CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

If we could just get the rioters to stand 6' apart when throwing bricks and damaging property...get them to practice proper anti-social distancing...

When the daily new case numbers are still in the triple digits it's too soon to declare victory. I don't know what our reported R0 number is right now but last I heard it was real close to 1.0 which is still equilibrium at best.

But at this point I'll celebrate just about any victory I can get. A declining new case count is movement in the right direction.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

RideMan said:

If we could just get the rioters to stand 6' apart when throwing bricks and damaging property...get them to practice proper anti-social distancing...

Lol. My job is still closed. I run a 350 seat live entertainment venue. I don't see when we can open. My heart goes out to bartenders and service industry people right now. The idea of filling people with booze and expecting them to respect social distance is absurd.

Expecting hundreds to thousands of people who are really p!ssed off to follow those guidelines is also absurd. I really hope this doesn't bite us in the arse, but like I've seen here, the numbers and science doesn't lie nor discriminate.

Last edited by operative_me,

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

^ That is correct; the numbers don't lie.

The US population is estimated at 328.2 million.
In the US over 2.8 million people die every year.
The life expectancy in the US is 78

The media loves to tout the COVID-19 body count, but they fail to mention that our losses are not exceeding the pre-COVID-19 projections for the year.

The shutdown is bogus. It has caused far more harm than good.
Government spending trillions, businesses losing billions, millions of people still unemployed, and now riots in the streets. Ridiculous.

Uncle Steve said:

The shutdown is bogus. It has caused far more harm than good.

Please show your math.

Brandon

RideMan said:

If we could just get the rioters to stand 6' apart when throwing bricks and damaging property...get them to practice proper distancing...

They didn't distance inside the Michigan Capitol Building with their ARs either.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

There won't be a televised update with DeWine today, out of respect for the George Floyd memorial service. Any updates scheduled for today will be released online instead.

djDaemon said
Please show your math.

I'll do my best, sir.
What "math" are you referring to?
What numbers that I have listed do you disagree with?

Uncle Steve said:

The media loves to tout the COVID-19 body count, but they fail to mention that our losses are not exceeding the pre-COVID-19 projections for the year.

Not sure where you're getting that garbage, but the opposite is quite true. Even if you ignore COVID-19 deaths completely, death counts in most states are way higher than average so far this year. For example, deaths attributed to pneumonia in NY and NJ are 1,200 above average.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/01/us/coronavirus-death...ersey.html

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Uncle Steve said:

What numbers that I have listed do you disagree with?

You haven't mentioned any numbers, just nonsensical ramblings you apparently copied from a cable news chyron.

Brandon

operative_me said:

Also I worry about the results of these protests on the pandemic.

RideMan said:

If we could just get the rioters to stand 6' apart ...

Hopefully I'm reading too much into the word choice here, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that protestors =/= rioters. Yes, there are rioters out there, but they are by all accounts vastly outnumbered by peaceful protestors.

Brandon

To potentially support the claims of the shut down being bogus:

There are 328,200,000 people that live in the United States

There are 374,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in *New York

Which means roughly 0.001% of the population has the virus

Of the 374,000 confirmed cases; 66,262 cases are closed cases (18%)

Of the same 374,000 confirmed cases; 20,479 deaths have occurred (6%)

So we are shutting down the United States because 20,479 out of 328,200,000 died? (0.00006%)

36,560 people died in car accidents in 2018 in the United States. We still drive cars though.

These numbers were found on Google, and show that it is incredibly unlikely to contract the Coronavirus, and even if you were to get it; also unlikely to die from it.

Last edited by MrJohnJLewis,

^I've purposefully attempted to sort of stay out of much of this "debate" going on here, and usually enjoy reading other peoples points of view, but you sort of just made his point. Those numbers you just posted are laughably wrong, and easily verifiable as such.

Well then I would love for you to send me a better source than me Googling "Coronavirus". Those are their official updated numbers

Nah, if you messed up Googling the US COVID-19 numbers that bad in the first place, I have no desire to waste my time with it. But you are off. Way off.

Omg you're so right, I messed up. It was somehow only showing me New York (where I live). What a dum dum.

The CDC's numbers (federal government)

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

MrJohnJLewis said:

These numbers were found on Google, and show that it is incredibly unlikely to contract the Coronavirus, and even if you were to get it; also unlikely to die from it.

These numbers, assuming they're accurate, are the result of all the social distancing efforts. So you cannot use these numbers as justification for eliminating those efforts. It's a completely nonsensical argument.

Brandon

1.8 million people is just like 374k, right?

The suggestion that deaths this year are the same as any of the previous five years is wholly not factual. It's not even close. And yeah, this is with the social distancing and mitigation efforts. Imagine if we just pretended it would disappear.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Disregard my previous post, because I can't use a Google machine correctly. It defaulted my stats to NY because I live there.

There are 328,200,000 people that live in the United States

There are 1,890,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the United States

Which means roughly 0.58% of the population has the virus

Of the 1,890,000 confirmed cases; 432,000 cases are closed cases (23%)

Of the same 1,890,000 confirmed cases; 109,000 deaths have occurred (6%)

So we are shutting down the United States because 109,000 out of 328,200,000 died? (0.033%)

You're more than welcome to double check my numbers especially because I screwed up before. I apologize for that. But the point still stands

^ Big ups for admitting your numbers were wrong, and being cool about that. In my opinion, where you are losing me, is by continually saying "shutting down the United States." That's quite an extreme generalization about what is going on. Yes, there are industries that are being hit with devastating fallout due to this, and I really hope things can turn around soon, but just because amusement parks and large scale sporting events aren't happening right now, that doesn't mean anyone "shut down the United States."

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service