Cashless

To XS's point, there's probably some data out there saying that when cash is used as a tip, customers are more likely to round up to another dollar. If they have a $22 bill, they might tip $5, rather than exactly 18% or 20% which is now often even printed on the bill, or suggested by the tablet that the customer signs with their finger.

With that said... I completely agree that it's rare to see cash used for food/retail transactions any more, either inside the park or at stand alone businesses.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I guess we'll all find out when everyone (or nobody) quits their jobs at Kings Island in mid-July.

Especially after reading RCMAC's post (and to Jeff's point about speed), I would venture a guess that the main reason(s) a park would make this move has more to do with streamlining/simplifying work behind the scenes, rather than what type of transaction you or I would prefer.

Add to that two things: 1) you figured out a way not to exclude the small percentage those who can't pay electronically free of charge with the kiosks, and 2) most guests would probably prefer this anyway, and it becomes a bit of a no-brainer.

I still like my idea of bartering with small non-domesticated animals, though.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Jeff said:

I don't think the transaction speed is materially different from a good cashier counting change and auth'ing an electronic payment, depending on the infrastructure. I've routinely watched Disney's network take upward of 15 seconds at the various festival stands. When I worked retail, I could easily count change in that time.

I pretty much always prefer using cash. I find it easier to manage my spending. I don’t think anyone under 40 knows how to count back change anymore. I did always find Cash Control a fascinating operation. They handled BUSHELS of it!

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

Kevin, that plan didn’t work out so well for Sue Lowden 11 years ago.

However, I did notice the Barnyard doesn’t have any Emus this year so that may be a possibility come pass renewal time.

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

Saturday on PPV - CashBuzz vs PlasticBuzz

Paisley said:
I go into the bank lobby and have pleasant conversation with the tellers when I do my banking too. Apparently I am a freak.

Not to be another "I can't remember when guy" but... Your comment got me thinking about the last time I was in my bank and I can't, well I can't remember when. In fact in the 10 years I have been using this bank, I think it has only been three times that I have visited. Once to set up my account, once to take my bucket of change in, and once to get a car loan. And the car loan trip was kinda funny because they told me to call a number and that I didn't need to come in to the bank for a loan. So the two car loans I have done were entirely over the internet.

Jeff said:

I don't think the transaction speed is materially different from a good cashier counting change and auth'ing an electronic payment, depending on the infrastructure.

Places like Publix have it set up right. I can tap my card as soon as the first item is scanned and I can be done with the POS experience before the cashier is even done with my groceries.

Last edited by 99er,

Having been in a managerial position in both specialty retail and forty plus years in the amusement industry, the handling of cash was always fraught with problems. I had a problem with rehashing tickets.This was before POS systems for small businesses became available and affordable. I bought a dual token vendor and a bill change machine. Most of the problem disappeared (although not all of it, that took some more purging). If I was still managing a business today, I would definitely go cashless. To those who say that I would lose their business, from my experience, it would be less than what I was loosing when I had cashiers handling cash.....

And there we have the real issue. Cashless is what you do when you can't trust the people who handle your cash. In other words, it's technology being used to solve an HR problem.

I wonder...I know Cedar Point has a bunch of tipped employees, in sit-own restaurants, at the marina, in the hotels, etc. But Kings Island doesn't have any of those things. and I wonder if there are any positions at Kings Island that would be considered "tipped". And I wonder if that's part of the calculus that goes into which parks are doing the cashless thing and which ones are not...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

America should get out of the world of tipping in the first place, and pay people real money up front instead of deferring it to customers.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

RideMan said:

And there we have the real issue. Cashless is what you do when you can't trust the people who handle your cash.

No, it's just that things evolve.

There was similar resistance and/or anxiety when people transitioned from trading livestock to coins. And again during the transition to deerskin. And again during the transition to gold. And again during the transition to gold-backed paper currency. And again during the transition to fiat currency.

So rather than having to load my donkey with several assorted sizes of deerskin to gain admission to the park and make trade therein, I can just bring my phone. That's progress. :-)

Brandon

Personally I am a fan of trading a parking lot gull for admission.

