CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

I'm seeing posts in some Doordash driver groups I'm in on FB that there are protesters all along 250 and near the mall area. They are advising other drivers to stay home. Doordash even stopped service in some parts of the Akron and Cleveland area today due to safety concerns. I'm not sure opening the park would be the smartest thing to do with all this going on especially seeing that it has a presence in the Sandusky area. I'm sure this will all settle by the time the park is able to open but I would think restoring civility would be higher on the priorities for state and local leaders. That being said, I do expect to still hear the announcement like was stated last week but I think getting all the rioting under control would be the main focus.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

There is a protest going on down at Mylander Park right now too.

vwhoward said:

Interesting scenario. I never thought about a shortened operating day. That would definitely curtail people from making long distance trips, that's for sure. That would seem to benefit passholders and locals. I would find it hard to justify an almost 4 hour drive for a shortened day. Or an expensive stay at Breakers for limited park time.

I agree. I live 3 hours from the park and have a platinum pass, so would I like a shortened operating day on a “normal” 12 hour operating day...NO.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Mousey said:

That's unjust

Read the room of the entire nation dude.

Sadly not the entire nation. There's still some blockheads out there who remain woefully obtuse.

It's my personal belief that the problems in America's policing system are so ingrained by this point that the only way to really fix them is to scrap the entire thing and start over. The bunch has long been spoilt by the bad apples, and you can't make anything sweet out of festering pectin.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Having worked for a few municipalities, I can assure you that the problem, while widespread, comes down more to the local level. Obama's recent post on the subject advised this as well, and I think he's right. Police agencies are led almost entirely locally, by municipalities and counties, and they're run either by elected people or their direct appointees in almost every case. I don't need to tell you that voter turnout for local issues and candidates is abysmal in the US. That's not helping.

If we're getting down to it, we don't hold our elected folks accountable at any level, we culturally just want them to be on our "team," and that's sad.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I know it's different state by state, but, Carowinds tentative opening date is slated for July 27th according to the Charlotte Observer.

Also, Richard Zimmerman and Brian Witherow are slated to speak at the Goldman Sachs Leisure and Travel conference today at 2:15 streaming on the ir.cedarfair.com

Word is DeWine will address the travel and leisure activities today around 2. Here's hoping to a possible opening announcement at 2:15. Btw, I'm just optimistic, but hoping for something positive.

I tuned in late but it sounded like it was just a recap of everything we've already known. It does sound like they are somewhat optimistic that things will rebound in 2021

DeWine just stated that they will address museums, zoo's, and other attractions on Thursday, of which he said will be good news for the majority. Guess we sit on the edge of the cliff for 2 more days.

Well now I'm curious. Who are the majority? People wanting things to open back up soon, or people wanting to stay safe from COVID-19? Not that those are mutually exclusive, but that statement is relatively ambiguous.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I don't know, I'm optimistic especially with the safety measures Cedar Fair presented to the Governor a few weeks back. I guess we continue to speculate for a few more days.

Reading that Charlotte Observer piece it seems there was politics going on in that question by the Labor Commissioner, an elected position. Since it doesn't come from CF I am not putting much weight in that date.

Jeff said:

Having worked for a few municipalities, I can assure you that the problem, while widespread, comes down more to the local level. Obama's recent post on the subject advised this as well, and I think he's right. Police agencies are led almost entirely locally, by municipalities and counties, and they're run either by elected people or their direct appointees in almost ......

-----'--

I abreviated your post, if you wish me to edit and include it in it's entirety, let me know.

Sadly President Obama's comments don't address the issue of law and order. Peace has to be restored first and foremost. 3 minutes I will never get back.

In my hometown, Ft Wayne, LEOS's responded to the disorder in an aggressive fashion; rubber bullets and tear gas. I was pleasantly surprised at the Mayor's response as he's pretty liberal (and a really nice guy). Order has to be restored before anything else happens. Citizens of Fort Wayne don't want to see their neighborhoods burnt down. There's absolutely no excuse for violence and disorder in this context. None. The best thing that one can do with looters and thugs is to disuade them or kill them. Disuasion is usually a great tactic as filling body bags with thugs has unfortunate political ramifications.

When order is restored the issues can be addressed (if there are any).

There is speculation that a lot of this violence is funded from Moscow or Peking. Both parties have a history of sowing discord in the free world. There's ample historical evidence. I can provide it if needed.

The USA is a multicultural society like Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, etc. Our violent crime rate using murder rates as a proxy is a lot lower. Folks who look different from their neighbors don't like each other as a rule. Free-market economics has changed this over time as affluency has increased.

More whites than minorities are killed in police action shootings. And yes I know about the rates per capita of criminal. Not going to discuss it here. Period.

The idiot in question was arrested and put in jail, rightfully so. There may be more arrests and the local officials will deal with it. Trump was upset by the video and reacted in an appropriate fashion. He's an emotional guy and it showed in this case.

Demographically diverse societies always have higher violent crime rates than mono-cultural societies. What's going on is to be expected. Mexico and Iraq are democracies (corrupt, but OK) and they're rioting all of the time. Part and parcel of a free society. Tianeman Square's not going to happen here. And yes, I followed that closely.

There's only one color I care about; Green. If you make money for me or don't cost me any money I will like/ignore you, if you cost me money I won't like and avoid you.

Wow.

Not much pulls me out of lurking, but I had to reread that a few times to make sure I was reading it correctly. You only care about money and think that it is unfortunate there are ramifications for killing people.

For the life of me I can't imagine that a group of people who have similar minded thinking would cause any sort of issues in our world.

"There's only one color I care about; Green. If you make money for me or don't cost me any money I will like/ignore you, if you cost me money I won't like and avoid you."

This coming from the guy that played 200 rounds of golf a year while on government assistance, costing every working person money.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

So was that posted a little early, Walt? I went to that link, restricted property. Neat concept. Hopefully you'll post again when it does happen. I wouldn't mind that. It would be fun.

Joe

The best thing that one can do with looters and thugs is to disuade them or kill them. Disuasion is usually a great tactic as filling body bags with thugs has unfortunate political ramifications.

What. The actual. F*CK.

After reading your entire post, I'm pretty convinced you're a complete sociopath. Seek help.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

If protesters destroyed Cedar Point, I might end up going postal

I'm also interested in the now broken link that seems to have been accidentally leaked a little while ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see what it entails, but I'll wait for an official announcement.

I feel lucky to have seen it

Joe

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service