Maverick restrictions?

We’ve discussed over and over why Kings Island has a certain advantage over Cedar Point in terms of customer service and in particular, the ability to hire seasonal workers. I was served mainly by high school students.
I’ve been to both parks this season and so far I’ll give the edge to KI. Both parks looked great and everyone at each was friendly. But at KI ride availability is what set them above and beyond.
I feel fairly confident that the higher-ups at Cedar Point haven’t deliberately set their sights on providing a lesser experience for their guests. Why would they deliberately try to do that? I’m assuming they need and would like to keep their jobs. I’ll guarantee you this- somebody who calls Sandusky their home lost sleep last night over this issue. Nobody wants to come in 2nd place.
I don’t know what the answer is- I think we all agree that CP is unique when compared to other regionals in the country. It’s hard to come up with another seasonal park anywhere with the amount of rides, restaurants, and sleeping rooms that Cedar Point has to staff. I don’t have a hard time seeing that most of Lavaroach’s laundry list of reasons to be unhappy is a direct result of staffing issues.
I live in Columbus and my pass will likely get the most use at KI this season. It certainly is an easier trip for me, and things are better there. The good news for them is that their big sparkling landmark anniversary is not taking place at the height of a pandemic. It’s all coming up roses in Mason this summer. But I’m not going to crybaby myself over CP. For now at least, it is what it is and I have to believe they actually do care.

Now if only Kings Island would hire a sound engineer who isn't *deaf*. The EQ curves on International Street, particularly during their special closing show, are downright painful...in fact almost as painful as the lap bars on their PTC trains.....

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

I needed to take a phone call while at KI and the music was so loud everywhere- I had a hard time finding a place quiet enough where I could hear.
Today’s population has come to expect a constant bombardment of music everywhere. And if it’s not provided, out come the ear buds and headphones.
Btw, If any of you young people are dreaming of a lucrative career, you might look into hearing pathology. They say there’s going to be a serious need, much more than ever.

Lol! Heard the same thing about kids and music in the 70's.

Lavaroach said:

This is 100% a thing. Maverick was always the most accommodating ride for larger people and the ride ops will now try to force the bar down to touch your legs, slamming it down until you’re in pain.

Has this been consistently done? I thought a couple weeks back we had conflicting reports that this was a new policy, or just a random or sporadic occurrence.

removing rides and adding restaurants

This is an improvement, not evidence of things going "downhill." It's a mature park with a few, in some cases notable, holes in their lineup, and their food offerings have been abysmal until the last few years.

no pass holder ride nights

close early then upcharge to adult only time

close early, even on weekends until mid June

don’t give ert on the best rides to coastermania at night, give it to your up charge bs.

If these changes continue beyond the tight labor market, I would agree that this is evidence of a considerable reduction in the quality of the product. But for now I would just assume they're doing what they can with what they have.

But even if we assume these are purposeful, long term changes unrelated to the labor shortage, do you expect them to reverse course if you and others continue to purchase a season pass year after year regardless? If people are still paying for a product despite cheapening the product, what incentive do they have to do otherwise? Vote with your wallet.

Brandon

And the number of people I know that are my age who need hearing aids is amazing. Back in the 70’s we didn’t really have ear bud or headphone technology, so it’s going to get even worse. We just abused our eardrums with loudspeakers and deafening concerts.

As a drummer, who has been playing live music for 25 years, all I have to say is... WHAT??

RideMan said:

Now if only Kings Island would hire a sound engineer who isn't *deaf*. The EQ curves on International Street, particularly during their special closing show, are downright painful...

It looks like they got rid of the Bose environmental setup they had down International Street and replaced it with, (possibly) JBL J-shaped arrays. If it's what it looks like to me from what I can tell, there are 16 tweeters and 4 LF drivers in that array - JBL is always a bit harsh sounding to me, on the highs, and that'll do it.

What has happened to SoundBuzz?

My last 4-5 years at CP the overall experience has gone downhill and isn't what it used to be IMO! The overall Operations have gone downhill, All these new ever changing rules and policies for coasters, rides and the continued push for Fast Lane etc! What really makes me mad is alot of the coasters I've had issues with the ride crews telling me where I have to sit and when I ask them I would like to sit in a particular seat or row there like no I need you in this row which makes me mad!

Think about how mad you’re gonna be when you have to change your name, D.

The change of policy on Maverick was an Intamin decision not the park. The new rule sucks but there really wasn't anything the park could do about it.

RCMAC said:

Think about how mad you’re gonna be when you have to change your name, D.

If they remove TTD I will change my name lol!

Rode it for the first time this year at CM, no issues and I am a tall guy with a tall torso and had no issues even though the restraint was not touching my legs.

That One Coaster Guy, how do you know that it was a change that came from Intamin & not the park? 🤔🤔

not trying to be critical or argumentative, just asking out of curiosity.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Jake10 said:

That One Coaster Guy, how do you know that it was a change that came from Intamin & not the park? 🤔🤔

not trying to be critical or argumentative, just asking out of curiosity.

I had a conversation with the rides department at another park who was saying that Intamin made a change on a number of their coasters where the restraint now has to be touching the guests legs

I rode Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa today and I don't ever recall any rule like that being in place but then again the restraints have always touched my legs so I probably wouldn't even notice any rule like that.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

We just got back from a June 18 - June 21st trip, and the Maverick rule was real, but now it is gone. I spoke with the measuring stick guy and he said too many people complained about not being able to ride. My wife and I would not have been able to ride before, so we are happy it is back to normal now.

Now a 29 time Steel Vengeance survivor! Two time Winter Chill Out dude.

Generally ride/rider policies are not modified because "people complain". Then again I'm not the measuring stick guy.

I believed him since he was of "exceptional size" as am I , so we tend to hold knowledge of what rides we fit on. And the test seat at SV is a liar, I rode just fine this weekend.

Now a 29 time Steel Vengeance survivor! Two time Winter Chill Out dude.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service