Any issues for a big guy and the rides at Cedar Point?

Traveling to Cedar Point in June. 15 years ago, riding the rides wasn't an issue... However, currently, I'm 5'10" about 300# 56" chest and 44" waist. Wide shoulders but no hidin' the fact I got a gut. Is the day going to be a bust for me? should I stay home or plan on riding the bumper cars all day? Would rather not spend the $$ to watch everyone else ride all the rides.

Thanks for the feedback

I'll echo what I said at CoasterBuzz so you have it here as well:

The Intamin Rides (MIllennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister) will probably give you trouble, except Maverick, which is more accommodating for larger guests. Don't even count on WT. I'm a 38 waist and can barely fit, although I have lost some weight and can now fit better. The B&M Rides (Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Raptor) have seats for larger guests, I think they are usually in the 4th row. And Valravn was confirmed to have such seats as well.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

It shouldn't be a total bust. I've seen some pretty large people squeeze themselves into some of the rides.

You have 4 - 5 months before your trip, and one could see this as motivation to drop some pounds and change your body. Sometimes the difference between riding the ride and "taking the walk" is a matter of inches, and sometimes a matter of centimeters, so every bit of change could be significant.

Be like this girl.

Or, roll the dice.

Promoter of fog.

I'm 5'11" and wear size 38 pants. I'd have to echo what Thabto said above. There are specific seats on Rougarou and Gatekeeper (B&M rides) for larger people, but even at a size 38, I almost didn't fit in Wicked Twister last season (the ride OP gave the harness a good push to get it to register as closed, props to him). I didn't realize raptor had the special large seats.

The seat belts on top thrill dragster and millennium force usually have very little slack left for me, but I would venture to take a guess that you might be able to shoehorn yourself into maverick since it has a different restraint system.

I would very strongly suggest you try to drop some weight, as I've seen many people who were maybe just a tad bigger than me have to take the walk from just about everything in the park at some point.

Also, nice article Kevin...

Last edited by K.R.,

You can try what Peter Griffin did, but I wouldn't recommend it:

Brian

I don't believe Raptor has the large seats, only Gatekeeper and Rougarou

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Don't bother with Wicked Twister, or Millenium Force. The B&Ms shouldn't be an issue. Even without using the big person seats, you may fit. I run 5' 11", 270#, and a 40-ish waist. Raptor is a bit snug in the shoulders, but I manage to get it fastened. Same with Corkscrew. Mine Ride, if you choose to ride, go for the front row of any car, cross your legs, and sit on the right side.

At 6'1" 215# waist size 34, I've had more of a problem with my shoulders feeling cramped on the 1st gen B&M restraints, it's not unrideable, just a bit uncomfortable. I also find it hard to fit into Mine Ride. Corkscrew is just too cramped for me to enjoy, as it isn't enjoyable for anyone over like 5' 8". Wicked Twister hasn't been a problem for me, though.

Last edited by Go Intamin,

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

I can fit into pretty much everything, and I'm not a supermodel with stick legs by any stretch of the imagination. BUT, last year I realized I'm probably done with Mine Ride unless I can get some meat off my thighs. Those bars are unforgiving and will crush the everloving heckie out of your legs, making for a miserable ride.

Then again, I was riding in the very back... are other seats a bit less punishing with the lap bar?

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

It helps to cross your legs.
The ride hosts will help you.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Sollybeast, as a frequent rider of Mine Ride I can't tell you how often I have seen larger individuals struggle with the lap bars in the back seat of each car. Always attempt to line up in the front seat of any of the cars, the lap bars do not come down as far as the second seats, and the third seats are progressively worse. I have been waiting on the platform and can look and know that a certain person will not be able to lock down the bar, but I would never speak up on it so as not to draw extra attention to someone. You can tell that the Ride Crew notices it also and will never say anything in advance, just after seating they will tell riders to cross their legs at ankles for extra room.

Just as a side comment, last years Mine Ride crew was outstanding. They were hard working as I witnessed them hustling to unload the weight bags from cars & they were kind & entertaining to guests. They warned riders about the two exciting 4' drops & 45 mph speed.

Duly noted. Thanks, guys. :)

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

I dropped over 30 pounds in 3 months and have been keeping it off. I went from 207, Labor Day weekend down to 176 by December 10th...If you want to be able to ride everything, it is possible. It just depends on how dedicated you want to be.

You have FOUR full months before your trip, do something about it. Seriously, you can drop a lot of weight and feel better about yourself in the process if you really wanted to.

I am 6' 2" and was 310 pounds. Couldn't ride much of anything other then Magnum and Gemini.

Started a diet in February. Each time I went, more and more rides were available.

By the end of the season, they only thing I couldn't ride was Wicked Twister....that had to wait for the next year.

It can be done. Seems silly to use Cedar Point as an incentive when there are so many other reasons to lose weight....but it worked for me. I actually run the Cedar Point 5k now. Would have never predicted that.

Good luck.

Roller coasters gave me some motivation to manage my weight. I used to be about 20 pounds heavier. I never had issues fitting in rides, except WT, but if I gained any more weight I would. And walking around the park helps with that as well. I walk probably around 5 miles each time I'm there. And I started going to my local metro park to walk. I was walking 4 miles a day before the weather turned cold.

Brian

I lost about 25 pounds with www.loseit.com last year and have managed to keep it off.

No special diet. No gym membership. The Lose It app and website is totally free and easy to follow. You simply provide your age, weight and height; tell the program how quickly you want to lose weight and it gives you a target calorie count for each day.

The idea is simple. Take in fewer calories a day to slowly lose weight. You can eat what you want but you have to track your meals and snacks. I can still eat and drink what I want each day but I've learned to shrink my portions slightly; drink more water and opt for healthier snacks sometimes. I don't hit the goal every day. But that's OK. As long as I'm staying within my target calories most of the time the program works.

The program will also reward you with extra calories if you log your exercise. I try and walk 10,000 steps every day and that also has helped a lot.

I dropped 10 pounds at the end of the summer finally for the first time my weight went down in years but by November it was all back. I wan't skinny but my weight was consistent for years and then I had this screwy health issue come up with tons of medication and lack of activity and it all piled on so fast but it sure isn't coming off that way.

I will echo bgiese. In 2010, I cut down on my portions and walked a lot more. I still shoot for 15,000 steps a day. And I still log/track everything I eat. Writing it down (with a calorie count) really makes you think about what you are eating and whether it is worth it. I lost 125 lbs in 11 months. I have put some back on and need to lose about 10 pounds. If you are like me, it can seem hopeless at times. But if I could do it, you can too. Don't get discouraged.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service