Unpopular Cedar Point/Poinbuzz Opinions?

^But you could easily say the same for TTD and Maverick, many years after opening...

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

3snoH un=l said:

I'd appreciate more general entertainment rides, I don't mean family rides for an adult to squeeze in next to the child on a kiddie ride in kiddie land. More grandparents used to go to the park, too, back in the day.

Young couples used to enjoy their "Tunnel of Love" type rides back in the day with their blossoming romances.

It doesn't seem like a well rounded park since they've removed those rides. Or maybe entertainment has moved beyond me.

The target demographic would laugh at a Tunnel of Love type ride being installed. It works as a nostalgia piece at a park like Kennywood (and would work even better without that god awful Garfield overlay) but Cedar Point has become a very well rounded destination in the last several years. They’ve done it by expanding beach offerings, bringing the hotel in line with where it should be, adding events like the BBQ Fest and Summer Nights, and not focusing on coaster counts. I’d argue the park is more well rounded than ever. But admittedly Cedar Point isn’t trying to attract grandparents or entice the young whippersnappers with the Tunnel of Love.

Thabto said:
And RMC doesn't tell their customers to pound sand when there is a problem with their product.

I’ve heard that about the guy who runs the US division of Intamin (Intaride?)... But what’s the specific story there?

ROUNDABOUND.

1000 years of force said:

djDaemon: I think the number of days that SV was "unavailable" this season until later in the day (even on days when it was one of the the early entry coasters) or not at all, appears to support that it is more the norm than exception for it to be not working... a full year after opening.

Yeah, let's talk in another decade or so. If, at that point, RMC has a ~15+ years-in-the-making reputation of putting out rides that:

• have excessive downtime, spanning years (TTD, KK, StR, Pilgrim's Plunge, etc.)
  • require substantial modifications when new (Maverick, I305)
  • injure their riders (TTD, Xcelerator)
  • kill their riders (RoS, Perilous Plunge, etc.)
  • nearly drown other riders (StR)
  • they refuse to fix (StR, etc.)
  • are removed after only a few years (StR, Pilgrim's Plunge)

At that point we can agree that the two companies are comparable. Until then, it's a nonsensical comparison based on a comparatively tiny sample size in the case of RMC.

Brandon

You don’t have to compare the two companies. RMC is building its own reputation of reliability, on-time delivery and ride experiences.
If someone points out the obvious, it doesn’t have to be a comparison to any other manufacturers.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

OP literally compared the two companies:

1000 years of force said:

3. I think that Intamin makes better overall coasters than RMC. Don't get me wrong everything that RMC has touched has had a fantastic ride envelope. But operationally they are just poo. Years of debugging, poor throughput, over engineering, and less than spiffy customer support. I wouldn't be too surprised if CF as a whole migrates away from them.

When I first read this, I honestly thought it was sarcasm, because the comparison is so absurdly ass-backwards that it just had to be. I mean, look at sentences 3-5. That perfectly describes the CF-Intamin relationship over the years, so of course OP is making a joke. I actually chuckled.

Then I re-checked the username, recalling previous posts of a similar nature, and realized that OP was being completely serious.

Sure, RMC has had some issues, but not on the same level as Intamin.

Brandon

• Magnum XL 200 is actually a good coaster despite how rough it is.
      • Agreed
    • Gemini isn't a good coaster.
      • Wrong! Good Coaster needs a little spicing up to make racing more fun.
    • I don't see the hype about a log flume.
      • Agreed
    • I hate how can't upload your own images to Pointbuzz directly from your computer. You have to use another site to get the URL for the image, then put it in that way.
      • No comment
    • I also hope Intamin and Cedar Fair work together again.
      • Agreed

The Intamin hate on this website is strong.

"Lemon Chill Guy" jokes were not funny 10 years ago, nor are they funny now.

That sounds a lot like what the Lemon Chill Guy would say.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I am entitled to Be Made Whole Again.

I don't know about you, but I wish there was a mentions system on this site.

I hate how can't upload your own images to Pointbuzz directly from your computer. You have to use another site to get the URL for the image, then put it in that way.

• No comment

^That right there has to be probably one of the most said things on this site.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

operative_me said:

That sounds a lot like what the Lemon Chill Guy would say.

That made me smile, so I'll make an exception for you.

GigaG said:

I certainly don't hate Intamin. Maverick and MF rank among my favorite rides in any park.

Brandon

The Intamins are good rides (save for WT, I couldn’t care less about that ride) but a lot of members on this site act like they’re the ones maintaining the things or dealing with Sandor.

^ First of all, your tone is too negative ;)

But for real, I wish I knew more about Sandor to make a better judgement call. I won’t base my opinion on hearsay.

My favorite rides are Intamins as well. But I do believe each and every manufacturer has its qualms as well as positives. It’s a very gray area for me.

Thabto said:
And RMC doesn't tell their customers to pound sand when there is a problem with their product.

No, they just throw their subcontractors under the bus publicly.

! said:
"Lemon Chill Guy" jokes were not funny 10 years ago, nor are they funny now.

You hate fun things.

GigaG said:

They're a crappy company with a poor track record of reliability, and far too many deaths and injuries associated with their rides. Doesn't mean that you can't also love Millennium Force and Maverick.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Cartwright said:

3snoH un=l said:

I'd appreciate more general entertainment rides, I don't mean family rides for an adult to squeeze in next to the child on a kiddie ride in kiddie land. More grandparents used to go to the park, too, back in the day.

Young couples used to enjoy their "Tunnel of Love" type rides back in the day with their blossoming romances.

It doesn't seem like a well rounded park since they've removed those rides. Or maybe entertainment has moved beyond me.

The target demographic would laugh at a Tunnel of Love type ride being installed. It works as a nostalgia piece at a park like Kennywood (and would work even better without that god awful Garfield overlay) but Cedar Point has become a very well rounded destination in the last several years. They’ve done it by expanding beach offerings, bringing the hotel in line with where it should be, adding events like the BBQ Fest and Summer Nights, and not focusing on coaster counts. I’d argue the park is more well rounded than ever. But admittedly Cedar Point isn’t trying to attract grandparents or entice the young whippersnappers with the Tunnel of Love.

I'm sticking with my "unpopular" opinion, it doesn't seem well rounded without the dark rides or theme rides and attractions, like an easy going non drenching flume. BTW, when we made our trips to Cedar Point when I was a child and go to the Funhouse, I would notice a few people lying on the beach and wonder, why in the world would they come here with all these rides just to go to the beach? My friends who would accompany me later would feel the same. I understand the connection with resort stays now, which wasn't so much back then either. But my mind was all about rides, that's why I never really got into the shows either, which my parents would take as an opportunity to have a sit. But it's still great they are adding more beach activity and opening it up as an asset and keeping up with shows, too, that's a park staple regardless of preference.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be "Tunnel of Love" specifically, I had fun riding Earthquake and Pirate Ride with guys I was dating as a teen and even young adult.

Last edited by 3snoH un=l,

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

Back in the day, on family trips to the park, my brother would spend all day in the arcade and my father would spend most of the day on a park bench, and I never understood why they were doing things they could do in the town we lived in 😀

A new dark ride? Maybe. CP knows its demographics, and what guests are interested in seeing in the park, and I'd suspect there's not a lot of interest in such attractions.

Last edited by noggin,

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

noggin said:
A new dark ride? Maybe. CP knows its demographics, and what guests are interested in seeing in the park, and I'd suspect there's not a lot of interest in such attractions.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. Members here have been screaming for a dark ride for... as long as PointBuzz has existed. If your typical park guest was also screaming for one, you bet there would already be one.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service