommodate an LSM retrofit.

Then you alleviate most of the mechanical and operational cost issues, plus the underwriting ramifications given the history of cable failures on this, Ka & Xcelerator. The ride is fully amortized and cost is off the books after 20 years, and my guess is that the retrofit would be less costly than a major new attraction, even with some additional elements added after the tophat.

I haven't seen the markings being discussed, but I wonder if they are consistent with this possibility?

My understanding is the incident happened on the brake-run side of the ride. So even if they were to convert to a LSM launch (which I highly doubt regardless), I don't believe it would even solve the problem that occurred.

I feel like the process of extending the track to accommodate a new launch system would be more expensive than just tearing it down... which you would have to do anyway, as you would have to move the tower back closer to Camp Snoopy and the like.

Scott Cameron said:

My understanding is the incident happened on the brake-run side of the ride. So even if they were to convert to a LSM launch (which I highly doubt regardless), I don't believe it would even solve the problem that occurred.

Last year's incident happened on the brake run side. But, to underwrite and insure the ride, all of the risk factors are considered, including the danger inherent in the hydraulic launch system, as evidenced by its track record on this and other installations.

Beyond that, undoubtedly part of the park's calculus on whether to keep or remove the ride includes a cost-benefit analysis, where maintenance headaches and costs are factors leaning against retention.

LSM retrofit ostensibly solves all of this.

Last edited by DA20Pilot,

The incident indeed occurred on the brake run of the ride. Roller coasters have to have a brake run regardless of the method in which the roller coaster is propelled. Many of the other coasters in the park have brake runs near areas park guests are allowed. So converting the launch to LSM will not address this issue. The argument can be made that dragster is faster than the other coasters, but Millennium Force’s brake run is next to the queue, even though the ride is only traveling 60ish mph when it hits the brakes, a piece of metal flying off that train will still injure someone near by. I think this whole decision will come down to mitigation of future occurrences, if the engineers have reason to believe this could happen again, we will soon see cranes. If the engineers determine this can be prevented/repaired, and the ride will serve its purpose safely for X number of years, they can recommend reopening. Cedar point is a business, and will make a smart business decision based on the facts, costs, and engineering available to them.

I may have some bad news for Team Taer It Down*.

From Iron Dragon, a quick glimpse suggests there is a grid of immature plants in the infield of Dragster’s station turnaround. It’s hard to see, and I didn’t see where the bushes had been ripped out, but I wonder if they were ripped out solely for the purpose of replanting.

—Dave Althoff, Jr.

*That’s an obscure rec.roller-coaster reference

—DCAjr

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7OrWBZ1fN4

This guy thinks he has evidence of TTD staying and getting revamped. Five minute video with some decent points made.

Perhaps the markings extend so far because even a simple que re-alignment would require lighting to be moved… perhaps bathrooms will be moved or revamped which would require utilities to be marked for new sewer and water line tie ins. Maybe there’s a transformer pad over by back beat that needs to have new conduit run to it for additional lighting and power needs of said revamp.

Maybe there is a zero percent chance TTD is removed… we’ll find out soon enough I guess.

Gotta say, I love this conversation because we can each have our own thoughts and idea of what will happen, and some will be wrong, but it doesn’t matter because we’re just having fun speculating. The fact there isn’t anything out there giving it away is the exciting part.

First ride; Magnum 1994

I feel old saying this, but if you are enjoying this speculation thread, the thread over Dragster's construction was 10 times as good. The battles over the tower footings alone were epic.

Let's all promise not to turn this into a pissing contest.

Promoter of fog.

DA20Pilot said:

LSM retrofit ostensibly solves all of this.

At what cost? You'd have to move either the station or the tower to make this possible given my understanding of the limits of LSM compared to the hydraulic launch. Moving either of those would be... cost prohibitive, to say the least.

RideMan said:

...there is a grid of immature plants in the infield of Dragster’s station turnaround. It’s hard to see, and I didn’t see where the bushes had been ripped out, but I wonder if they were ripped out solely for the purpose of replanting.

Riding ID last Tuesday, the bushes had been trimmed down pretty low, so all that was left were the first foot or so. But they weren't removed. Is it possible this is what you saw?

Brandon

As far as I know there have never been any safety issues with the launch side of the ride.

Maybe it wouldn't be as "crowd friendly" but why not move the queue to the launch side where the

grandstand is, then construct a new walkway around the "back" of station with a new entry ramp.

If TTD is staying, I wonder if most of the changes are queue related, not ride related. That is to say I don't imagine a new launch system or extended track. Of course it goes without saying that one operational factor that 100% will be changed is the use or fastening system of that "L" shaped plate that injured the guest.

I was looking on Google Maps and they could put the entrance of TTD where the dragster car prop is over by Dragster photos. That way, the queue area could utilize some of the Blood on the Bayou walkway and not be near the brake run where the train enters at high speed.

Another thing to note is that on Google Maps, TTD is listed as temporarily closed rather than permanently closed. Not saying that is an indicating factor, but also not sure if CP would be the one to report that info to Google.

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

RideMan said:

From Iron Dragon, a quick glimpse suggests there is a grid of immature plants in the infield of Dragster’s station turnaround.

Because you can't stage plants there to plant literally anywhere in the park? It's not like they're using that space for anything else.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

RideMan said:

I may have some bad news for Team Taer It Down*.

*That’s an obscure rec.roller-coaster reference

I feel like in hindsight one of the other lingering effects of the coaster wars has been a seriously skewed perception within the coaster fandom of what constitutes a "good investment" for a given park.

My memory's seriously hazy, but wasn't "taer it down" originally from someone wanting Lakemont Park to get rid of Leap the Dips and build a Raptor clone?

rpbobcat said:

As far as I know there have never been any safety issues with the launch side of the ride.

The launch cable snapping is definitely safety related.

Right, and you know people getting free piercings from the shards of metal that stuck in their faces and arms when the cable frayed.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service