Rolling Through the Years Book

Avalanche Run never ran with single file seating.
I haven’t received my copy yet, but I’m wondering if the shot you’re referring to wasn’t maybe a promotion shot from Intamin, meaning it may not have been entirely accurate.
There was another smaller Intamin bobsled that had the same side by side seating. I think it was the one that started at Six Flags Great Adventure them moved to Gurnee. I think it was the only other one, with Avalanche Run being the first.

That pic on pg. 308 may have been of a similar ride used on a marketing poster in early 1985. I believe the same advertising method was done with Thunder Canyon and Iron Dragon. A small caption near the picture indicated it was a similar ride at another park.

However, this old video is interesting:

At 0:50, it sure looks like AR with a single file seating arrangement.

Last edited by kylepark,

But that is not AR. I think that is from the park in New Jersey that is referenced in the video.

Does watching these videos make anyone else sad? They make me think of all of the things that we cannot do now.

Last edited by Shades,

It says in the video AR is is finishing the final touches before opening, so it’s clearly not AR with guests sitting single file.

ROUNDABOUND.

Since someone asked earlier, here are some pictures of the book.

The limited edition cover is pretty amazing.

https://imgur.com/skUyyHw

There are many sections in the book. This is from the section on defunct rides.

https://imgur.com/wIabRCu

Roller coasters have their own section. Here is the page on Mantis and Woodstock Express.

https://imgur.com/4Ao9595

There is a section which covers Cedar Point year by year. Here is the page for 1970.

https://imgur.com/e7HCgd9

I'm guessing the non-limited edition cover will look like the image on the webpage linked below. This is also where to order a copy of the book currently.

https://1870publishinggroup.com/about-the-book

Last edited by Chuck Wagon,

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

kylepark said:

That pic on pg. 308 may have been of a similar ride used on a marketing poster in early 1985. I believe the same advertising method was done with Thunder Canyon and Iron Dragon. A small caption near the picture indicated it was a similar ride at another park.

There isn't a caption for the photo in our copy of the book. Aside from the single-file seating I assumed it wasn't Avalanche Run since the outside of the trough appears to be just white and not a solid color (it's a black-and-white photo so it is hard to tell). Also there are trees close to the ride path and, like the news video shows, there weren't really any trees immediately next to Avalanche Run when it was built.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

Hi;

The picture was supposed to be captioned. It is from a early spring press release.

Sorry about that, hopefully the only mistake.

Ken

Is the book available in Sandusky for local purchase yet? If so, who's carrying it? Thanks! I'd like to get a copy but it doesn't seem to be available on Amazon yet.

Last edited by SarahB1863,

I don’t believe so.
1870 Publishing Group has a FB page with any updated info. Just subscribe to that and you’ll be amongst the first to know.

Hi;

The Limited Edition is sold out (thanks everyone). The Regular Edition should be in late next week. We will have it available on our website (www.1870PublishingGroup.com) and on Amazon.

1870, from your perspective is it better for us to purchase directly from you, or to order from the big river? You know I missed out on the special edition, but as you predicted, I've got to get one of these....

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Hi Dave;

Better to order off of the website. It will always have inventory. We will not use Amazon if the inventory is low. Don't like their fee structure or red tape.

THAT was kind of what I was getting at. I'm guessing that the price is the same or at least similar either way, but if I buy from you, you get to keep more of it... :)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

You are right. Price will be the same either way. Our decision was mostly based on the red tape but the difference in percentages does add up real quick.

So limited edition is gone? There will definitely not be any more of those made available? Wishful thinking, I know. It's called "Limited Edition" for a reason.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Yeah it is sold out. The regular edition has the same content, just a different cover.

But it's a great different cover!

Would anyone be interested in selling me a limited edition copy? I have no problem paying a premium. I really want the book but honestly the standard cover is so bad I wouldn't display it with my collection where it should be.

Saying the cover is "so bad" is a slap in the face to Ken Miller, a man who put a lot of time into this project. Pretty disrespectful imo.

DRE420

I was in no way trying to be disrespectful. Im sure the content is amazing and I will still be purchasing a copy of the regular edition to show my support. It is a big beautiful book and the cover on the limited edition represents that. With the price being over $100 it is my opinion that the cover should reflect that. The limited edition cover was done with actual design and intent, the regular edition is no more than 7 pictures posted on an artboard in seemingly random fashion.

While I apologize for coming off as disrespectful, I am allowed to comment and have an opinion on the thoughts of the cover. They cost the same to print and one looks much better than the other, you can't disagree with that.

Last edited by Bull,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service