Farewell Witches Wheel

I find it really ironic that a ride called Witches' Wheel won't even be operating into HalloWeekends this year.

LightDark18 said:

I find it really ironic that a ride called Witches' Wheel won't even be operating into HalloWeekends this year.

The hydraulics for Witches Wheel does not like the cold. The coasters don't like it, WW doesn't either.

RIP Mean Streak
Past Cedar Point Ride Attendant

This news saddens me as I am a fan of Witches Wheel. It has always been a must ride for me upon every visit to The Point. Looking at Google Earth and doing comparisons it does appear as if it is a large enough piece of land for a coaster station, including queues. There is a considerable amount of real estate in that neighbourhood that is ripe for proper ride development. It will definitely be interesting to see what they have in store. In the meantime I am holding out hope that Witches Wheel is merely getting a good rehab and will soon rejoin the ride lineup in a new location.

I don't want the WW to go, but if I could pick any one flat ride to replace it, I would pick a Zamperla Kang-A-Bounce. Ever since I rode one at Morey's, I've been a huge fan of that ride. Not saying this is a realistic hope, just my slice of pie in the sky.

Strange enough, last time I rode it I almost panicked because it seemed a little old and crickety and it spun for a really long time. So long that I panicked that what would happen if it got stuck in spin mode, I would have freaked out as I can only tolerate the short minute or so that the ride does actually run. In any case, it seemed old and I swore to myself that I wouldn't be convinced to go on it anymore. Then the announcement a few weeks later. I'm sad for nostalgic sake but that's about it.

I rode WW just a couple days before the announcement and felt it wasn’t up to par.
It didn’t spin fast enough to hold me securely in place. I was sliding in the seat and able to move my arms freely.
My teenage nephew and I are going out to ride today. Hopefully we get a better ride.

I remember feeling that way on the old Kennywood Enterprise about 15 years ago. I was sliding all over the place, as if the speed was just a bit too slow.

The one at Kings Island stopped. The one at Camden fell. The one at the State Fair of Texas lost a car. There was one at another State Fair (Minnesota?) that wouldn’t stop.
I’ll take kind of slow.

Maybe moving another flat ride into that spot if using another psace differently. Troika, Chaos, and Calypso all moved over years to make room for changes.

I’ve always hoped they could get a train station closer to the resort gate. Would be nice if they could route the railroad over here.

Over the years a lot of rides have moved around CP. Calypso, Satellite Jets, Rotor, Scrambler, Himalaya, Monster, Matterhorn, Sky Coaster, French Frolic, Dodgem, Chaos, Troika, Schwabinchen, Twister, Wildcat, to name a few.

I wonder which still-existing ride has been moved the most times.

When does the Cedar Point Trivia Pursuit edition come out?

Promoter of fog.

Still-existing eliminates Wildcat which would be my first guess. I'm thinking that there are a bunch of one time movers. Giant wheel, Dodge-ems, Calypso, Troika. Anything moved more than once?

The original Wildcat held its spot by the beach until it was moved to Valleyfair. The second Wildcat replaced Jumbo Jet and stayed there until it moved to its final position across from Iron Dragon.
Among the flats that have moved once are Monster, Matterhorn, Schwabinchen, Troika, and Scrambler.
The second Calypso has moved twice. When it arrived in ‘70 it sat on the corner where Raptor’s loop is. Then it went next to Blue Streak replacing Satellite Jets, then as Tiki Twirl moved again next to Giant Wheel.
The first Calypso started life around where Starbucks is now. It moved to the spot where Windseeker is now, then finally as Tiki Twirl where Matterhorn is. That Tiki Twirl co-existed on the midway with Calypso ll for a few years.
Super Himalaya started life at CP behind Dodgem ll then moved next to Jumbo Jet, then moved across from Gemini, then moved to its current spot across from TTD. There, I believe, is your winner.

Last edited by RCMAC,

Good thing Dorney Park already has one,or this would probably be the "new" ride for 2019.

HotSauceJunky said:

Still-existing eliminates Wildcat which would be my first guess. I'm thinking that there are a bunch of one time movers. Giant wheel, Dodge-ems, Calypso, Troika. Anything moved more than once?

Didn't Calypso move twice? Once to accommodate Raptor, then again (and renamed) to accommodate Valravn.

hmmmm.... not sure....

And I believe Ocean Motion has moved once. It may have been where Windseeker is.

Ocean Motion was over around the Windseeker area. It was a nice shady spot. I liked it better back there.

I actually think the relocation of Ocean Motion was one of the most well done moves for Cedar Point. We all know that cedar point doesn’t go crazy with theming, so the fact that they added a pool with rock features actually made the ride look like it belonged. Additionally, it’s a really good visual as you walk in from the main gate. The ridership has to of skyrocketed since the move, because it would get lost tucked back in the location where Windseeker is.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service