BBQ and Brew 2016

Yesterday and today had awesome weather. The BBQ was OK (from my perspective). . The selection of brew was awesome. Today there was a line to buy tickets in the park. A lot of potential customers asking questions about participating. Overall it was a success to draw attention for the event. I do agree the location would d be better suited suited for the Lakeside Pavilion.

Except that the Lakeside Pavilion isn't going to get nearly the same amount of walk by traffic.

A couple ticket booths and signs around the park can not even come close to the attention grabbing effect of having beer and food sitting on the midway.

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Just walked into the Brew and BBQ and wondering if anyone could suggest their favorite food out of the 4 tents? Thanks

Frito Joe

Personally, I don't like Carolina BBQ (too much vinegar), but that's really the only one I would not be interested in at all.

-Matt

We are sitting here at the Brew and BBQ and the Texas BBQ has some great options as well as the Kansas City BBQ. I have really enjoyed the evening here. We got here about 4:30 and have been just making the rounds. A very enjoyable event and I like it here in Frontiertown. The perfect weather today helps too.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Frito Joe said:

Just walked into the Brew and BBQ and wondering if anyone could suggest their favorite food out of the 4 tents? Thanks

Wait, there's food? ;-)

Well yes, that would be the 'and BBQ' part. XP

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Had a blast at those event. The Carnitas nachos was the best dish we tried (and a one ticket sample was huge)!

Theme Park G said:

I was told that my left over tickets could carry over for the rest of the events duration so I will be going back on Friday to give it a second go around.

Well I had asked if I could use my tickets on s other day as my girlfriend and I couldn't use ours fast enough because we kept having to go for cover from the rain on Saturday June 3. I was told that they change the color of the tickets daily to prevent people from doing just that. I'm not a drinker but I love BBQ. My GF drinks, but she had a hard time choosing which beers to sample. The rain this weekend definitely put a damper on the BBQ event though.

We tried out the event on Friday during CoasterMania. Perfect weather and decent crowds. The nachos were huge for a 1 ticket portion. I personally liked the brisket the best, but the dry rub ribs were also very good, although the portion for those was very small. We all pooled tickets and also tried both of the sliders, and although the weren't bad, we all agreed we wouldn't have gotten them after trying all of the other choices.

As far as beer goes, they ran out of all of the blueberry beers very quickly. There were also a few others listed that the vendors said they never had to begin with and wouldn't be available at all, ever, during the remainder of the event because they were limited releases and the supply was long gone. The choices all around were OK though. The brew kettle stand got hammered. They were out of most of their beers by 6. I don't know if they ever got more. The guy over there let us use our Valravn beer tickets to try other beers, which was very awesome of him.

Definitely worth 20 bucks if you buy tickets in advance or have a pass.

Please tell me someone here enjoyed that batch of Black Rajah as much as I did.

Also the Valravn IPA isn't bad, theres way better IPAs from Brew Kettle, but it's tolerable. Chillwave on the other hand is back to it's 2014 glory I feel, but I was already nicely buzzed by that point after two White Rajahs :P

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I enjoyed BBQ and Brew so much I did it both Thursday and Friday. I bought a season passholder discounted ticket online for Thursday and liked it so much I went back Friday. The early entry for Platinum Passholders was really convenient, especially Friday. I went in for awhile, then went to the Coastermania Q and A session and then went back in to try some more samples after that was over.

I preffered the brisket and the dry rub ribs the most. I thought the portions were decent. Not a big IPA guy but I didn't mind the Valravn at all. Tried to not mix too many combinations of things and did just fine.

They seemed to have a pretty good walk-up crowd buying tickets on Thursday...I didn't pay much attention Friday. They weren't out of anything that I wanted to sample but I did hear that was a problem later. I was a bit surprised that some of the breweries didn't have actual reps there to talk about their products but the ones that were there were great.

Overall it was a good value for the $20, especially compared to similar events I've been to elsewhere.

I did try the Black Rajah....Not necessarily my thing but I enjoyed it. Didn't try the white.

Black Rajah is an acquired taste for IPAs, it's kind of a mix between an IPA almost entering Porter territory in a way due to the maltiness.

White is a fantastic IPA however, the hops have a great taste to em, and just enough bitterness.

Sollybeast said:

Well yes, that would be the 'and BBQ' part. XP

That's the joke. I used all my tickets on beer samples.

Jason Hammond said:

Except that the Lakeside Pavilion isn't going to get nearly the same amount of walk by traffic.

A couple ticket booths and signs around the park can not even come close to the attention grabbing effect of having beer and food sitting on the midway.

While I agree with you about that, it still can't be very profitable to issue lots of refunds for inclement weather to the folks that aren't passholders, or who live further away and won't be able to make it back for another night to use their tickets.

Perhaps they will move the event to later in the summer when the weather is a little more stable.

It's only it's second year, so I assume, the park is still figuring it out.

I think they probably have it early to drive attendance during the slower spring time. And, later in the summer, they have Cedar Point Nights to get people to stay longer. They won't have the events running simultaneously.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I also kinda like it early in the year more than mid summer anyways. Drinking 5 full higher ABV beers on a hot 90+ degree day isn't a great idea lol. On a 60-70 degree afternoon it's not entirely too bad. Plus imagine a packed July park with that event going on in the middle of a midway to a very popular ride. It's not the best suited idea I'd think. Regardless of when they do it, after attending this year I'm a solid fan and can't wait to see what happens with it year after year.

Marcie916 said:

it still can't be very profitable to issue lots of refunds for inclement weather to the folks that aren't passholders, or who live further away and won't be able to make it back for another night to use their tickets.

Weather isn't a factor I had considered. However, the park doesn't generally issue refunds for inclement weather. This past weekend was an exception to the rule, due to extreme circumstances. Additionally, the tickets are a different color every day and wouldn't be able to be reused. Plus, they issue a wristband to people over 21. So unless you plan to wear the wristband until your next visit, you wouldn't be able to get another on without paying again. That's even assuming the wristbands don't change color from day to day as well.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Wristbands changed color too. We went Thurs and Fri also. The nachos were great and I now have a new favorite beer because of it! I really liked having it where it was. The kiddo could go back and forth between the arcade, antique cars, and hanging with us eating/drinking a soda!

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service