Maui Sands

Here is an article about Maui Sands resort:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201711210006

No matter what was done to this property short of razing it, I could never stay there after watching that episode. No amount of positive PR could change my mind. It's equivalent to dating a girl who, right before intimacy, tells you she has herpes but you can't catch it because she's been taking her meds to control outbreaks.

No thanks.

Too right! No thanks!

See honestly the biggest thing that would get me to come back is for the owners to actually completely sell the property to another venture / owner. I don't care if they brought on a management company (they had one before when they initially purchased the property, just FYI, that didn't do crap by the looks of it), or any other items. They neglected the property and the business model for four years after their initial purchase. It took a TV show for them to come out and figure out what they need to do to the property. I can see one room here & there having bed bugs because people are disgusting. However, to have the whole place infested...nah, that spells a problem.

Sell the property, get out of Sandusky, and go back to Maryland with your donut shops...cause none of you are effectively operating an indoor waterpark.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Yuck

I believe a large part of the problem is that the building itself isn't meant for what they want it to be. The bugs are an issue, but the infrastructure is what keeps larger buyers away. As another poster here said, the building began life as the Holidome, with an indoor mini golf course. The rooms all open up into a big square and instead of opening to the outside, they open inside to the big lobby area. Most rooms have no exterior windows but have interior windows instead, meaning using drapes for privacy. Also, as the tv episode showed, the alarm system and boilers are problematic and the slides are rusted with rotten supports, The only real hope is for a big corporation to buy the place, raze it and start from the ground up. But, as Anthony Bourdain said, that would cost 50 million. So, now you have these two guys running it as a cash cow for the foreseeable future.

"Forgiveness is almost always easier to obtain than permission."

“Cash cow” LMAO!

"New ownership" took over in July.

Of course the fact that it's one of the guys featured on the show's brother. It's still "new" owners.

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

UPDATE! I have driven past Maui Sands multiple times over last weekend & this week. There are some pretty heavy duty portable generators & other equipment there as well as a construction trailer. There is a tractor trailer with the words "Disaster Relief Vehicle" on the side. I saw a group of workers in head to toe "haz-mat" suits including breathing apparatus. Looks like a costly, extensive undertaking.

Interesting....website still lets you book a room (although I wouldn't book one).

~chugh43

Would anyone happen to have a link to episode they did on travel channel? I tried looking for it on YouTube the other day, but couldn’t find it. If not no worries.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

There’s a link on page 3 of this very thread. That might be it.

Oddly enough a special from Groupon came thru my email this morning for this. Can't say I was tempted, and at the price point was pretty sure it wasn't Kalahari or any other reputable place even before opening up the deal.

This would be a good last place prize for a tongue in cheek type game show. Prizes you don't want to win.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

Please hurry with that "stimulus check"! Maui Sands is now officially for sale. I noticed a realtor sign there today. But, if you choose to purchase it you may be disappointed, they have removed that fabulous massive tiki statue from out front. Dang, I wanted that for my front yard.....

That statue was probably worth more than the building itself. Perkins Township officials conducted an inspection over a year ago and condemned the property. The inside has been broken into repeatedly by scrappers. Hopefully a buyer picks it up cheap and demolishes the building for redevelopment.

THE TIKI GOD IS GONE!?!?!

I just saw in the Register yesterday that due to recent TikTok fame, a group of 11 trespassers were arrested inside sigh..

I really wanted MS to work... despite getting a serious case of food poisoning there.

Also someone else alluded to the grand plans originally slated for this place, it may have had a chance if they were all implemented.

The holidome section would've actually been thw tiki village with a lazy river surrounding a giant volcano that shot out red "lava", a cabana villiage and the flow rider, which was the only attraction that actually was built... and ran.. for the few months before the place originally shut down. If these things took place, the akward empty space where the infamous sit on the couch that has bed bugs scene was filmed, would've actually been underwater

Didn’t Robin Innes go work for Maui Sands after he was part of the post-Kinzel era restructuring that took place? That had to have been a jarring transition.

I 've always wondered what happened to him. Thought he probably retired.

"Like (Mauie) sands through the hourglass, so these are the days of our lives....."

Sure did.. I actually spoke to him about the property had to be about 5 or 6 years back. He was hopeful and spoke positively but when I told him about my experiences there he said he wasn't surprised and sadly his hands were tied when it came to imposing any real change.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service