Dark ride?

WolfBobs said:

^Log flumes are very popular at every park I ever go to that still have one.

So you are saying you are an expert in determining popularity??? Just kidding, but since we have ramp/elevator/escalator experts why not have popularity experts.

But seriously - which camp are you in?

Long line = popular

or

High ridership = popular

Its not that confusing. I think dark rides are silly,and if that's what you're looking for than go to Disney.

It's not that confusing. In my opinion, the recent additions by B&M to CP are a lesser coaster than the Intamin coasters.

Also agree with WolfBobs that I would be okay with no new coaster for about 5 years and invest into the kiddie areas.

I am not seeing the general public getting as excited as they used to with bigger faster coasters. No I am not an expert just an observation I feel confident about. There are awesome, fast, big, twisting coasters everywhere and I think many people are getting numb to them. Look no further then Steel Vengeance and the surprisingly small amount of excitement it generated when it opened even though it is a very good ride. I love WolfBobs idea of a log flume with dark ride elements going onto the island tying into Forbidden Frontier and even the new Snake River Expedition. Plus people who would normally not bother going to FF would get a glimpse of it and maybe draw some more visitors over there. this type of ride would give CP a much needed new dimension and, I believe, would create more excitement than another big fast coaster.

MrJohnJLewis said:

Its not that confusing. I think dark rides are silly,and if that's what you're looking for than go to Disney.

As a grown up with a child living 11,000 feet away from Cinderella Castle, I can guarantee that I'm winning in every way.

Also, parks aren't built exclusively for you.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

11,000 feet? You checked that on Google Maps didn't you?

Nope. Tape measure.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I hate to break it to you, but just as parks aren't built exclusively for me; they are also no exclusively built for your child. If you look at the overall landscape of rides that Cedar Point has, they are aggressive and record breaking coasters. So we now want a record breaking dark ride? Headline:

"Cedar Point makes dark ride with the most interactive scenes"

Sorry I am not 8 years old and don't find animatronic cowboys and aliens on my coaster to be all that exciting

I'll let someone else explain what a business is, and why your feelings don't matter in terms of what a park decides to build.

Now we are just saying the same thing

MrJohnJLewis said:

I hate to break it to you, but just as parks aren't built exclusively for me; they are also no exclusively built for your child. If you look at the overall landscape of rides that Cedar Point has, they are aggressive and record breaking coasters. So we now want a record breaking dark ride? Headline:

"Cedar Point makes dark ride with the most interactive scenes"

Sorry I am not 8 years old and don't find animatronic cowboys and aliens on my coaster to be all that exciting

I for one would be super stoked if they broke the record for most interactive scenes! Rides like Toy Story Midway Mania are ridiculously fun.

MrJohnJLewis said:

Agreed that it is disappointing that the fountain is gone

I don't care much that the splash-pad is gone, but I still really miss the waterball.

You know what I like?

I like the Wizard of Oz. I like the Tin Man.

^ Don't bother me. I'm thinking.

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

MrJohn, would it make you feel better to hear that I’m pretty sure you’ll be getting your way? People on the internet have been screaming for a dark ride for a decade now and guess what - still no dark ride. I’m taking this to mean that despite what some coaster nerds online are salivating for, Cedar Point themselves have found that the base of their clientele has no interest in such a thing. I’d love to be wrong because count me in the camp that would love to see one, but if the data supported the want, it would already exist I think.

MrJohnJLewis said:

I rarely speak up on these kind of threads, but decided to in this case.

I was super excited way back when they announced that there would be at least one dark ride built in every Cedar Fair park. When it became clear that the plan was scrapped, I was a bit disappointed.If I had a choice between a bunch of dark rides and one or two true coasters vs. a ton of world class coasters - I would take the latter 9 times out of 10. But IMO, wishing for A dark ride is not the same thing as wishing for ONLY dark rides.

The world class coasters are Cedar Point's trademark - almost always have been and certainly will be well into the future. But why should that legacy forever prohibit them from putting in a dark ride because some people aren't as enthusiastic about it?I've said before (don't recall when/where) that both coaster enthusiasts AND families need to be included in CP's future vision - which is why I was super stoked with the Snake River Expedition announcement. Anything that increases ride options for my family and friends who are not extreme thrill riders is a good add in my book. I think A dark ride (not looking for a DOZEN dark rides) at Cedar Point would be a welcome addition.

Last edited by Rusty,

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

I like turtles.

^So you're a turtle expert now?!

I know its a pipe dream but would love CP to open something along the lines of the Spiderman ride at IOA. I know it would be at a huge cost and The Point isn't exactly known for keeping up on theming, but I think something like this is missing in the park.

Don't get me wrong, I am not accusing anyone of saying that Cedar Point should have dozens of dark rides. I know there are plenty of "coaster nerds" on here and they have been dying for a dark ride for many years, but I feel like a dark ride would be very similar to Gatekeeper and Valravn. Those are new coasters and I don't think they are at the top of anyone's list. If Cedar Point wants to continue to claim it is the "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" then they should continue their focus on boosting their roller coaster lineup with world class coasters. That would be my business approach if I were in charge

For perspective, Gatekeeper is not at the top of my list, but it is at the top of both of my daughters' lists, which puts it at the top of our collective list as a family.

I was also excited when C.F. announced it's "Cedar Dark" initiative, but that excitement was tampered when they were installing the Triotech interactive rides (just not my thing); but at least it was a dark ride initiative.

Forbidden Frontier was such a dynamic and welcome change to the park; we're excited to see what he character expansion and of course the addition of S.R.E. adds to an already great experience.

Speaking of Mack and other manufacturers, they have a new ride experience that I think would a great indoor dark ride experience called the "Rocking Boat". You could do a lot in a small footprint with all those tight turns, with the added coolness-factor of a water ride.

ROCKING BOAT

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service