No cell phones... at all

GigaG said:

OK, now you're just being snarky :P.

Just trying to help you out to get your sarcasm meter working again Giga. :)

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I thought they were installing moving conveyors of air conditioned recliners in the SV queue for CoasterMania. We would plug charger in when we get into the line and unplug it when we get into the train. You mean to say we will have to WALK through the line. In the hot sun. Count me out. Off to guest services to lodge a complaint seeking to be made whole....

Is that a phone in your pocket?

No, it’s my gun!

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

Very well, As you were.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

JohnMosesBrowning said:
Is that a phone in your pocket?

No, it’s my gun!

See, security theater has failed again! 😀

SV ENTRY GUARD: spoken sternly as he examines the bulge "Sir is that a phone in your pocket?"

GUEST: leaning and and whispering softly "No, I'm just happy to see you."

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

This has to be the funniest video I have ever seen. This is what the park is up against.

https://sontlive.com/listen-to-the-announcers-reactions-of-sorority...ball-game/

Nah, this is: https://sontlive.com/drunk-man-argues-with-his-own-reflection-in-the-mirror/

Seriously though, not everything you do has to be on social media 24/7. What is with people nowadays?

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

That's why I got rid of all my social media accounts, bunch of BS.

Yeah, or you could end up on it either way whether you like it or not, such as that old fart in the video I posted. I actually do have a couple social media accounts, but I try to keep a lot of info off. Wonder if pointbuzz would count as social media.

I'd rather be sailing

My friend took a word search book into line yesterday. That was actually a good idea and he seemed to be fairly occupied the whole time. Me and my other friend were even assisting with the word search finding words.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

How on earth would he be able to do so, unless it was a small one and he had cargo shorts. I wish I could take my sketchbook with me, but I couldn't do that yesterday.

I'd rather be sailing

He was me he's referring to and yes the word search book was pocket size. I walked in the queue and they had no idea I had it on me.

Last edited by Shawn Meyer,

That just further highlights the ignorance and dogma of this policy. They're so concerned with cell phones even in secured pockets yet they'll let people walk around with books and (I assume, sorry if I'm wrong) pens/pencils. God knows a flying pen or pencil could do some serious damage, possibly much more than a cell phone.

Not meaning that as an attack on you by any means, I'm sure you took precautions unlike the folks who precipitated this policy.

Keys, sunglasses, a sturdy metal wallet... so many other things that could be a danger and all they're really pushing is "no cell phones whatsoever". Sure they'll tell you at the station as you're not paying attention that any loose items "must" be secured in a buttoned, velcroed or zipped pocket but I watched them break that rule themselves when they clipped my wife sunglasses to the front of her shirt. I knew better and quickly put them in my pocket and zipped it up.

They were even telling people they couldn't have fanny packs last time I got in line! If you're wearing a fanny pack in 2018 I'll just go ahead and accept any risks, you clearly take the security of your loose objects extremely seriously.

I think they are focusing on cell phones because some people just can't refrain from trying to take pictures or POV video while on the ride. Seems to me the policy is more about proactively preventing people from picture taking than the risk of a phone falling out of a zippered pocket.

Still bothers me though that the people trying to do this are just as likely to be trying on any other ride in any other park anywhere, yet this policy seems to just be for this one ride. It doesn't and won't make sense to me.

*edit*

/inb4"makewhole"jokes.

Last edited by MForce411,

^Likely because of SV's extreme airtime and propensity to throw a phone out compared to other rides. I still don't love the policy tho.

As for fanny packs, thats an RMC rule due to the way the restraint was designed.

There used to be, years ago, a binder in the original Magnum photo booth of funny on-ride pictures.

Where the camera is located there is a good bit of direction change going on.

I remember somebody wore Bane and Batman masks and another couple were playing magnetic chess...

Mostly though are the pages and pages and pages of people looking surprised as their (formerly) "secured" phone is flying away from them. Grasping, mouths open, phone doing a lovely pirouette <snap>...

Perhaps the most interesting statistic from this limited sample is that most of the offenders are iPhone users. What makes that interesting is the nearly exactly 50-50 split of phones that the park finds in one condition or another overall. Statistically poor conclusion: iPhone users like Magnum, and they cant seem to figure out how to store a phone for a ride.

The most interesting one was the person of female persuasion who had lost their wig moments before the picture. There was the wig, looking like a flying schnauzer, and there was the person, arms out, wig way too far away to be retrieved looking frantic...

Of course, things like that old book are strictly verboten nowadays.

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

This came across my timeline...

https://www.vindy.com/news/2019/feb/25/cedar-point-will-allow-cellp...r-coaster/

Ohio’s Cedar Point amusement park has reversed a policy that banned visitors waiting in line for the roller coaster Steel Vengeance from carrying cellphones.
The Sandusky-area park is adding zippered pouches to the bottom of the roller coaster seats, to hold phones and other loose items. Cleveland.com reports the park implemented a policy banning cellphones in the line for the record-breaking ride which features four inversions.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service