Rides that might be removed in the next few years

I have thought about a 4D, but I just don't see that one could be incorporated into the midway the way Corkscrew is. Plus I hope that something like Batman never comes to Cedar Point. I would be okay with something like X2 though, but even then....

As for removing Corkscrew just to add the same type of coaster it just seems redundant to me.

Looking at the first page of this topic, there was speculation 2 years ago that Calypso and Turnpike Cars would be removed for an unannounced project. That finally happened.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

They should remove Shoot the Rapids. Or at least modify it. We need a Whitewater Landing type ride. One where you can sit in the same boat with the kids and see them and watch their reaction. Also one where you don't get soaked! If you want to get soaked ride Thunder Canyon.

^ NNnooooo!

Bluestreaker said:

They should remove Shoot the Rapids. Or at least modify it. We need a Whitewater Landing type ride. One where you can sit in the same boat with the kids and see them and watch their reaction. Also one where you don't get soaked! If you want to get soaked ride Thunder Canyon.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if STR was removed within the next 5 years or so. It is a maintenance nightmare and not very popular. We will see though.

I don't even see how STR is considered a water ride. When I rode it in 2013 I walked off dry...

Thabto said:

Looking at the first page of this topic, there was speculation 2 years ago that Calypso and Turnpike Cars would be removed for an unannounced project. That finally happened.

Yeah those first few pages of this topic (pages 1-3) dated January 18th & 19th of 2013 (almost 2 1/2 years ago) are very interesting aren't they? It was like a prophecy!! I stated on two different posts, on those pages, that the park should take it one step further and tear down the Good Time Theater and possibly the Cedars Dorms in addition to those 2 rides and one of those has happened also. Maybe the park liked our suggestions with the prime real estate, haha.

I know Shawn and a few others on here like Shoot the Rapids but I agree that it would not break my heart if Cedar Point was to pull it out. No one I ever go with wants to ride it cause you just get to wet. WWL had the right recipe for a water ride. That spot where STR is could be a great spot for a dark ride cause it doesn't block any view of the lake.

Corkscrew need not be removed..I've voiced this several times, yes I'm biased, but even taking that away it's still a fantastic ride, and a great coaster for the younger crowd to work up to, but still can be enjoyed by even us as enthusiasts, especially those that love good old Arrows.

1. It takes up little to no land. The ride goes in a straight line down, and goes over a midway path that's been there and really will probably stay that way. In front of it is Matterhorn and Sky Ride, neither ride being removed probably ever lets be honest. Matterhorn may get moved at some point, but I doubt it, and still that's a very small section of land it takes up. Sky Ride will never move, ever. That Von Roll is here to stay. You basically free up a space of land that really wouldn't yield much use anyways. Right next door is maintenance shops, and the other side Power Tower. Not to mention a bunch of foods freezers, Power Tower's air compressors, and Super Himalaya.

2. People say it's uncomfortable. Well, it's an old Arrow, and rides like an old Arrow. I don't get how people can say oh Loch Ness Monster (BGW) is rough but amazing, and then say Corkscrew is just flat out terrible when honestly they both ride the same. They may have some differences in wheels and stuff that cause a bit of a rougher ride at times, but not constantly and forever. I think the love for Corkscrew isn't like Magnum or something because people look at it as puny now. Oh it's 85 feet, oh it goes upside down, oh its too short. You're looking at at the time something that was record breaking and unimaginable. I'm sure Walt, Jason, or others could dig out pictures of full queues and pamphlets showing this off left and right. It's history, and Cedar Point has that history, it's our park. If Magnum was up on the chopping block so many people here would grab pitchforks and fire torches, but if Corkscrew goes, for some reason noone cares to lose that history either.

3. It is still popular. Just because a ride doesn't have a 2-3+ hour wait all day doesn't mean it's not getting riders. People say "Oh I don't know how Mean Streak still stands everyone hates it" when even Sunday with a dead park it pulled full trains for hours. That's all that matters. Corkscrew is the same way. it may only be a station or stair wait, but many times it's filling trains. It may die off or start up slow, but it still has hours where it stays filled.

4. It can be thrilling. You have a nice quick pull on the hill, a fantastic Arrow bunnyhill, a loop, and two corkscrews. It may not be 200 feet tall, or 93 miles an hour, but it's fun and gets the job done. If you say oh it's short..Common, you ride Dragster for 17 seconds people.

5. It works well for kids. Many a times I sat at crowd and watched kids face fears seeing the corkscrews down the midway from the top of the stairs or hearing people yell through the loop. Then pass through the turnstile to brave the ride. These kids are experiencing a first. Say after Mine Ride or Iron Dragon, what's the first looping coaster or coaster with inversions in the park you can throw em on? Choose Rougarou, oh wait that's a 54 so might not be there yet. How about Raptor, oh yeah same deal. Maybe Maverick, oh wait that's a 52. In the 48 inch category when they hit it to start riding big rides,it's the only one with inversions they can start with and enjoy. Why take that away from them for a few very small acres? Stand at the exit one day after riding. Watch a brand new 48 inch kid's first day with big coasters before and after and see their faces. It's worth watching, and I wish I had an on ride photo to snap that face during the ride too. Those are memories. How many here remember their first time going upside down on a coaster. Some of you it may have even been Corkscrew. See, you still remember that. Why take it away?

