Working at Cedar Point

I want to work at Cedar Point for the summer and I have a couple of questions.
1. Can I request to have every Sunday off or give the dates on which Sunday's I need off for the next 4-6 months it's for Church? Then when I get scheduled for the next 4-6 months again is to give them the dates of the Sunday's I need off?
2. What rides are fast paced and slow paced?
3. Is it better to work a fast paced ride or a slow paced ride?
4. Do you work a flat ride by yourself like Cedar Downs,Ocean Motion,or Lake Erie Eagles?
5. Is it better to work by yourself on a ride or with a crew your first year? I like to work by myself and on a crew.

2007-2008 WDW Train Conductor
2009 Ride Operator for the Worlds Tallest Skycoaster
2008-2010 WDW Attractions Hostess
2018- MA Ride Operator

1. I honestly don't know the answer for sure, your best bet for this one is asking a manager during your interview.

2. Generally the coasters are faster paced, while the flats are slower depending on it's size.

3. I worked a variety of paces this season (shoot the rapids, ripcord, skyscraper, maverick, rougarou, pipe scream, lake erie eagles, camp snoopy) and it's all a matter of preference. I found that I preferred the medium pace like maverick and ripcord.

4. It all depends on the ride. I know Lake Erie Eagles has two people, but I don't know for the rest. Small flats like in the childrens areas (planet snoopy, camp snoopy, kiddie kingdom) you work by yourself except for the coasters in camp snoopy. The pace there is as quick as you load and unload.

5. Again, this is all a matter of preference. I personally had more fun on rides where you work with other people than being alone

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Greetings and welcome to the point!

samosuband summed everything up pretty nicely.

I would like to add that management and ride leadership generally are pretty good about scheduling around church services so long as you communicate with them. It may not always be possible to get the entire Sunday off especially during the early and late part of the season. Instead you may be scheduled for an 11:30-close or 1:30-close shift. Like sam said, it is something to be discussed with management during the hiring process.

First year employees generally don't get much say in ride location. Your manager will assign you based on the availability on crews and how they think you will perform based on your application and interview. I worked Magnum primarily which is one of the fastest paced rides in the park and I loved it. I find that fast paced rides make the day go by fast. Regardless of your placement, each ride crew is unique and offers different experiences and challenges. The people you work with will become like family and you will make many unforgettable memories with them.

Good luck to you and I hope to see you in 2016!

3 Years of Fun!
Professional button presser.
Wearer of lime green and blue.

I am from MI and the problem is that I don't want to leave my parish since I am so involved in it. I know there are churches in OH. Can you take a trip back home to MI on your day off to see family and friends? I don't think it's worth taken a trip to MI just for one day.
Is it best to list the dates you need off on your application? I don't really need time off its just Sunday's.

2018- MA Ride Operator

Quick question here too! Does anyone know when I need to arrive? I am a student at Pitt Johnstown, and I often times do not get off until early in may and would prefer not to screw with the final exam schedule. Also, how about how early they will contact me? I noticed Cedar Point was hiring now for summer 2016...

Rollercoasterlover:

Last year I arranged with my manager to go home to NY 2 separate times for family events. Both times were for a few days and were established as part of my contract., This is the only way to get guaranteed time off and as we stated before is completely up to your manager to decide.

Jakinator: The majority of the seasonal staff are college students. Cedar point will look at your academic calendar and work with you to determine your start date. They run training classes all summer long. If they like what they see in your application, you will probably get a phone call sometime in the new year anytime from January to early April or possibly later depending on your managers

Last edited by GDUBS,

3 Years of Fun!
Professional button presser.
Wearer of lime green and blue.

^Yep. I was able to process in a few days after I was done with finals, then my full time ended a few days before I returned to school. Then since I go to school within reasonable distance (about a 2hr drive) I was able to work weekends until the end of the season. Managers are very understanding with school schedules

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

I actually have a "few" more questions:

1. (This one is completely serious)- Is Cedar Point friendly to people with mental disabilities? I have a mental disability, but I am very high functioning. (Also worth mentioning for when I have to drug test.) What sort of positions do these people typically hold
  2. What was the first position you held (or otherwise, positions that go to newcomers)?

3. Is Wifi existent in the dorms (planning on bringing my Xbox One or PS3, pretty certain I will be fine with my laptop.)?

4. What sort of rides do they operate on ride nights (and what nights do those typically occur on)?

5. How often do guests vomit (seriously. Is it exaggerated or an underestimated stereotype)?

6. (For Males specifically) Is stubble okay or do you need a full shave? I have a mustache that stays above upper lip and is only unshaven due to a small (nearly indistinguishable) pimple/mole that appeared underneath it.

