Rude Enthusiasts

Just got back from Millennium force and Rougarou passholder ERT. During this time I witnessed many enthusiasts shove they're way past people and run up and down the ramp to see who could get the most rides out of their friends not to mention they were loud and obnoxious. I even saw an older gentleman yell and swear and get up in the face of a younger female employee when she would not open the gate connecting the unload and load station. Then one of the last trains several people. booed the ride ops on the unload platform. It's crazy how some people act and no wonder cedar point is starting to not welcome enthusiasts it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone. So my point please be polite and respects towards the ride ops they're trying their best AND staying late after a full day to please you so please be kind and respectful towards all ride ops and employees.

Last edited by Magnum-Man,

I witnessed a similar situation last year at one of those ride nights. Just a reminder why I haven't attended any enthusiast events in years.

I've been attending enthusiast events for decades and haven't witnessed similar events. I'd guess these were the proverbial "bad apples," and not represntative of most enthusiasts

That said, I second what Magnum-Man said. Ride ops do a great job, thank them for their efforts.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Unacceptable. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous. Yes, we pay a lot of money for season passes year after year, but we ALL do.

@RyanRufe

Enthusiasts are entitled to nothing. Ever.

You bought a pass, the chain delivered.

Your ride count, ride stats, # of parks, coaster knowledge is literally worthless (and downright ridiculous if you ask me). I never understood the "I've ridden Millennium 300 times" crap. You don't get special treatment, you don't get special rewards. You are one person in an amusement park of thousands of people.

The crazy part is, these enthusiasts do ruin it for everyone, and most of us know. I can recall one leather jacket wearing enthusiast most of us know who attended an event they were not invited to. Many people noticed this. The good part is though, the community is pretty good about shunning these individuals. I haven't seen this person in the parks for the better part of a year now honestly.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I think its in the constitution about the right to free rides after dark. Or at least that what it seems when people get upset with ride ops. A bunch of kids running to get back in line is rude but at least they are not yelling at staff. The older gent yelling about the gate should be barred from future passholder events. The process goes; line up, ride, get off, exit, line up again. Why would an employee risk any sort of incident and open the gate for you?

First ride; Magnum 1994

^^ Mean Streak Henry got a certificate hung up ;)

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

CoasterKyle1121, yes they did put up a certificate for Mean Streak Henry, but that is totally different and you CAN'T say that it's not. To me; that's not in any way shape or form entitlement, it's just celebrating a mile stone for both him and Cedar Point. Also when they closed Mean Streak last fall, I bet they sent the certificate home with Mean Streak Henry.

Last edited by Jake10,

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

If my math is correct, I believe the Ride Count is equivalent to Reddit Gold, which is equivalent to Schrute Bucks.

However, I am unsure of the conversion rate of Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickels.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I went to the park for Platinum ride nights.

Yeah I don't get the MS Henry crap either. I only give him credit for loving a ride that to me was just abysmal. Aside from that I don't get the other crap given to him (like rerides when noone else could, etc.).

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I don't know how crowded MF was later in the evening, but at 5:30 to 6:00pm yesterday the line was small, up to where it unloads. We road 3 times and the process is very simple to follow. Exit, take the 2 minute walk around to re-enter, have a great ride.

The problem with some of the pushier enthusiasts I've met is it's less about the ride and more about people knowing that they had the ride... If you gave them a choice that they could ride it 5 times in a row and tell everyone or ride it 50 times in a row and never be able to tell a soul, they'd choose the first one every time...

Henry didn't bother me, just seemed like an old guy doing what he loved who maybe enjoyed keeping track of things more than needed and probably was enjoying the attention. Other people deciding they're going to be the Henry of other rides I don't get it. It's been done, it was a moment in time and now it's over. I think I saw Henry leaving the park as I was coming in a couple weeks ago and since he wasn't wearing one of his Mean Streak Henry shirts I'm guessing he knows the moment is over too. Time to move on.

noggin said:

I've been attending enthusiast events for decades and haven't witnessed similar events.

For real? I've seen this happen for the last 20 years, and it's worse at CP than other parks.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Paisley-
Yeah but... that kind of thing has been going on for decades. Just like when a younger Don Helbig rode Kings Island's Racer over 2000 times. Or there's Carl Eichelman who rode The Beast every single day and stopped counting at 4,400. Every ride has its fans and then there are a few super fans who have a compulsion to go as many times as they possibly can. Trust me, CP has their share and there are several more than just Henry.
What eventually happens is the park catches wind, the ride ops get to know them, and even the general public notice. A good super fan will never be demanding and will follow all the rules so they may continue their odd hobby. And if the ride ops extend the occasional priveledge then so be it. He or she is "theirs" and usually they get to know and like them.

I've seen disgraceful displays from enthusiasts, though. Usually it's when they walk around with the attitude that their fanaticism entitles them and they act like they own the place. I've been cut by, pushed, and stepped on. My favorite is the ones who attempt to manage the line for everyone else. I've been told to switch seats or places in line and it's clear to me they're trying to... whatever. (Yea, I don't think so...) And then there are the ones who while on the platform speak loudly of intervals, stacking, loading, trying to make sure the op hears them. Well,... how can they be identified as an "expert" unless they let everyone know, right?

Ugh.

Last edited by RCMAC,

^^ Since I only really to to CP anyone at other parks I'm just not aware of. As far as enthusiasts go I don't get out much...I've seen some of the guys in the pic at the park and I see Peg there a lot but Henry is the only one that I've ever talked to.

Jeff said:

For real?

For real. And I've got three decades of enthusiast events behind me. I guess I just haven't seen that type of behavior.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Paisley said:

Henry didn't bother me, just seemed like an old guy doing what he loved who maybe enjoyed keeping track of things more than needed and probably was enjoying the attention. Other people deciding they're going to be the Henry of other rides I don't get it. It's been done, it was a moment in time and now it's over. I think I saw Henry leaving the park as I was coming in a couple weeks ago and since he wasn't wearing one of his Mean Streak Henry shirts I'm guessing he knows the moment is over too. Time to move on.

I saw him Wednesday. He was wearing the shirt. Guess it was in the wash when you saw him. XP

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

If it was him he was with a woman not any of the park regulars. Maybe his wife doesn't let him wear it when she's with him LOL

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service