Wicked Twister?

RCMAC said:

Oh, I would ride it every time if the line wasn’t too long. My seat was [redacted]- the unobstructed straight-down view on the back spike was always so thrilling.

Shush. Tell them to ride somewhere else! hahaha

Maverick since '99

RCMAC, I agree with you about Tiki Twirl. It didn’t make sense to me why they would remove WT’s entrance plaza for that ride when the 3 Point Shootout game could have been placed somewhere else.

Wicked Twister is one ride that I hope upper management is listening to both the GP and enthusiasts too who love the ride but simply cannot ride due to the restraints. It’s ridiculous to be honest, especially because this is one of, if not the MOST underrated ride in the park.

I’ve ridden Impulse coasters elsewhere, the one at Valleyfair may be the last one. It was several years ago, but I wasn’t any bigger or any smaller than I am now. Maybe the double twisting action is the reason for extra safety measures, but I still don’t get it. It seems like a CP specific precaution.

I’ll ask what’s up with the restraints on Wicked Twister at the CoasterMania Q&A they are always very forthcoming with info at those events and give very clear answers.

ROUNDABOUND.

^ let us know what they say. And make sure they don’t give you that “it’s up to the manufacturer of the ride to determine the restraints”. Very generic answer

I know it's not the same type of ride but I always get frustrated about Wicked Twister's restraints in comparrison to the ones on Volcano at Kings Dominion. It's a very similar train and launch but Volcano has center mounted belts that I easily fit on. But on Wicked Twister... don't fit. It is what it is of course, but frustrating nonetheless.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

RCMAC said:

I’ve ridden Impulse coasters elsewhere, the one at Valleyfair may be the last one. It was several years ago, but I wasn’t any bigger or any smaller than I am now. Maybe the double twisting action is the reason for extra safety measures, but I still don’t get it. It seems like a CP specific precaution.

If anything, Valleyfair's model is the one in need of more safety measures, as it is one of (if not the) last impulse coasters with the vertical hold brake on the back tower still active. When that brake engages, you're thrown down and forward into the restraints with your entire body weight against the natural force of gravity, and this maneuver feels far more "dangerous," from a mechanical standpoint (and more unique to me, from a ride standpoint) than the rear twist on Wicked Twister.

Just to add, I was at Valleyfair a couple of weeks ago, and their model still has much more accommodating seatbelts compared to WT, so I do agree that the difference in seatbelt length between the two coasters is quite surprising, especially considering they're in the same chain.

Rode MF yesterday and noticed my seat (Red row 6/3-2 right side) had the belt installed in a flipped over way . When straightened across the lap the male end was facing up and the pull strap was down, meaning I had to twist it to get it to buckle down. I made sure a few times the belt was not twisted and indeed installed this way before twisting it to buckle.

Not a huge deal (unless you ended up needing an extra inch to buckle) but seemed to show there is not much QC with the belts on many of the rides...

I would hope that in the future for a train to be "certified" all belt lengths should be within tolereance of spec (+/- a few mm) and installed right way before it can be run.

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

Considering the seatbelt is an overly redundant safety mechanism I'd guess the "QC", as you put it, isn't necessarily guided by exacting standards. As others have pointed out before, the same rides in different parks may have completely differing setups. So maybe the manufacture doesn't give an actual specification for a seatbelt, if any guideline at all, maybe just an optional addition.

Perhaps, Rideman, could have some information on this or maybe it could be asked at coaster mania.

One question I'd think of is if the differing states may have requirements that affect the installation of seatbelts. I would also not expect a 'real' answer from a park official about this question other than maybe they follow all state requirements and are commissioned to those standards.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Enjoy. Wicked twister just got longer seatbelts.

How much longer? Does the length compare to some of the other inverted impulse coasters?

It seems quite similar to Valleyfair's seatbelt length based on my own recollection; I'd say approximately 1 to 2" were added to the seat belts. When I rode today, there weren't any walks of shame (with several larger guests fitting just fine), but as always it's dependent on where you carry your weight. It's certainly far more accommodating than it was before. Ask and ye shall receive!

Interesting.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Awesome! Can anybody confirm this who has already been on at the beginning of this season and compare?

I was being 100% sarcastic about them being open & honest at CM Q&A...

ROUNDABOUND.

So I didn't fit on WT last year and although I lost quite a bit of weight, the reports of new belts had me worried. The ride was closed when I passed by during CoasterMania. I fit in the test seat. It wasn't closed all day, I just didn't go back. Anyone know if the belt on the test seat was replaced as well?

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

I didn't ride it earlier in the season, but I did ride this weekend, and the current belts are definitely longer than last year's belts.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

They definitely replaced the belts this season. It was at first a fit with pretty much no give to now definitely having an extra inch.

Sacrificing playing video games to ride roller coasters.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service