7. How much sun lotion and water should I expect to bring? I do not feel like dealing with sunburn.

8. (Ride operators) Does your voice have to sound the most attractive (At most theme parks I have been to, ride operator voices have sounded fairly nice, mine is slurred when I am not directly addressing someone, but still clear)?

9. What is their penalty/reward system (I heard something about points)?

10. What time should you be up by? (Like showered and ready to get breakfast)

11. What time do you typically get back to your dorm by?

12. Are the dorms/environments bad for those with allergies (seasonal allergies)?

13. Why has Cedar Point still not given us a flying coaster (I understand, those things are not the cheapest coasters, but I love those machines!)?

14. Do you get any trips to other theme parks (I would hope for Kings Island and Dominion!)

15. Is it a depressing environment?

16. How many people smoke when off shift? (I personally do not smoke)

17. Which dorms should I choose if I still want a decent amount of spending money?

18. If I get a job, how early do I arrive (I guess like 2 weeks before season starts)? (Especially if I want dibs on good dormitory (or is this covered in application/skype interivew)).

19. Will you get into trouble for using the off-shift park access a lot? (I really like coasters and will ride pretty much everyday)

Thanks for answering!

1. I wouldn't imagine Cedar Fair not being able to accommodate for many of their positions. I personally have zero experience in this field with other employees even, I'll let someone answer it better
  2. Ride Operations for 2011, worked several rides within the park during my contract.
  3. Wifi does exist, it sucked while I was there, I've heard it's better, but don't expect stellar. I'd liken it to College Campus wifi. It also is firewall protected, so no random website movies, etc. Just a heads up.
  4. Usually one crew at a time gets a ride night, or a small area. For instance my crew at Corkscrew hosted one ride night with Power Tower right next door. Dragster may have been included or was on it's own, I can't remember.
  5. Alot. Get used to it. No way to beat around the bush. I covered a leadership position at Monster/Witches wheel, it was an everyday occurrence.
  6. I got away with not having it perfect everyday a few times, however I'd still suggest shaving everyday. Best to not have to get talked to regarding a fresh shave for work, we're both adults. However, some situations it's understandable, especially living in the crowded dorm environment. Some days I had zero time to shower and get a sink to shave before a shift.
  7. Depends on location. I worked a covered platform, but some rides and areas you can't avoid getting directly hit. Bring it to be safe, especially if you come in almost Albino white like I did. Water you don't need to bring, that is provided on site. Do bring a large water bottle. I brought up a 1 liter bottle and usually ended up going through one every hour or less during the season.
  8. Anyone can spiel, some people like it, some don't. Usually the mic is passed around all day or a certain position is dedicated to spieling. I never had issues with it, and usually enjoyed it as I got to interact with guests and also sped up my shift.
  9. Depends on what you want done. Do you want up and in the park early for breakfast, or do you want to sleep in, shower, and get to work at location 15 minutes early? Lets say I needed to be on location at 9:00 in the morning, I left the dorm at 08:25 at the latest to be there on point by 08:35 or so depending on traffic that day and include the walk from the lot to my ride location by 08:45-08:50. You'll learn how to time your shifts once you're there.
  10. Points is for disciplinary action. Essentially some things are a larger discrepancy than others. While I was there it was essentially a 3 strikes and you're out deal. That may have changed I'll let others elaborate a bit more.
  11. Depends on the shift. Sometimes we were able to close the ride very quick. There were times we had locks changed, ride units transferred off and paperwork done before the closing show that year even finished. If you have a queue of guests, well, you can't leave until you get your guests through the ride and closing procedures finished. Some locations expect late nights, some are out at reasonable times. Caffeine will be your friend though.
  12. Not really, I actually had worse allergy issues inside the park than I did with the dorms. Do bring whatever you take to manage it if you have those issues, my first week was miserable as I forgot it at home.
  13. The demand must not be there for it. Let them decide what comes in. They have giant teams and think tanks to determine how the park(s) are developed.
  14. Trips are offered to sister parks and even some other locations (Niagra Falls I think was offered too). Spots fill quick, and do cost a tad bit of money to pay for the bus/etc. Any time you need off needs coordinated through your leadership.
  15. Not whatsoever. Some people get homesick or burnt out from long hot days. I looked at it as a paid vacation, I rode a coaster every morning at a minimum and just kept people safe all day while eating junk food and still rocked an alright physique. Not a bad day if you ask me
  16. Not sure, I don't smoke either. I never saw it as a ig issue
  17. I prefer the 1400s. It was an all male dorm, and was kinda away from the main "campus" in a sense if you will. The dorms aren't much though, so whatever you get you're not missing much
  18. You'll coordinate with people online and try to find roomates before you arrive that season or if you arrive at the same time to in process. Most people come on a few days where they try to inprocess everyone, but depending on schedules you may get a random day
  19. No, there were times I'd work an early opening shift, and spend my afternoon in the park eating junk food, riding rides, and messing around. Just realize you'll probably not stay in the park alot post shift. I loved heading back to my dorm with AC and enjoying a glorious nap or two.