6. It's one of a few rides in the park that can run in weather that shuts alot of things down. There are times when I was one of very few rides up and running in the park, and it caused us to have a full queue. Might as well ride something. Take Corkscrew away, guess more midway time for you.

In closing, it's a great ride, no a damn good ride and I'm proud to have worked a full season with it. Everytime I go up the stairs of the platform or stand under the corkscrews and see those red lights blink with riders screaming right over me, I smile. It'd be quite odd to walk from the main midway and not have something right there. It'd feel a bit empty.

If, and if it ever gets removed, which clearly I hope doesn't happen. Please keep the corkscrews like Alton Towers, and preferrably right there. If not that's fine, but preserve that, it's for sure been a charm on the midway since the ride was built. Also, please let me pop those pedals one last time, and take a piece of the ride, I'd pay big money to keep something from it alive. So much history is there. The Bicentennial ride, a Toomer designed coaster, millions of riders sitting on the trains. It's perfect history, and deserves it's place among the best.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Very well said. Corkscrew created as much excitement as Magnum or MF did when they opened. I still remember my first ride on it. We marveled at how smooth it was and the bunny hill was the best airtime I experienced on a coaster at that time. It was a sensational, state of the art ride and that signature corkscrew over the midway was never duplicated to my knowledge. I still ride it and enjoy it. The bunny hill is still fantastic.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Just curious here, but since Rougarou hardly has a line most of the time, is it in danger of possibly being removed? I would hate to see this happen, but I'm sure most people on here will cheer If it does happen.

I don't think you have anything to worry about- they wouldn't have spent all that money to refurbish it just to TAER IT DOWN!!!111!!
i AM of the opinion though that ol' wolfie could definitely use some new OTSRs. I think Maverick's restraints are the standard bearer of secure yet comfortable, and I for one find it a little hard to enjoy Rougarou when I'm spending most of the time trying to keep my ears from smashing into the restraints.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

What it really needs is some ratcheting vests. No need to worry about your ears when your collar bones are being inverted.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Shawn-
I feel like you’ve asked this before?

Rougarou suffers from what I call Cedar Point-itis... It would be a STAR attraction at so many other parks. But at CP where the bar is set pretty high, it’s just “meh”... What would the folks at Michigan’s Adventure or Valleyfair think of this B&M showed up at their doorstep?

solly-
I think they addressed the restraint question when Mantis was Rougarou-ed... They couldn’t go to the new vest restraints because they are so much wider than the old style OTSRs (that’s also why Valravn has 8 per row vs 10 on Griffon). However I thought it would’ve been worthwhile to go to a 2-seat-per-row layout, especially now knowing that ridership isn’t terribly high... But that would require a totally new train design.

ROUNDABOUND.

Topic. Iron Dragon.

Length of a line is not a reason to remove a ride. How many people actually ride is a reason. Maintenance costs are a reason. Guest satisfaction is a reason. But not the length of time people stand in line.

Compared to the Intamin maintenance nightmares, my guess is Rougarou is relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain. It’s also one of the only big coasters that reliably stays open in rain and wind. It may be second tier in terms of the CP ride lineup, but it serves a purpose and is a solid ride.

The Iron Dragon has to stay. I know it is getting old. The reason it is for young kids that are starting their "Moving on Up" . From the small coasters to the next to the Higher too. I told my cousin that is 10, and listened to me, and after the Iron Dragon he jumped to the Gemini. The "Rougarou" could be removed, because many don't like to ride it anymore.

This topic pops up every few months but I'll list the rides I wouldn't be shocked or sad about if they leave. Corkscrew, Wicked Twister, Mine Ride or Gemini. I can easily see each of these rides being removed or replaced with 10-15 years or sooner. Each I think could easily be replaced with something modern that could fill the void it leaves.

Gemini could be replaced with a GCI dueling woodie (Or even something from RMC if CP works with them again) Could have a similar height requirement of 48" and similar capacity, if not even better with possibly having both sides run 3 trains.

Mine Ride could be upgraded/replaced with something like Seven Dwarfs for Firechaser Express at Dollywood. Again keeping a low height requirement, possibly even lower than the current 48" requirement.

Corkscrew I believe could be replaced with a vertical lift Infinity coaster from Gerstlauer. If Knott's can fit one in where a Boomerang was, CP could fit one in where Corkscrew is.

Wicked Twister? I'd prefer to see a family coaster, maybe a B&M family invert take up that space.

Anyways, I'll save this post for when this topic pop ups again in 3 months. :) I don't really see any of this happening, I just wouldn't have a problem with the park making the decision to remove older, "outdated" rides for new modern equivalents as long as the height requirements stay the same or even lower to allow more family fun.

I would be devastated to lose Gemini. Everything else on that list I would hardly bat an eye at losing.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service