Sesquicentennial gala?

I couldn't find any posts that had been speaking directly to this, and maybe I'm just goofy but I really appreciate the nostalgia of the ballroom in the top of the coliseum, and was looking forward to the sesquicentennial. Hopefully they'll make an announcement at winter chill out next month, but has anyone heard anything about them bringing back the gala this year? I vaguely remember them talking about it if they couldn't have it last year they would do it this year but haven't seen anything more?

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Outside of WCO, the park hasnt really announced a whole lot. I think they are in a wait-and-see mode with whats going on.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing, with how fast things are changing it's understandable. Hope there is some more news on or around WCO at least.

DJ Fischer

I admit, I take a peek and a picture every time I go. The door is always unlocked, but I don't know if you're technical supposed to go in. That said, I love taking a glimpse of CP's history and I'd love to dance on that floor at a proper gala.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

The history is so cool. And I'm a bit nostalgic for the era of big bands and cocktail lounges and ballrooms that they designed that around. I would love to see it come back to regular use throughout the year. Shoot maybe make it an actual cocktail lounge. A nice renovation on the paint and finish, make it a sort of high end establishment hidden in the middle of the park similar to Disney Club 33. It would be something else in my mind to go up to "The Midway Lounge" and enjoy a higher end experience looking out onto the midway while enjoying a bit of history.

DJ Fischer

I was wondering the same thing! I was really looking forward to it last year, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be rescheduled for this year! I'm hoping they address it at WCO. :)

No Gala is scheduled for the 150th this year. Some in our group asked about utilizing the ballroom and Jason indicated its been on his list of things he would love to do but the building is so far out of code that bringing it up to todays codes, safety and comfort would cost way more than tearing it down building a new structure.

Steve Shives

So it sounds like it will eventually go away. Which is sad from a historical perspective, but promising from a land use perspective.

Brandon

Yep. That sounds like an inevitable tear down. I could see that within the next five years or so. If it’s already out of code I don’t know how long they can run with that.

Makes me think that between the building and the older kids area next door that they could do an amazing kids area in the future. Even a nice kids sized coaster that families could ride too.

We will see what happens.

If I'm not mistaken isn't it on the historical building registry? (I've tried looking it up but can't make heads or tails of the interface unless I just want to look at random buildings)

If so I think it's not something they can easily tear down? I'll admit I'm hopeful, and I'd personally drop the resources into that building if I had them. I just love it.

DJ Fischer

Just because a building is on the National Register does not mean you cannot tear it down or make major changes in the building. It does prevent you from using federal funds. The Hotel Breakers was on the National Register of Historic Places and when they renovated it, the hotel was taken off the list.

mgou58 said:

Yep. That sounds like an inevitable tear down. I could see that within the next five years or so. If it’s already out of code I don’t know how long they can run with that.

The building has been out of code for probably 70 years. The city/state wont make them bring it up to code unless there are renovations or structural improvements made.

Steve Shives

If they tear it down, I hope they can build a replica of it in that location. Maybe a portion of it could be used for a dark ride.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I'm very sad about the Breakers renovation. I don't mind the new wings, but they look so ghastly towering over breakers like that.

I agree if they have to tear it down and build a new one I'd be ok with that on the condition that they build a replica ballroom as it currently is, it looks so cool. Although were there big chandeliers hanging at one point?I couldn't think of anything else for the high mounting points?

Make a club and event space out of the ball room, that'd be awesome!

DJ Fischer

I don't see them removing the building, be it for future expansion or a replacement, until it becomes structurally unsound. And personally I think that will be a long time from now because that place was built like a damn bank safe. They still get plenty of use out of it upstairs for none guest operations and of course the arcade is still making enough money to keep it in place. Much like the other older buildings in the park, as long as they continue to support the operation I doubt we will see them removed or upgraded.

So does this mean we can start a fundraiser to cover renovation costs for the building?

DJ Fischer

99er I wish I could share your optimism. But the park has made it a very obvious point that piece by piece everything is being upgraded or modernized. And frankly, this is the last place in the park that hasn’t seen a meaningful upgrade in awhile. Just because employee offices are there doesn’t mean they can’t be moved.

I doubt they’d replace it with another ballroom, it’s just not something the park would likely want to work on; I’m sure they’ll design something that incorporates elements of what once was but I just don’t see it lasting much longer.

Edit: I think the proof is in the pudding also: it’s the 150th celebration. If that building wasn’t touched now, it will never be. It’s on its way out.

Last edited by mgou58,

My point is that the colosseum, along with many others buildings, are not in any need to be upgraded or removed just because the rest of the park is being upgraded. These buildings don't currently impact guest operation, they are not falling apart, and until the land they sit on becomes valuable for a new ride, there isn't a need to remove them. While buildings like the colosseum haven't received upgrades like elevators, they have had and continue to have upgrades done to them, you just don't notice because they don't impact the daily guest.

Is the building on its way out like you mentioned? Of course it is, just like everything at the park. In time everything will be removed for future expansion but not just for the purpose of ripping it down. Because you haven't seen the upgrades these buildings get doesn't mean they are on the chopping block. There is far more valuable land on that peninsula that would make more sense to expand on without impacting the daily operation or revenue stream.

Last edited by 99er,

Wouldn't be crazy upset if it was removed

Been visiting yearly with my now wife to celebrate our anniversary since 2010. Proposed on top of Valravn in '17 during the Sunrise Thrills Tour. Proud owner of two bricks in the Legacy Walk and have a piece of Wicked Twister

Oh, I would be.
For decades, large ballrooms graced the midways of just about every amusement park in America. They were in beautiful dance halls or large coliseum buildings. In the summer evenings bands and orchestras played for thousands of couples who packed the floor to hear the latest. Cedar Point holds the privileged distinction of having one of the last surviving dance halls. Most deteriorated or were removed in the name of progress. For many the parks no longer exist.
True, the building is out of date and deserves to be repurposed. Maybe destruction is the most economical solution, but not the best one. I can’t imagine Cedar Point without its most prominent and historic structure.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service