Haunted House Special Events Throughout the Regular Season?

One thing I've noticed over the years is that many roller coaster / park enthusiasts are also very much into haunts. It makes sense to me, as both these hobbies are adrenaline-inducing and involve stepping into a fantasy world.

I know several of us here, myself included, have wanted to see the park open one or more haunts outside of the Halloweekends season since they were first introduced. Now that most of the haunts in the park are permanent structures that are left up year round, it has almost seemed like a missed opportunity.

Now I'm not saying leave them all open year round for everyone. I realize that could take away from Halloweekends, which is a very important season for the park that gives guests a reason to return. And before I see the quick responses about staffing, training, make-up, and other logistics not working, understand what I'm suggesting.

A growing number of stand-alone haunted houses all over the country are opening for special nights, like Friday the 13th. Many of them are doing all-lights-out versions that make them different from the usual Halloween season. With all lights out, there is much less preparation required for make-up, costumes, and such.

So, it could be as simple as Cedar Point opening one select house during special passholder ERT events throughout the season with all lights out, using existing park staff. Or what about a special haunted house and coaster event in the spring or summer that is for charity, an up-charge, coaster club members, or a perk for being a Platinum Pass holder?

Oh, and by the way...Kings Island recently announced they're opening their Blackout haunted house in May for Friday the 13th. :) Yes, this is why I brought this topic up. I think this will be a hit, and I'd love to see CP follow or expand on the idea.

Last edited by Ffej,

Last year during 4th of July Cedar Point opened Zombie High, pretty sure it was just for employees but may have been to any general public still in the park also.

Having a small staff of Screamsters who can work more than one house during the summer is not a terrible idea. They could pick a few special dates (like 4th of July, Friday the 13th, ect) and open a different house every-time. I know a lot of Screamsters are collage age, and going to school somewhat local (an hour or less away) also I know quite a few who live in Sandusky or surrounding cities year round that could make a trip out for 3 or 4 weekends during the summer. And there are a few makeup artists who work in Planning and Design year round.

Mostly it's a matter of money (as always) as you have to pay all these people, and probably overtime for some of them. And also logistics, some of the houses are used as storage in the off season so they would have to figure out where to put those items (why Zombie High was used last year since they only thing stored there is the front facade of the house) but it could be done and would be great advertising for Halloweekends!

Morté aka Matt, Ego sum nex
Dragon's Fire Design: http://www.dragonsfiredesign.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake

What about once per week, "Friday Night Frights"? With a rotating schedule of which houses are used.

I think that would take away from the Halloween season. It wouldn't be as special anymore if you can get access to the haunted houses at any time of the season. Might even reduce repeat visits among people that come once in the summer and then come again for Halloweekends.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Pete-
Or it might make the once-a-year visitor want to come back for HalloWeekends to check out the entire park decked out for Halloween... But that one night only haunted house would have to bring their A-game. It couldn't be like HalloWeekends where they don't seem to really hit their stride until the 3rd weekend or so.

ROUNDABOUND.

I attended Halloweekends 3 times last season and was unimpressed with it in 2015. Mostly I felt the Haunts had grown so numerous that the park was having trouble staffing them and there just wasn't enough Screamsters to be effective. While I don't think having 1 or 2 Haunts open on select days throughout the season would hurt Halloweekend attendance, I would worry about it diluting the experience during October even more.

However, another thought would be if they only open 1 or 2 Haunts on select weekends, but choose the busiest weekends such as July 4th, it could also help thin the lines out at some rides by offering a couple extra attractions, even giving the park a temporary but much needed "dark" attraction.

But if they can't be done properly and staffed correctly I wouldn't bother. I really hated walking through some houses last season such as Hex and only seeing about 5 screamsters the entire time. Pretty boring.

Agree with Pete. It would needlessly dilute the value of the Halloweekends "brand".

And what would the benefit be? There are many other ways to get guests in the park, and to get those guests to spend more money, as the park/chain has been demonstrating every year. And haunted houses aren't exactly "family friendly", a genre the park needs to focus on.

And why should they incur additional expense for ERT for pass holders? They already do a heck of a lot for pass holders, who are already getting an incredible value in the pass itself.

Brandon

I would much rather see a permanent, family-friendly dark ride that incorporates a spooky (but fun) vibe to it.

I could be way off, but the haunts seem to be targeted at a very specific demographic, and I would assume they attract this demographic; specifically tween to young adults.

I just don't see a correlation at all to park and roller-coaster enthusiasts and haunts. In that aforementioned age demographic? Absolutely. But in a broad sense? No.

I enjoy going to Halloweekends for the overall atmosphere, park decor, and...well...just the awesomeness of enjoying the park with increased dark-time and the fall weather. And I like the fact that all the haunts suck up a lot of guests making ride lines somewhat shorter.

