Virus Impact on CP

Based off of Tony's tweet I must sadly realize that the back row will be closed off on any coaster with an even number of rows...

Looks like Twisted needs to be made whole.

You have extra single row cars we can add to the end of each train!?

It make sense just one of those details I hadn't processed until I see it. Any coaster ride is good at this point in the summer though. And being there Saturday without hearing the coasters in July was just Erie*.

I missed that tweet but they might close two rows in order to have the back row available.

I'm just inferring from the picture he posted of the first ride of the season on Millie. I was wondering that too though, it wouldn't change capacity at that point.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

Cargo Shorts said:

I missed that tweet but they might close two rows in order to have the back row available.

That's how Kings Island was doing it on Mystic Timbers

This morning opened the app and got a prompt for Thursday to do my health screen. Doesn't seem to be a direct way to pull it up though.

Edit: under the me section in the app where your tickets and passes etc there is a health screen section.

Last edited by TwistedCircuits,

DJ Fischer

WOF has dropped reservations and starting on the 13th is only operating Thursday through Sunday. Assume the demand is just not there?

Just got this from support. If you need to adjust an existing reservation it is the bottom option on this page.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/tickets-passes/reservations

DJ Fischer

Worlds of Fun has updated their schedule so that they are now closed Monday-Wednesday each week. They are also not requiring a reservation any more.

Reports are that Kings Island has not been very busy the past 2 week days. They are shortening their passholder-only days. It would not surprise me if they are not open some weekdays by the end of the month.

Seems like the mask requirement and the heat are taking their toll on attendance.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I don't think the mask and the heat have anything to do with it. I just don't think everyone is comfortable with the idea of going to an amusement park in a pandemic.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I can tell you the mask and the heat are a big part of why I don't have reservations for Cedar Point yet. I can't handle heat without a mask, with a mask it would be even worse. I'm overheating in some stores as it is. I don't see the point of making reservations to spend half the day sitting in the mask free zone trying to cool myself. I'll wait until the weather cools off a bit before I even attempt it. I think some people are likely waiting to see what experience others are having at the park before they decide to try it out themselves too. I know there are small details that I'm waiting to hear about in trip reports so I can plan better for when I do actually attempt to go to the park.

This sounds very interesting.

I think what we may be seeing is Cedar Fair parks opening, gauging the demand their seeing for business, and adjusting their hours/days accordingly to optimize park operations/operation overhead.

In the grand scheme of things it's not too difficult for a park to adjust like that based on demand (with an expected lag time for planning and logistics purposes), and if demand picks up they can extend days as well.

I'm curious and doubtful to see if Cedar Point goes that direction. With there being multiple onsite properties that people paid for just to be on the point even without the park open I'm sure they will continue to operate at some level. I'm not positive but I don't think many other Cedar Fair parks have a full battery of onsite resorts that get figured in to everything?

Possible setups if they do head that direction being:

• No change if demand stays at expected/picks up
  • Limitations of off peak week days (mon-thurs traditionally) to resort guests (and pass holders?) only, with the possible further limitation of hours on those days. And general ticket holders have access on weekends.
  • Full shutdown of the park on off peak week days with full weekend operations and the rest of the resort operating in the sun and fun style it has been.

Only time will tell but I'm curious to see how it goes. I do think from what I'm hearing most people who are taking the time to go to the parks are mostly being respectful of appropriate safety precautions (just got my new set of gaiter scarfs today for Thursday). And people who either don't like current policies or who don't feel comfortable going out are doing what they feel is best.

This is going to make for a fascinating case study over the next year.

DJ Fischer

I was in the park all day today and keeping a mask on for the entire time was no problem at all. A light cloth mask works great in the heat. There were guests complaining about having to wear a mask, but quickly reminding them that wearing a ventilator is far more difficult shuts them up quick.

The thing I've been most impressed with this year so far is the arcade. Massive improvement by kicking alpha bet out and getting Family Entertainment Group. All the old claw machines have been removed, but what we got in their place is plenty of coin pushers, 5 VR machines, all new redemption games, and a switch to a game card system. I was blown away by the improvements here. The Pagoda remodel also looks great, and the new retro merchandise is great. They even made a Cedar Downs shirt that features Bullseye from Toy Story! Not sure how long that's going to stick around, as I'm pretty sure they did not get the rights to use him, lmao. Only 600 in the park today, which made nearly every ride a walk on, even though operations were understandably slow.

SuperS0nicSam said:

They even made a Cedar Downs shirt that features Bullseye from Toy Story! Not sure how long that's going to stick around, as I'm pretty sure they did not get the rights to use him, lmao.

Aw, I want that shirt! I probably won't make it to the park in time to pick one up before it gets yanked for copyright violation, darn it.

I can second that. I was in the park for about 6 hours, and even though it was 90+ degrees without much of a breeze, never once did the mask really bother me. I stopped a few times to drink water, but other than that, it was on the whole time. No issues at all with feeling like it might fall off on rides, including Millennium and front seat on Maverick and Magnum.

What I found interesting was about half of the restrooms were closed. The ones that were open had dedicated attendants to limit capacity and clean constantly. Most shops had one way traffic through the store. Maverick was the only ride I attempted that had any kind of a wait (I assume Steel Vengeance did too, but I didn't go back there.) There was an employee at Maverick dedicated to walking the queue cleaning handrails and ensuring that groups were socially distancing and keeping their masks on. I even heard her tell someone they needed to pull their mask up over their nose if they wanted to stay in line. So it sure seems like they're doing everything possible to enforce the rules.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

First KI Associate with Covid-19

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/07/08/kings-island-says-...397519002/

Was inevitable, hopefully was not in direct contact with too many other associates or guests. Not sure how they do contact tracing with guests or if it is even possible.

If anyone notices a ride or shop go down for an odd reason that may be why.

In theory they can contact trace guest groups through the mobile app if guests keep their phones with the park app on them at all times, park of why they are requiring the location access I'm sure. Now how accurate that information is when you vary in people who leave their phones in lockers, a group splits up to ride separate rides, or privacy conscious guests who have custom limitations setup to prevent live location tracking by any application and for battery conservation could vary wildly. But I'm sure they have some idea of who's been where.

Last edited by TwistedCircuits,

DJ Fischer

Dude. We’re making reservations to visit and they know who shows up. No app required. Then all they have to do is ask, if they feel the need to find out at all. Which they probably won’t.

I meant from a technology standpoint they have the capability, since not all guests will be in one area at once. Even if they pinged each phone with an app every 15 minutes they'd have a pretty decent idea of exactly who may have been where when. Now are they doing this, I don't know.

Many European governments are rolling that technology out as it is, I felt that was a reasonable and informed response to Cargos last sentence.

DJ Fischer

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service