Working at Cedar Point

I'm debating on applying for a job during the summer of 2018 (hopefully as a ride op) and I have a few questions that would be greatly appreciated if answered:
1) I heard the hours are extreme (like between 50-75 each week) with low pay and no overtime. Is this true, and if so is it actually worth it?
2) Once you are assigned a ride, do you stay at that ride for the year, or do they have you switch it up all the time?
3) I've heard reviews on other sites and some people say it's a blast, and some people hated every second of it. Is it actually a really fun job or does it get old after a month or two?
4) Any basic pros and cons.

Thank you for the help!

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

1. Yes, the hours extreme. No, there is not overtime. My average work week has been around 60-65 hours/week, and that's at rides that aren't early entry. Despite the fact that there isn't overtime, it is worth it. As long as you know how to save money, you'll bank a decent amount.

2. You get assigned a ride when you're hired, there is always the chance this will change before you actually start working. You'll spend the majority of the summer at this ride, but you will also have plenty of opportunities to get trained at other rides throughout the season, especially if you stay through the very end of the season.

3. Yes, it is a lot of fun. You wouldn't have people (like myself) going back year after year if it wasn't even slightly fun.

4. For other basic pro's and cons read through the last 5ish pages in the Employee Lounge section.

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Working at Cedar Point isn't for everyone. Some people are just not cut out for the job. There are employees that decide after one week that it isn't for them and leave. Some don't even last one day. Others, like samosuband, thrive and enjoy it so much they keep coming back. Most have a good experience. Working at Cedar Point is what you make of it. Those with a positive attitude usually enjoy it. Most who hated it, probably have an axe to grind. They have or had a negative attitude, wanted to have more fun than work and were probably "let go." If you like an adventure, don't be afraid to try it.

Always interesting that the vast majority of job questions are about ride ops. There are LOTS of other jobs outside of rides. While it was 40 years ago, I worked 4 years in Catering. Company picnics and the like. First year as a grunt, then 3 years as manager. Worked my butt off, but, enjoyed the heck out of it! I wouldn't be on here if I didn't! I'm 60 years old now and just about to retire from a career in telecom, but, those 4 years were one of the most memorable periods of my life.

I would imagine ride operations gets so much prestige because most guests encounter us the most when they go to the park. Sure you will interact with admissions, foods, games, merch, live-e, sweeps, and others throughout the day but most people spend time mostly on rides. I know I wanted to be a ride host because of how friendly I saw them when I first visited the park as a guest in 2014. I wanted to be a part of that interaction and to say that I have operated some of the best rides in the world.

There are so many great jobs other than ride operations. Front stage you have merchandise, foods, admissions, guest services, games, sweeps, security, first aid, traffic/tolls, live-e, hotel desk staff and lifeguards. Backstage you have maintenance, landscaping, laborers, safety, warehouse, HR, wardrobe, associate housing, housekeeping, marketing, communications, trainers, cash control, and general office staff. Plus some others I am sure I forgot. Your job is what you make of it, regardless of where you work. The people you work with everyday become your family. I almost think that some games attendants who get into it might have more fun than some ride hosts. You can find a job for just about any major or interest at Cedar Point. It is also a great way to test out a career path you are unsure about. For example, games is a great place to start if you are looking at going into Marketing later on.

My advice to anyone is to apply and work for a summer. Come to work each day prepared and with your best foot forward. If you like it, great! We will gladly welcome you back to the returner's club. If not, well you got some great work experience and if you worked hard, some good references and network to support you later on.

3 Years of Fun!
Professional button presser.
Wearer of lime green and blue.

Ride Operations IS Prestige. We look sexy as hell in Red & Navy Blue ;)

1. You work alot. It's seasonal employment at an amusement park sometimes operating 12+ hours a day. The park is constantly alive 24/7 during the season, serious

2. First years don't pick rides to work as mentioned above

3. It's fun, and it's good character as for most it's about the first true job away from home/"adult living." I enjoyed my time, I wouldn't repeat today given where I am career wise, but as a 19/20 year old, it was great

4. See posts above, this is an old topic. Hell I have a giant post up above with stuff to help make a successful summer. Including the "No drama" deal..serious.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

samosuband, there actually are seasonal positions that pay overtime. Our division does as well as all the trade union seasonal positions. Just a FYI.

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

JohnMosesBrowning said:

Always interesting that the vast majority of job questions are about ride ops. There are LOTS of other jobs outside of rides. While it was 40 years ago, I worked 4 years in Catering. Company picnics and the like. First year as a grunt, then 3 years as manager. Worked my butt off, but, enjoyed the heck out of it! I wouldn't be on here if I didn't! I'm 60 years old now and just about to retire from a career in telecom, but, those 4 years were one of the most memorable periods of my life.

My only regret about working at CP 37 years ago is not going back for another summer!

It's hot, dirty, and the hours are long. It is very fun and you'll make a lot of friends.

I was in food service (thank God) and spent the vast majority of my summer in Frontier Town.

Having worked at the park for 6 summers, Frontiertown and Frontier Trail is the best area of the park.

I had a phone interview today to work in the rides department. I said I can work the full season. Which is work the weekends until June. Then from June until the Labor Day full time. Then weekends again until the end of the season which is the end of Oct. They said that the rides department at CP can't work with that schedule. That another department might be able to work with that schedule. I want to work in the rides department because I have experience in the rides department from working at a theme park before for 2 1/2 years.

2007-2008 WDW Train Conductor
2009 Ride Operator for the Worlds Tallest Skycoaster
2008-2010 WDW Attractions Hostess
2018- MA Ride Operator

Missing those weekdays in May...

"Your persiflage does not amuse. " - Ralph (from Around the world in 80 days)

RollercoasterLover said:
I had a phone interview today to work in the rides department. I said I can work the full season. Which is work the weekends until June. Then from June until the Labor Day full time. Then weekends again until the end of the season which is the end of Oct. They said that the rides department at CP can't work with that schedule. That another department might be able to work with that schedule. I want to work in the rides department because I have experience in the rides department from working at a theme park before for 2 1/2 years.

They would probably more appt to work with you if you are able to do weekends in May, which in my opinion, shouldn't be too too bad/busy, because the season would just be getting started. The last year I worked there, I was there for all weekends in May and it was good for the most part aside from the thunderstorms about every other day that year, LOL.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

RollercoasterLover said:

That's surprising because I can't work in May at all. I process in on June 7th and will work until August 17th and they assigned me to Magnum. It may have been because you didn't apply as early as others did

Hey guys, I'm gonna be working at cedar point from May til August, and I just had a quick question. Do we have a mandatory drug test when we process in? I know it is different for every department, and I'm going to be working at hotel breakers, so I don't know how they handle it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Some departments require a drug test while processing in (ride host, life guards, if you drive a company vehicle, etc). Other departments don't require a drug test while processing in. However, all departments and employees are subject to random drug testing, which can occur at any time of your employment. My first year, I did tear down for merch. My first drug test came after the park closed for the season.

The best way to handle this is to not do drugs.

ROUNDABOUND.

TimFlowers, I just noticed your screen name. Are you related to Casey Flowers who will be working on the Blue Streak? Just curious.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service