CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

Thabto said:

Are they opening June 19th? I can't find any info that says that. That's the day they will be allowed to open but can they open that soon? They still have to hire staff (although I'm sure alot has been hired), train staff and get the rides certified. I'm thinking it will be closer to July

It's not even been an hour. I'm sure they will release some info soon.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Come on Cedar Point! What's the hold up?!???!!!! 🤣🤣

The opening date is NOT June 19. That’s only the date they can begin to reopen. I’m sure the park will have info soon. But I see a lot of people on social media misinterpreting the DeWine thing.

Could they open exactly on that date? Probably not. Still some work that needs done and remember that Cedar Fair themselves said they needed 4-6 weeks once DeWine gave them the go ahead.

You do realize breakers is open June 12th.

Soft openings, like the Universal plan for resort guests is definitely a possibility.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I think they have done a lot of prep work that was included in that 4 to 6 week time frame, just watching the webcams you can tell, but 90% of the staff needs to be brought in and trained. Ride certs still need to be done. And I bet those two things have to wait until the 19th before either can happen. Maybe 4th of July weekend, with a pass holder day before, similar to what other parks have done.

Last edited by DRE420,

mgou58 said:

The opening date is NOT June 19.

Correct, I should have said as early as June 19th.

Did the Governor provide reasoning for not including amusement parks in yesterday's announcement?

Brandon

No, he just reiterated over and over again about how they wanted to keep things as safe as possible. I do believe the pressure of the lawsuits worked.

A few lawsuits probably helped motivate him a little.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Yeah, I'm also guilty of jumping the gun on PointBuzz's social media channels. The park is permitted to open on June 19. We'll need to wait for official word from the park on if they will, in fact, open on June 19, or another date.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

We all got a little excited

Hey I’m all for it. I just wanted to make sure everyone had the right expectations. And someone else beat me to it but I believe the park anticipated being included on the list from Thursday hence all of the testing being done. The construction on the tollbooths also appears completed.

Here is the first official statement. No reopening date yet.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/park-update

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

DeWine wasn't specific on whether employees are permitted to return for training asap or if they had to wait until the 19th. Maybe that's what they are trying to iron out.

DRE420 said:

No, he just reiterated over and over again about how they wanted to keep things as safe as possible. I do believe the pressure of the lawsuits worked.

Unfortunately, yes. A lot of people are going to die needlessly because human beings can't entertain themselves. It's a shame. Future generations will look at this time and ask, "What were they thinking? Didn't they see what happened in 1918? How could they make the same mistake? They had to know what was going to happen, that there was going to be a second wave even deadlier than the first! Why didn't they care?"

All I can say, future generations, is that we said the same thing that others have said when faced with a reality they didn't want to acknowledge: "Nah, that'll never happen to US!"

The lawsuit (which, again, was on the part of a third-party) didn't mean dick. There was literally no downside to that case going to court for the governor. It's not like he'd have to write a check for something. The courts have historically favored government in issues of public health. I suspect what happened was that Cedar Fair made a convincing argument for why they could open safely. It's not likely more complicated than that.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

SarahB1863 said:

Unfortunately, yes. A lot of people are going to die needlessly because human beings can't entertain themselves.

Wow that's a bold unproven statement. Can it happen? Sure. But it also may not happen. I'll say it again, look at the data out of Seiver County in TN, where Gatlinburg is located. Since they reopened back on the weekend of May 15th, they have only seen a climb of around 30 new cases. That whole city was packed to the max, more so than normal, and nobody was wearing a mask or standing 6 ft apart.

Jeff said:

I suspect what happened was that Cedar Fair made a convincing argument for why they could open safely.

I agree, but does Cedar Fair really not have the ability to make that argument behind the scenes, without a lawsuit? Further, the behind the scenes argument would have included the ultimatum of the lawsuit.

Brandon

The lawsuit also has the ability create public pressure.

I'm sure it made no difference, but I had already written a letter to the Governor and my state reps to support the amendment to HB 665, which is now a mute point.

At the end of the day, I think Dewine just understood that the decision made no sense, given what we have all already discussed.

With his track record of handling the crisis so well, he's allowed a mis-step or two...just glad he self-corrected.

I get it. You think Cedar Point. You think mass crowds. With the plan (as I understand it), that's simply not going to happen. At the very least, it's being mitigated as much as possible.

And I'm glad Dave brought up trampoline parks. Dear god. I'm not sure how many of you have children of the "lets get invited to a birthday party age", but there is one thing I know for sure after we go to a party at Sky Zone or Pump it Up; in about 4 days, we're all going to be sick.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevin if you are so certain that will not happen, there must be an attendance number CP will not go over. What is that number?

Why would Kevin have that number?

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service