CP Reopening- Gov DeWine comments

ILS 0523 said:
It's disappointing to see some people not taking basic precautions to protect themselves and others. But I think what is getting lost beyond the headline grabbing photos of folks flocked together is that there is a significant portion of the population still being responsible and doing their part in line with the expert health recommendations.

Nobody knows what the rest of the summer, fall, or winter will look like. Maybe it's worse and we have a devastating 2nd wave and maybe we don't. It doesn't matter how "pissed" you get at someone else for not following the expert guidelines. You cannot control how they handle themselves during this pandemic, but you can control how you respond to it.

I think a business owner in Traverse City, MI summed it up best ahead of the Memorial Day Weekend crowds expected up North after the Governor opened up Northern Michigan. "If people are willing to behave, we have a chance." Call me optimistic, living in fantasy land, etc. but from what I have witnessed, the majority are still doing their best and not giving the middle finger to the experts.

I think more people realize that, in this situation, it really only takes the actions of a few to mess everything up. I wish I could trust people to be responsible and I know that there ARE people taking this seriously. The problem is that this virus only needs enough people being ignorant and not participating to stay around and multiply.

It's also important to remember the infectious nature of SARS-COV-2, how it spreads and remember exponential growth. We may never know just how much of the population has had it and recovered but it's safe to say that that number, at this point, is still a fraction of the population. And if only a fraction of the population has had it, then we need to make sure it doesn't get out of control. Because herd immunity can not be an option unless we have a vaccine and treatments. Yes, many people die from influenza but we have treatments and vaccines to combat it.

Regarding the issue of safety outdoor vs indoors, I think it's a kind of thin line. Yes, current research would suggest that you're very unlikely to catch COVID-19 from someone outside or from touching a surface that is subject to UV radiation from the sun. But the chances aren't 0 so we can't be too careless about congregating at places that thrive on large gatherings. If you only briefly walk past someone who has COVID (but they dont know it), you're likely fine. But if you expose yourself to more and more carriers throughout the day, you're chances of getting it go up. Granted, it's still not a 100% chance of you getting it but it's still not 0.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I am looking forward to the boom in my local economy in Orlando from all those guests who were previously going to go to Cedar Point.

^^The figure I keep seeing is 80%. We need 80% of the population to adhere strictly to the guidelines (masks in public, social distancing, frequent hand washing/sanitizing, staying home if not feeling well, etc) in order to stop most of the community spread. While I think a lot of people are trying, I don't believe it's anywhere near 80%. I've been trying to run mental tallies when I go to grocery stores, and I have yet to see better than 50% compliance with masks (and a good number of those with masks aren't wearing them properly.)

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Bluestreaker said:

I wonder if people understand what their choice of words says about them.

It's quite clear that you don't.

Are you getting The Blue Streak and Bluestreaker mixed up?

^Seems that way.

Bluestreaker = good (allegedly)

TheBluestreak = bad (and gone!)

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Curious as to which experts have determined that Bluestreaker is good. Can you site some sources? The name sounds like the person likes to run around naked, albeit while being painted blue apparently. That may not be a good thing.

Shades said:

Curious as to which experts have determined that Bluestreaker is good. Can you site some sources? The name sounds like the person likes to run around naked, albeit while being painted blue apparently. That may not be a good thing.

Good question. Seems like to me at least based what I’m seeing is that if you have a different opinion then others in the forum they shun you from here.I don’t know just wish this whole thing would be done and we can get on with our lives. I agree with some I’ve read on here that it’s your choice if your not comfortable going and it is a fact that it is at will employment and if someone feels at risk they don’t have to work there. Hope this is over sooner than later and that we can be discussing fun cedar point things rather than this garbage.

Welcome to PB "Oscar".

LOL

Brandon

djDaemon said:

Welcome to PB "Oscar".

LOL

Thank you....hope to be discussing fun stuff soon rather than this junk.....

Oscar...the guy who voted up all of TheBluestreak's post. Yeah, "welcome"

I believe it is absolutely ok to have different opinions. It is all in presentation.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

And I'm not sure if Bluestreaker is good...that is why I said "allegedly". However, compared to TheBluestreak he is seemingly better all around. 🤣

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

Well, they're test-running Gatekeeper, if you look on the webcams. So that's something anyway.

TheBlueStreak said:

It's sad seeing people advocate not opening businesses that employ thousands and keeps an entire town afloat and don't even realize it

It's actually pretty selfish, if you're scared don't go, but Cedar Point has a big enough demand and other parks are also opening.

It’s sad that you think that ‘demand’ should be the deciding factor in opening, not safety or state regulations or even security of guests and employees.

vwhoward said:

Oscar...the guy who voted up all of TheBluestreak's post. Yeah, "welcome"

I believe it is absolutely ok to have different opinions. It is all in presentation.

well I agreed with his posts, that’s all. What’s the harm in that? I just agree with him.

again hope we can get to a point where we’re talking about good things in lieu of this garbage. Talk about how much fun we had at the park and rumors of what’s next.

Last edited by Oscar,

^Nobody is stopping you from doing that. You don't have to hope, you just have to talk about those things and refrain from threads that are about this "garbage".

Showing up at the party and telling everyone else that what they're discussing is garbage is not a great way to be the life of the party.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

That's garbage.

Sorry 😀

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Jeff said:

Showing up at the party and telling everyone else that what they're discussing is garbage is not a great way to be the life of the party.

Talking about the situation not the discussion. This COVID-19 garbage, not the discussion. This whole thing sucks....can’t do squat....

99er said:

^Nobody is stopping you from doing that. You don't have to hope, you just have to talk about those things and refrain from threads that are about this "garbage".

Refer to my response to Jeff. It’s the COVID-19 garbage not this discussion.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service