Call it a public service. 1 seagull for half day admission, 2 seagulls for full day.

And then expanding on the concept: 5 seagulls for FL 7 for FLP!

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

in general in Europe you’re still ‘tipping’ it’s just added to your bill wether or not good service was provided- traditional American style tipping , while not as generous as American, is more common now in Europe and travel agents will point you towards commons guides (note: tips made by credit card may not make it to your server):

Quick Tipping Guide:
Croatia: 10-15%
Czech Republic: 15%
Estonia: 5-8%
France: First, seek out the words “Service Compris” on your bill, which means no tip is required. You also aren’t expected to tip on bar purchases. For everything else, allot up to 10%
Germany: 10-15%
Greece: 5% for an expensive experience, 10% for an inexpensive dining encounter
Hungary: no more than 10%, often, just pocket change
Iceland: No more than 10%, as all charges have a 15% tip built in
Italy: As close to 10% as possible. Any more is an insult, don’t leave a tip if your first attempt is refused.
Russia: 10% to the waiter directly. Monies left on the table may be claimed by management
Scandinavia: Don’t tip
Spain: 7-13%
Switzerland: 5-10%
Turkey: 10%
United Kingdom: 10-15%It was the standard for tipping in the US as recently as a decade ago; pay your bill in cash and leave the change as a tip. But these days, with more and more Americans doing the majority of their spending on credit or debit cards, a cash tip is becoming something of a white unicorn. Most frequently, we just add a few bucks onto the total bill on the receipt before we sign and trust that the establishment will ensure that the server receives the funds.

This standard practice has not yet reached much of Europe, however. In many countries a credit card tip may not actually make it to your server’s hand. If you want to ensure they receive the money you intended for them, leave it in cash and on the table before you walk away.

Tipping standards in Europe tend to range a bit lower than the 20% standard in the US. While extra gratuity will always be appreciated, the standard across most European countries tends to hang out closer to 10% for diningQuick Tipping Guide:
Croatia: 10-15%
Czech Republic: 15%
Estonia: 5-8%
France: First, seek out the words “Service Compris” on your bill, which means no tip is required. You also aren’t expected to tip on bar purchases. For everything else, allot up to 10%
Germany: 10-15%
Greece: 5% for an expensive experience, 10% for an inexpensive dining encounter
Hungary: no more than 10%, often, just pocket change
Iceland: No more than 10%, as all charges have a 15% tip built in
Italy: As close to 10% as possible. Any more is an insult, don’t leave a tip if your first attempt is refused.
Russia: 10% to the waiter directly. Monies left on the table may be claimed by management
Scandinavia: Don’t tip
Spain: 7-13%
Switzerland: 5-10%
Turkey: 10%
United Kingdom: 10-15%

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Jeff said:

America should get out of the world of tipping in the first place, and pay people real money up front instead of deferring it to customers.

Yeah I'm sure servers would love that pay cut lmao. I'd much prefer to tip than have to pay much higher prices for my food. If you don't want to tip, don't go out to eat, it is that simple.

SuperS0nicSam said:

I'd much prefer to tip than have to pay much higher prices for my food.

This doesn't make any sense.

Brandon

1st day of “cashless” KI. Vending machines still accept cash. Off the Be Made Whole Again Department 🤣

On an unrelated note it took 3 hours to drive 90 miles. ODOT sucks.

Cargo Shorts said:

That’s not quite right Kevin. Only unvaccinated guests need the chip, the rest of us already received ours with the vaccine along with great 5G and that handy magnetization.

Cargo Shorts, I hate to tell you but those of us who have been vaccinated, none of us received a chip. The shot prevents Covid and heaven forbid you do get Covid, you won’t have it as bad. I work in a hospital so trust me.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Whoosh!

I’m fine with it. No need to have to touch my cash then also handle the change given back from the till before I have to eat my delicious famous fresh cut french fries. Last visit I went to the ATM beforehand but didn’t use any cash at all.

First ride; Magnum 1994

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service