Taste of The Point and Food Upgrades

Well I'll be in the minority on this...
Tony Packos sucks. If you want a Toledo type hot dog experience I'd roll with Netty's Chili Dogs. I mean Tony Packos probably sells more jars of their pickles than anything else. I'd rather see a Lafayette Coney Island type place over all of them, that would be appealing to the Michigan folks.

And I find Barrio tremendously over rated. Coca Cola marinated steak? Hold on let me get my flannel shirt and non prescription hipster glasses to enjoy this.

If there is one Cleveland brand I'd love to see it's Slyman's. More specifically Slyman's Tavern. I think that would do well and be very unique.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

Honestly, I'd much rather have a dog from Lafayette (or American) Coney Island in downtown Detroit than a hungarian hot dog at Packo's any day. Not that Packo's aren't great, but they don't come close to a Coney Island from Lafayette. Packo's is closer to Sandusky, though, which is why I brought them up.

Y’all haven’t had a hot dog until you come to Rochester, NY for a Zweigle’s pop-open red hot or white hot. Ruined hot dogs for me every where else...

ROUNDABOUND.

Would love to try one! I'm also very partial to Monroe's Original Hot Dog in Monroe, Mi. One of the best.

Am I the only one seeing that almost every person who has said "I don't like (insert name here), (insert seconds name here) is the best." is almost always picking what is local to them?

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Perhaps, except I live about70 miles from Detroit.

Rob- Sure, it in the case of Zweigle’s it’s true.

ROUNDABOUND.

As for the hot dogs at Pinks, I'm sure they have plenty of fans. However, whenever I looked at the menu I started to wonder how all those concoctions of ingredients was going to sit with me as I continued my day in 85 degree heat. I suppose I would prefer the mid-1970's Cleveland Municipal Stadium hot dog vendor dog, the guy would snap open his portable case and snatch a wiener out of that hot water, slap it on the bun and douse it with Stadium mustard. Simple and effective, that guy would make a killing walking the CP midways.

Red Garter Rob said:

Am I the only one seeing that almost every person who has said "I don't like (insert name here), (insert seconds name here) is the best." is almost always picking what is local to them?

Well sir, MY favorite hot dog stand is Max's in New Jersey. https://www.maxsbarandgrillnj.com/

BUT, that's not local to Ohio, so I stuck with Tony Packo's.

Happy Dog from Cleveland would be nice, again they have experience in quick service from Progressive Field in Cleveland.

And I would 100% be all for replacing Chickie & Pete's with a Slyman's Tavern, who also has exceptionally fast service if you've ever been to one.

At the end of the day, if the park is going to bring in a restaurant for name recognition like Pink's or Chickie & Pete's, I'd much rather see something local from Ohio or even southern Michigan. Celebrate the local establishments that have their own cult following.

Last edited by WolfBobs,

if you haven’t given C&Petes a try the last couple of years, I suggest you give it another try.
The first years in the park it was outright horrible, the last two years it’s has been a hidden gem of good service (CP standards) and really good food (sports bar food).

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

If we’re going for great dogs, the answer is Portillo’s!!!

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

Dirty Frank’s.

XS NightClub, I thought that Chic and Pete's Is leaving too. Think they are bringing back the Corral.

The Corral is coming back in the same place as the old Corral. Instead of it being a walk up stand, it’s going to be a walk in stand basically. I haven’t heard or seen anything about Chickie’s and Pete’s going anywhere. I can take it or leave it in my opinion.

XS NightClub said:

if you haven’t given C&Petes a try the last couple of years, I suggest you give it another try.
The first years in the park it was outright horrible, the last two years it’s has been a hidden gem of good service (CP standards) and really good food (sports bar food).

Maybe I will give it another go this season, I was pretty disappointed in it a few seasons ago and just haven't gone back. My go to recently has always been the new BBQ the park has added. Plus I was always confused on how tipping should work as I was using the meal plan lol

WolfBobs said:

Red Garter Rob said:

Well sir, MY favorite hot dog stand is Max's in New Jersey. https://www.maxsbarandgrillnj.com/

BUT, that's not local to Ohio, so I stuck with Tony Packo's.

Happy Dog from Cleveland would be nice, again they have experience in quick service from Progressive Field in Cleveland.

And I would 100% be all for replacing Chickie & Pete's with a Slyman's Tavern, who also has exceptionally fast service if you've ever been to one.

At the end of the day, if the park is going to bring in a restaurant for name recognition like Pink's or Chickie & Pete's, I'd much rather see something local from Ohio or even southern Michigan. Celebrate the local establishments that have their own cult following.

I actually don’t get the desire to feature a place that is available in Cedar Point’s market area...

at least 95% of the visitors come by car, if they want to visit a “local flavor” they can do that anytime. There is no sense in putting a Berardi’s in the park when you can go to the actual restaurants in Sandusky and Huron. How about an authentic Mexican fast food restaurant from, you know, Mexico? Or an authentic Toronto Poutine stand?

^ I almost completely agree, but if I were to guess, they would want local flavors inside of the park for the guests that find the value of not leaving the resort/park property to go elsewhere.

I would like to see a permanent 'carve it off the cone' authentic gyro stand somewhere in the park. I think maybe some of the food trucks that they bring in may have served gyros, but I haven't really sampled much from the trucks. Probably short sighted on my part...

The gyro cart in downtown Sandusky isn't bad, but with limited space and extended mobility, I think he just uses the frozen meat slices that you get from GFS. Still a great lunch, but there's just something about a freshly carved gyro.

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

Are you referring to Heavy G's?

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

I don't think so, but I'm not really sure what he was called, so I can't be sure. I was referring to the guy that just had his cart on a trailer and he always set up shop near the popcorn wagon on the corner of Columbus Avenue and Washington Row in Sandusky in the warmer months.

(Or are you saying that Heavy G's is a cart that is featured at CP when the food trucks are there)?

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service