Winter Chill Out 2020

Does anyone know when it will be? I have a friend who says they called the marketing department
at CP and they said they didn't think they were doing one this year?

Last edited by Nancilee,

Nancilee Jones

We (those who have ordered the new CP book) are supposed to be able to pick them up there, so I assume it will be held. I hope they keep the same self-guided tour format as last year. We loved it!

I agree the self guided tour was outstanding. Probably the best one Ive been to. You can create your own personalized experience in what your interested in.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

i loved that! I had just fell on ice and broke my hip a couple weeks before, so I was stuck in a wheel chair at chill out. Hoping that doesn't happen again this year. I really want to enjoy the self guided tour more. I hope they keep that format.

Nancilee Jones

We always look so forward to The Chill Out. 2020 would be the 9th one for me.
VOTE ME 'YES FOR THE SELF GUIDED TOUR' AGAIN!!

That was so nice, you could wander at your own pace, take extra time and pics where you wanted, (spend extra time where it was warmer! LOL)

It was nice to mingle/chat with others that you wouldn't have been with if you weren't in their particular group.

Chill Out raises a Huge amount each year for charity, I'd hate to see it go away....

maybe tie it somehow into The BIG 150 Anniversary?

btw, ...did you know that "Sesquicentennial" is the 'fancy' word for 150 years??

officially defined as..."a 150th anniversary or its celebration"

Last edited by Stacys,

Stacys said:

btw, ...did you know that "Sesquicentennial" is the 'fancy' word for 150 years??

officially defined as..."a 150th anniversary or its celebration"

This I did know from all of my nerdy travels the past few years for the 150th of the Civil War. Hershey Park is only about 90 minutes from Gettysburg for all you coaster loving history buffs.

First ride; Magnum 1994

"This I did know from all of my nerdy travels the past few years for the 150th of the Civil War. Hershey Park is only about 90 minutes from Gettysburg for all you coaster loving history buffs."

Fellow history buff here! :-) I've been to Gettysburg many times, I love that place. Amazingly though, I've never been to Hershey Park! I should go there one of these days.

The first time I went to Gettysburg during the anniversary of the battle was in 1993 - the 130th! Boy, was it crowded, but what a fantastic time I had, talking to reenactors and exploring the battlefield. I wish I could go there now, that place is beautiful in the fall...

Our family farm is a sequicentennial farm.

Everybody, don't forget your septuacentennial cupcake in a cup!

SarahB1863 said:

Fellow history buff here! :-) I've been to Gettysburg many times, I love that place. Amazingly though, I've never been to Hershey Park! I should go there one of these days.

I'm not as well versed on the history as many of the buffs, but I am still very much interested in the battlefields and overall significance of the place. Gettysburg is where my parents spent their honeymoon in the mid 60's - it wasn't their initial destination, but for whatever reason, it turned into the place where they stayed. Back in the mid-aughts, my girlfriend and I drove through Gettysburg on our way back to Ohio from Ocean City, MD. A few months later when she became a fiance, we both independently of the other put Gettysburg at the top of the list as our own honeymoon destination. So we ended up spending a few days there, a few days in Lancaster, PA Amish country, and a few days at the Jersey shore. It wasn't what many would consider a typical honeymoon itinerary, but in early October it was perfect for us.

We have been back 2 or 3 times since then and I am certain we will visit again in the future. My wife is not a thrill rider, so I don't anticipate any side trips to Hershey Park - but you never know...

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

Rusty said:It wasn't what many would consider a typical honeymoon itinerary, but in early October it was perfect for us.

Oh, it's more common than you'd think! History aside (the battle of Gettysburg was the largest land battle ever fought in the western hemisphere), it's a beautiful area with woods, rocky hills, and wide-open meadows. It's just really pretty, full of quaint antique shops and a downtown that hasn't changed at all since the battle.

Plus, the fall colors there are gorgeous. Those big old trees really put out the bright leaves!

I believe the refurbishment was announced back in this time frame, so I'll use this as my reference point. Has anyone else noticed that they are using a soundtrack and not the Wurlitzer on the main Carousel? I was really disappointed yesterday as my grandpa had wanted to see it in operation.

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

The organ man has not been able to come to the park and address what ever situation exists. Ordinarily he would have been there before the park opens for the season, but that date had been up in the air for so long that it was difficult for them to set a definite date. From what I've heard he is scheduled to be there shortly.

He has already been and taken parts away to repair at his shop.

He and his team will return to complete the repairs and tune soon.

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

I would believe that they would outsource to another company with something special like this, but part of my experience on here makes me want to question this? Any sources for this information?

DJ Fischer

They've never had anyone on staff that could do anything but routine maintenance on the organ, i.e. clean out the tracker bars (which are currently not being used, it has a midi interface on it now) and un stick stuck valves. That came to an end after George Roos retired from the board of directors. Then the edict was that if it didn't directly affect the operation of an attraction, it wasn't necessary. From the late 1960's until the late 1980's all four organs (yes, there were four of them then, Midway, Kiddie Kingdom, kiddie carousel in the Kiddie Kingdom and Frontiertown) were taken care of by Don Stinson of Bellefountain, OH. The current firm is well known in these circles, and does quality work, as does the young man who has arranged all the music for the organ (it's a mix of new arrangements with some original Wurlitzer arrangements as well). https://dcramey.com/

Wow! That's some awesome history! Thank you!

DJ Fischer

Dutchman said:

Then the edict was that if it didn't directly affect the operation of an attraction, it wasn't necessary.

Worst edict ever.

OK, maybe not the worst, but bad.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

People gotta ride the Carousel

Certainly it makes a positive difference when the things that don’t have an effect on the operation are indeed functioning. Looking at you maverick and magnum tunnels.

First ride; Magnum 1994

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service