Cedar Point new security checkpoint

Last Monday, while staying at Breakers, the line for the Windseeker entrance was past the pools- at 9:15. I walked over to the Soak City entrance, the line was just about dozen or so people.

The line to get in the soak city entrance a couple weeks ago was quite lengthy at 8:45AM. (Weekday morning, early June even!)There were security guards, and the line snaked down past Challenge golf, clear down to Breakers. We just sat on a bench until it cleared.

Last edited by Chris49,

I waited about 20 minutes in line to get into Soak City this past weekend while they wanded everyone, including the women in two-piece bikinis that don't have much room for AR-15s or IEDs. The workers went far enough to unfold my towels on the table - then hand them back to me in a big ball. They weren't tenable employees or CP Police they were just regular admissions staff with wands. When I left around 4 or 5 they were gone - even though the waterpark was open until 7. If they're committed to this they might as well just stay until the waterpark is closed, otherwise what's the point? Even if they stay at every gate during park hours... there's still a parking lot full of guests and several hotel properties that are equally susceptible to whatever safety issue they are afraid of. No matter how much wanding they do at the park now, I can't see how it's going to ever make anyone feel "safer" than being in public anywhere else.

-Tyler A-

Will they be wanding during early entry on Monday? Just curious as I saw on here that they were moving slow during early entry and I don't want to loose any time between 9 & 10.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Front gate security didn't take much time this morning for early entry but they were being so ridiculously thorough it felt like being at the airport. Despite frequent visits to the park this was the first time my friend had been through the check point and was wondering afterwards whether or not her daughter's implanted medical device is going to set the wands off. If it does that's going to be a pain in the rear.

Wanded my 8 year old son on Thursday. He was in shorts and t-shirt. The fact that they have non security staff using the wands and looking in bags is very unimpressive.

I don't mind security but the staff seemed to have little to no security training or experience.

I have to agree with previous poster, bgiese. These check points seem to be(still) random with locations & times off operation, let alone consistency of staff. 6/10 on an overnight stay @ Hotel Breakers- we didn't encounter any security check points either day. 6/25 day visit, encountered 'it' at front gate & Windseeker resort gate. Some personnel didn't even move 'the wand' away from their hip, other half barely made an effort. the employees were CP staff, including games employees in their stripped shirts and sweeps(yellow & orange). None of the staff was thorough or consistent about their assignment. I was asked the first time, in morning, front gate, to empty ALL my pockets, which I did! It was quite funny after I had emptied all the feminine hygiene products out and they had to move them into a basket....lol. These handy cargo shorts hold alot! Thankfully, yesterday, we got to park early enough to deal with this and not lose out on early entry time. But for the average guest, this might become an issue, not knowing extra time will be needed. If CP continues this, it should be consistent, professional & stated @ time of ticket purchase whether on-line or at a mass retailer.

Keep passing the fun along!

If they are going to keep doing it, they should have a non-bonded officer checking bags and a bonded officer doing the wanding. Then have a couple of bonded officers on stand-by like Kings Island does. Just my opinion, but this might help improve this matter if done this way.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

Yesterday they had regular employees doing some of the wanding. The wand used for my husband didn't work it totally missed a big, metal belt buckle while my son's friend kept setting one off with the rivet of her jeans pocket. The girl who wanded me seemed to speak limited English which doesn't bother me but would pose a problem for her if she actually found something and had to confront a guest. When I went back out of the front gates to meet friends that I was buying tickets for they stood in line for some time to get through the checkpoint. Apparently whoever wanded my son's friend's mother was pretty zealous with their job she said she felt almost violated personal space-wise by the guy wanding her. Since I was up front I considered going back to the car for my sunglasses because the sun was bothering me but after seeing the line I would have to go through to get back in the park I decided to squint until lunch when we got to go through the check point all over again.

Didn't encounter any security at the beach or magnum gates today while we were in and out of the park.

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

The security seems to be done on and off at random. Also, are they using people who normally run the games to do it (the ones dressed like Foot Locker employees)?

Last time I encountered security it seemed like they were using whoever happened to be available. My last two visits were wand free.

I do recall one of the wand-people muttering to himself how much he hates wanding. I'm not sure that I trust them to actually throughly check people through like at an airport checkpoint.

Last edited by homerj281,

^ even an airport has only about a 2% success rate of finding dangerous items

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

The whole "vibe" I got from the checkpoint process at Cedar Point was that everybody involved knows that the search process is useless, meaningless, ineffective and literally nothing but show...and not a very good show at that. And on my last visit, they didn't even bother.

If they want to make people feel better, maybe they should take that A-frame sign about the bag searches and me_al detectors and replace it with a sign indicating that they take security seriously, they have a sworn police department on duty in the park patrolling with uniformed and plainclothes officers, and that their safety and security protocols do not require molesting most customers at the entry gate.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Well spoken, Dave. Last weekend I was at soak city in the afternoon and they had two clueless J-visas there wearing yellow t shirts trying to wand people. One took a tentative step in my direction so I simply sidestepped them and quietly and firmly advised them "No." as one might address an overenthusiastic puppy. Both of them looked embarrassed and giggled. The male considered arguing with me in some language other than English, but one meaningful glare shot that down. The pass checkers at the gate seemed to think the whole exchange was funny and were laughing along. I can't ride the Raptor, but there is fun to be had at Cedar Point if you are built like a defensive tackle...

'

"Forgiveness is almost always easier to obtain than permission."

And apparently there's fun in holding disdain for people from other countries whose language differs from yours.
Not so well spoken.

Last edited by RCMAC,

Not sure if it wI'll be at all gates but they are wanding and checking bags at the Beach Gate for sure this morning.

Last edited by diggerg56,

I don't have any disdain for non native English speakers but when you station an employee at a security checkpoint it should be someone who has a good enough command of the English language to interact with confrontational guests. It should also not be an exceptionally timid person either.

I'm sure you don't, and those are valid points put in such a way that that leads me to believe you don't address humans as if they were puppies in need of training.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service