Cedar Point Sports Complex

Cedar Point announced the groundbreaking of a massive sports complex due for completion in the Fall of 2016! Here's the article courtesy of 10TV News out of Columbus.

What a great opportunity for young athletes!

Phase two look pretty cool also. Didn't know about this before, but it looks like it will have some great public access with the bike trails, etc.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

It looks like it is possibly going on the plot of land that used to be the Sandusky Airport. I noticed the building was gone the last time I drove through. Interesting choice on Cedar Point's end, building something that seems out of their realm of amusement parks.

2014- Platinum Passholder
2015- Ride Host - Millennium Force
2016- Platinum Passholder(Honorary Dinos Crew Member)
2017- Guest Services Associate
2018/2019- Platinum Passholder

Well that solves the problem for the people upset about challenge park leaving. This looks incredible! I sure hope they put the go karts there.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

CiciGrace said:

Interesting choice on Cedar Point's end, building something that seems out of their realm of amusement parks.

Its a great business decision by Cedar Point/Cedar Fair to invest in this project. Think of the thousands of families that will be coming to play in tournaments a year. You know a large percentage of those will be going to Cedar Point and staying on resort properties, particularly Castaway Bay and Breakers Express.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Has any websites posted pictures of what that area looks like lately?

There is really nothing to see yet. All of the buildings, runways and taxiways have been removed, so it looks like a big field with some flags here and there.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

What DSShives said. Clearly part of the appeal for the company is the thousands of families going to the complex who will need a place to stay, and while they're in the area, why not a day at Cedar Point....

Kudos to Cedar Fair for developing a Cedar Point-scaled version of WDW's ESPN Wide World of Sports.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

CoasterKyle1121 said:

Well that solves the problem for the people upset about challenge park leaving.

No, it doesn't, because this complex is 4+ miles from the park. Not exactly easy to swing by for some putt putt as you walk back to your room at Breakers.

Brandon

Shawn Meyer said:

Has any websites posted pictures of what that area looks like lately?

Here's a video. Not sure when it was recorded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Umgun7OCoU

Trying to get a feel for where abouts this is... Is this former airfield the spot that CP is clearly visible from Cleveland Rd when heading west from Rye Beach Rd? It would be really neat to have CP's skyline across the water as the backdrop for the sports complex...

ROUNDABOUND.

Yes, it's going to be built on the former Griffing Sandusky Airport.

Haha I got that part... I'm trying to place where exactly GSA is on Cleveland Rd. From the Google map I can see its between Rye Beach Rd and Bayshore KOA campground. Along that stretch of road there is one spot where there is a clear view of CP from the road. I'm wondering if that clearing is the former airport.

ROUNDABOUND.

Yes, that is the area.

Yesterday they fenced it all in. The job trailer arrived on Monday. I go past there everyday. Go carts are not part of the plan but a putt putt coarse has been talked about,

Ride-on

Thanks kylepark.

ROUNDABOUND.

That would be cool If they add a Go-cart track there since the days of having go-cart track at an amusement park are gone. It's sad in a way, but I guess If you want to go go-cart racing, you go to places like Swings-n-things.

It's so crazy to me that go-carts are on their way out of amusement parks. I find them to be fun. Yet here we are with 2 car rides inside the park ;)

If the airport closed 10-15 years earlier, this would've been the perfect area to develop another CP resort and relocate the miniature golf, go carts, and the rest of Challange Park here. Maybe have a ferry boat shuttle to the CP Marina for hotel guests similar to Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake at WDW.

I wonder if that's something they could consider down the road (ferry service to the park).

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service