The point? Haunts should stay in the haunting season. This would cost money, and from my perspective the park has more "critical" places to invest with regards to attractions.

Haunted Houses can be fun, for sure, but in July? I'm just not feeling it.

Promoter of fog.

^This is pretty much my thoughts on this after having been heavily involved in Halloweekends for over 11 years. I get that you may be able to use it as a marketing ploy to advertise what is done later in the year but that can be easily done with other means. You can give guests an idea of what its like to be in a haunted house without needing all of the support a house needs.

If they were available, I'd much rather see the funds be used for some more street performers than going to support a year round or busy day haunted house. A few more people roaming the the Frontier Trail and Frontier Town in character would be nice to see.

The Haunted Houses really do not appeal much to us at all, Halloweekends is a great time to be at the park but for the overall atmosphere as previously mentioned.

I agree with Kevin. If a spooky dark ride was built, I wouldn't see the need to staff the Haunts year round. I love Halloweekends, but I think if some haunts were open year round, it would lessen my excitement for the actual season.

The park has enough upcharge attractions, events, etc. please no more.

But I agree with anyone saying the haunts need to be only during Halloweekends, yes it would dilute the Halloween fun. I would love to see a new fun house, like upsidedown fun house (like the park used to have) or house of mirrors at the park. I still think those are fun and it's a perfect thing to walk through after lunch or to take a needed break from the sun and rides. For free, of course, and anyone can use them, single day ticketers and passholders. More fun houses with random themes and actors!

I agree with Ffej. Quite honestly, I'm on board with a separate gate for Halloweekends (with an upgraded season pass option, of course) too.

Well I agree with Kevin.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevinj said:

Well I agree with Kevin.

Well I agree with myself many times too ha-ha, that comment gave me a good laugh! What I think about this situation is that Cedar Point should only do these type of extra events during Halloweekends time! First of all I think during the HALLOWEEKENDS time of the year every Friday all coaster club members should get access every Friday to a tour of one of the indoor or outdoor haunts, switch it around every week. Have Blood On The Bayou one week and then Erie Estate, yadda yadda you get the point. Cedar Point can then schedule which haunt will be toured that week! The tour time would fit perfectly at 6:30PM ET to 7PM ET because the lines would start getting longer! Let me know what you think people.

Maverick - "The West Was Never This Wild"

Just got back from a Kings Island / Carowinds trip. First off, despite the title and me emphasizing that I was not suggesting the park open the haunts year round and take away from Halloweekends, it seems that is mostly where the thread went. But, it was nice to see some replies more along the lines I was suggesting, like Morte615's (by the way, very cool that Zombie High opened on July 4th, even if just for employees).

One thing I've noticed during the Ouimet era is more special events throughout the whole chain, and I think they're an excellent way to get customers to return to the park (and attract some new ones). Events like Winter Chillout, Brew & BBQ, Coastermania, and Coaster Campout have noticeably increased my visits to CP in a season, and I've spent more money in the park than ever. Judging by these events selling out, I'm not the only one interested, and they don't have to appeal to everyone. Having done the same rides and activities so many times over the years at CP, it's refreshing to get to experience the park in a different way with special events.

Seeing Kings Island's Haunted Night Rides event on May, Friday the 13th with a haunted house open sounds like a great idea to me! They're making it more of a minor event for pass holders, but there is so much potential there for a fun, themed event, should the idea expand to other parks in the future. I have a vision of a few haunted houses open (presented in a new, unique way like all-lights-out with a flashlight) and select all-lights-out coaster rides. Then, how about some classic horror movies on a beach screen with s'mores and drinks for those staying at Hotel Breakers for the event? $$$ Take my money, and I'll certainly be back several months later for Halloweekends.

Last edited by Ffej,

$$$ take my money?

Seriously, people on here make me laugh. The park is already taking your money with the many extra events and admission/passes for everything. it's as if you want to just keep shelling out more and more money to the park. why would you be asking them to upcharge extra events??? I know Tony comes on here sometimes, and I bet other execs do to. seriously..... don't give them ideas.

I think the park already has movies on the beach. I remember reading a list showing movies like Frozen and such. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But really, the more free events as well as events that are perks for platinum passholders, the better. I bought a plat. pass and want to use as benefits as much as I can this year. my friends agree as well.

Last edited by Miss_Maverick07,

If you asked me, opening Blood on the Bayou one day in the summer would actually make sense. I mean, weekends at Cedar Point can be at times oppressively hot and humid so that sort of environment would fit Blood on the Bayou perfectly even if it were just one day in June or July.

Those mosquitoes in July could be an added monster attraction on the Bayou!!

Not to mention the blackbirds! They nest along the trail and just getting to the break area is a hazard! During most of the year I would gladly use it as a cut through but during the high point of summer after they nested I avoided going through there.

Morté aka Matt, Ego sum nex
Dragon's Fire Design: http://www.dragonsfiredesign.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service