As a Cedar Point employee, what's some eventful guests you encountered while working?

There's always got to be those guests.

I haven't worked there since the 70's, but if I recall correctly it's every day, all day. Eventually you lose track of all the stories.

Oh I have loads lol...

• Pointfest people or religious groups in the park. I was actually handed literature while at crowd control, absolutely ridiculous
  • Fathers Day in the park is a pretty fun day. So many families and up tight members of society are so concerned (unofficial gay day in the park)
  • Guests who speak zero English...they tend to not follow procedures the most. I had one couple we had to repeatedly tell they all couldn't come through one gate to fill a train. They just nod and smile lmao. Then from there one woman decided to sit on the OTSR...I lost brain cells just standing there
  • Smokers who get pissy you tell them they can't smoke anywhere. These people are probably the most rude guests in the park at any time. No matter what you tell them, they get super defensive and irate.
  • The creepy enthusiasts...The ones who spit off hundreds of stats, their coaster and/or ride count, wear the same clothes every visit (usually theme park related), and claim to know insider info. They're great in terms of ridership, I'd take the numbers, and their restraints are always perfect, no issues there. However, at crowd control, I have to fight to not roll my eyes. I really don't know how to help these people lol. Go to parks, ride rides, have a blast, but seriously not one person cares to know how many rides you've ridden, and no I'm, not your buddy lol.

I could go on if I actually look through old Facebook posts...I'm sure there's gold in a few of those haha.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Ive always wondered about the smokers. I see them often but usually watch employees walk past them without saying anything, except the cp police or security. I also imagine that ride ops probably bear the brunt of guests inability to follow direction.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Inability to follow directions? That happens in every department.

My first year working at Cedar Point, I was working in the hotel. A man asked where the restrooms were. I told him: Down this hallway, make a right and it will be on your right past Ship's Store. Man: But I don't know where Ship's Store is. Me: The restrooms are down this hallway, make a right. There will be a store there called Ship's Store, it's on the right past the store. Man: But I don't know where the store is. Me (slowly). Walk down this hallway. Make a right. The restrooms will be on your right. Man: *walks the complete opposite direction*. Me: (Facepalm).

In regards to smoking, a lot of guests don't feel the need to listen to "that kid" telling them they can't smoke where they want. I've had more times than I can count, approached a guest to inform them they have to put out their cigarette/stop vaping until they're in a smoking area, and been told "yeah whatever kid" then they proceed to walk away, still smoking.

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

I agree. Guest may feel like since it's outdoors, they can smoke anywhere. Guests may extinguish their cigarette, only to light it back up as soon as the employee turns their back I had a guest who was flickering his lighter to light a cigarette. I explained where the smoking area was (not that far from where he was at, actually). He took his cigarette and said "BUT IT'S NOT LIT, IT'S NOT LIT!" and showing that his cigarette was not light. i walked away, know he wouldn't listen to me if I explain the smoking policy and the areas were until the park closed.

It just got to the point with me that I threatened security, especially if they did it on the platform or in the queues where noone would escape, and then you've got not a few ticked off guests but a queue of 100 or so. Once they see you take action they usually stop, but it's ridiculous it takes that for another adult to listen to another one when it's clearly broadcast over the park audio, written, and probably many other things I'm not referencing.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Is it similar with line jumpers? Do they listen? I see people do that all the time, especially teens meeting up. I once had a woman try it to me while waiting for scrambler. She picked the wrong evening to ask to go ahead of me, as I told her no she got really mad and the rest of her group actually fell back behind us. I dont get why it is so hard to enter the lines together.

First ride; Magnum 1994

^^ Yes, it certainly is broadcast over the park-wide audio, there is no excuse for any "smoker" to plead ignorance of the park policy. The volume of the announcement seems a few decibels louder than whatever pop song is currently playing. All of a sudden comes Tony's voice using his best DJ inflection: "Lady's & gentlemen, welcome to Halloweekends at Cedar Point! For the enjoyment of all guests smoking areas blah blah blah......"

And we wonder why the young generation is so disrespectful to "authority figures", be it teachers, law enforcement, librarians, coaches, pastors, or anyone entrusted with enforcing rules big or small. It is usually an adult being a poor example thinking the "rules" do not apply to them.

Times & attitudes towards smoking have certainly changed over time. If anyone views some of the Youtube Cedar Point videos from 1970's era that some of you post, notice people smoking everywhere, in lines, along midways, etc.. Long gone are the days when I remember dad smoking in our 72 Hornet and flicking ashes out his window that would strike me in the back seat.

-Guy who lost his hat on one of our first cycles of the day and then came back after close and gave me 30 bucks for getting it when I was doing locks.

-During the power outage last year a woman implied it was done on purpose because we just didn't want to work. I'm sure Cedar Point benefited greatly from the thousands of refunds they had to give out that day! It's a conspiracy!

-People getting in line for Pipe Scream somehow thinking it's the line for Dragster. This happened at least 10 times when I was at entrance last year

As for smokers I haven't had any problems yet but that's probably because my ride was right around the corner from a smoking area so people were always understanding about it.

16 - Pipe Scream
17 - TL Slingshot
18 - TL Steel Vengeance
19 - Sup Tiques/Wave

kpr66 said:

-During the power outage last year a woman implied it was done on purpose because we just didn't want to work. I'm sure Cedar Point benefited greatly from the thousands of refunds they had to give out that day! It's a conspiracy!

Was this the power outage that was the result of a storm blowing down the power lines on the causeway? If so, are you saying someone ACTUALLY BELIEVED that was done intentionally? It sure does take all kinds, but wow!

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service