Virus Impact on CP

Still no gondolas on the Giant Wheel? I’m done with 2020.

kylepark said:

Still no gondolas on the Giant Wheel? I’m done with 2020.

THE DAY AIN'T OVER YET.

Even if the park doesn't officially open to the public this year, there is no stopping them from having special events for buyouts, passholder events, or other by invitation only events where certain folks can still partake in a limited experience day at the park.

If they can open for anything, they can open for business. Right now they can't open for anything at all, first because the State prohibits it, and second because they can't offer their primary product due to the inspection rules. Both of those problems have to be solved in order for them to do anything, regardless of whether it is full daily operation or some invitation only special event.

For what it's worth, the Cincinnati Zoo is making noises about trying to open up at the start of June. I don't know if that means they know something we don't or not; it will certainly be easier for them to open their gates than for Cedar Point to open.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

I was pondering the situation and I believe security and maintenance staff are still the only employees allowed on premises other than contractors. Maintenance could just be doing more mundane bottom of the priority list stuff as they sit in a holding pattern. They might as well be doing something if they are being paid. Possibly stuff they just don't normally have time to get to like making some system that gives them a hassle a little better like a sensor bracket or mundane stuff like that. They could also be busting their ass trying to get stuff ready.

Lash said:

vwhoward said:
Am I the only one thinking whether or not they open, they need to be running the rides regardless? I work in manufacturing, and when you shut large machines (5 stories tall, very large footprints) they do not run well for a while.

In that case, wouldn't all seasonal parks run their rides during the off season?

Let me say that in terms that may be easier for you to understand then. My classic car can handle a winter in storage. But I wouldn't want to skip an entire summer of use and let it sit in storage three to four times longer than I normally do. There will definitely be some things that happen that wouldn't have happened with a much shorter storage time.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Guys you're being silly, If Universal Studios opens on June 5th, everyone else will follow (Including Cedar Point). They're opening for 2020.

They have the staff hired and managers on salary.

I don't think anybody is saying they're not going to open. I also don't think anyone is saying they definitely are...except apparently you.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

"Still no gondolas on the Giant Wheel? I’m done with 2020."

Not to get defensive but there's been lots of comments similar doubting Cedar Point will open. I don't claim to have insider Info but if Universal and these other parks open it's pretty certain Cedar Point will open as well.

No one here has once said the park isn’t opening in 2020. What is with the trolls on this site lately? Delete one and up pops another.

In another post you said the park in your opinion would open “very” soon. Have you been there recently? I have. And just from the outside I can tell you a lot of projects are still underway. The park knows they have time to get things done, and as has been quoted to the point of exhaustion, the park needs 4-6 weeks to open “once given the green light from dewine”

Its now May 24, so four to six weeks from today would put us at the end of June. And as DeWine clearly stated, we aren’t there yet.

TheBlueStreak said:

They have the staff hired and managers on salary.

You know what they don't have? Ride Inspectors.

Do we have a estimated percentage of what rides are legally checked? I'd assume some would be because this happened half between preparation.

What is with the theory that the ride inspectors are still laid off?There is no reason why inspectors cannot be doing their jobs in accordance with CDC guidelines,There are plenty of other inspectors that are still working in various industries.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

It is a widely known fact that the inspectors were laid off.

Are they back to work now? I don’t have the answer to that. But it wasn’t a theory it was based on fact.

Also, you never responded to me or the others who asked you about the soft opening in June. Still waiting on the source..

It was reported by the news that the Department of Agriculture had laid off its entire inspection team.

In terms of what might have already been inspected , I doubt anything has. Typically the park gets everything inspected all at once with anything not ready to be done later. This usually happens end of April right up to opening day. Even though layoffs didn't happen til early May, I would guess most of what usually would have been ready for inspection in April was not ready since a lot of the maintenance department wasn't working.

Last edited by 99er,

TheBlueStreak said:

Do we have a estimated percentage of what rides are legally checked? I'd assume some would be because this happened half between preparation.

Zero. Nothing was even close to being inspection ready when stay at home orders stopped preseason prep in March.

I got one unverified comment (=consider it RUMOR!) earlier today that some statement was made when the Ohio State Fair was cancelled that the ride inspectors are back on the job. I have not seen that statement, so I can't confirm or deny it. If it's true, then it could be extremely good news. Has anyone else seen anything?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Thabto said:

Maybe they are lowering the number of available rooms at Breakers this year and those that had theirs cancelled in August may have been due to the hotel being overbooked.

Anyone who's visited Breakers in August knows what the resort looks like when full while operating a full capacity.

Think of the average wait for a table at Fridays/Perkins/Tomo/etc. during a rush, then consider what that looks like with restaurants at half capacity. Sure, they could be reservation-only, but that's its own nightmare to manage.

Think of the elevators between an hour-ish prior to and after park opening/closing, then consider what that looks like with people unable or hopefully unwilling to share an elevator with strangers.

Consider the lobby, efficient as it is now, with groups spaced at least 6 feet apart, whether they're in line, mingling, or whatever. Or the pools, reduced to some lower capacity, where do those excess guests go? Same for the beach under similar restrictions, along with pretty much any common area you can think of.

I just don't see how the hotel can operate at anything close to full capacity. I can only imagine that they are, or eventually will be cancelling roughly half of reservations.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Just wanted to interrupt your daily mask arguments to say I’ve been watching gatekeeper cycle for the past half hour on live cam 1

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

Jeff said:

You're selfish. Vaccination isn't about you, it's about preventing others from getting sick. You don't engage in critical thinking, and I'm done with you here.

Sorry, I've not been paying close attention recently. Did someone actually get banned from the forum because they made an anti-vaccine post?

EDIT: Nevermind, I kept reading beyond the above post and then got my answer.
Carry on! ;-)

Last edited by Rusty,

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service