Last edited by thedevariouseffect,

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Thanks man! I seriously hope to work there!

Have fun, I may PM you if I find the post of suggested stuff I created a LONG time ago. It's a good bit of suggestions a bunch of us pooled together to create one off season prior to applications being posted.

thedevariouseffect did a good job answering, and I'm gonna expand where I can:

1. I can remember 2 people with mental disabilities that I directly worked with in ride operations, although I will not disclose anything further. Definitely don't be afraid to talk to a manager about it.

2. My first position was a ride host, specific rides I was trained on are listed above and in my signature.

3. Yes, wifi is existent in the dorms. I don't know how well it would serve for gaming though, as I only used it for social media.

5. I'm gonna say this really depends on the ride. I was at Shoot the Rapids all summer, and we didn't have any 'guest illnesses'

7. I went through many bottles of sunscreen. Sunscreen and water are your best friends.

10. I generally got up 1.5 hours before my shift, in that time I was able to shower, get to the park and get breakfast with plenty of extra time. Part of this time consideration was that I lived in Cedars.

11. Really depends on the ride. At Shoot the Rapids over the summer, I generally got back around 10:15-10:30 for a closing shift. During Halloweekends with midnight closings I would get back anywhere between 12:45-2:00 depending on what ride I was at.

15. Definitely not. Tiring, yes. Depressing, no.

16. I don't smoke myself, but I knew quite a few people that did.

17. Cedars are the cheapest dorms, but they don't have air conditioning unless you provide it yourself. I lived in Cedars for the majority of my contract, and with an air conditioner it wasn't bad at all. Sure the building is 110 years old, but its livable.

18. Your arrival time is all dependent on your availability. If you're in school, you'll most likely arrive within a week after you're done with school.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the application process!

Last edited by samosuband,

Thanks thedevariouseffect and samosuband for your answers! Any other ideas are really appreciated

When CP closes for the Summer. Can you still work for the company and still live in housing? Like work at Castaway Bay or Breakers Express? I know CF has an all year round park in CA.

2018- MA Ride Operator

I don't know the details of how the process goes, but you can work at Castaway Bay and still live in housing, but only the bayside apartments are open, so you'd have to move there. As far as Knott's Berry Farm goes, yes it's open year round but they do not offer employee housing.

Yes I know Knott's Berry Farm doesn't offer housing. A lot of the parks don't offer employee housing except for Cedar Point. I asked a manager after my interview back in 2013 with CP about working off season and he said yes but it would have to be the same division. I can transfer and then transfer back to the park. If I was in park operations in rides then I would have to do the water park at Castaway Bay since its in the same division.

2018- MA Ride Operator

Ah found my post, I'll just copy here considering it's recent and not several pages back in the Employee Lounge topic:

Here's my general tips I've basically repeated a few times. Some info may be dated a little bit, it's been a few years, but generally I think you'll get the gist of it:

Pack lightly, it's a summer job conisisting of a few months with little time off. No reason to move your whole life into a room the size of two queen beds put together end to end with two other people. Bring a few days worth of regular clothes, some going out clothes, maybe a few special things here and there. But generally..clothes, food, laptop, minor important things, you're good to go.

Bring snacks/drinks/etc. to last a bit before the first check & some comfort foods. After a long day in the park, everyone will order pizza/get McDonalds/etc. It's nice to have pop tarts or something to just scarf down after an Open-Close and just go to bed.

Drive if you have a car, bus can be late, always show up 10-15 early, plan your walk and commute accordingly to get to work on time. Don't be late and cause rotations/breaks to be off, plus you can get into a small bit of trouble, more trouble the more you do it.

Take trips, enjoy time off. Sleep when you can and when you need to, but go out with the crews/departments/internationals. Learn some things, enjoy Put in Bay, take a trip to Marblehead, eat at Taco Fish, do all the stupid summer job vacation things. It's there, you don't want to be the one cooked up in a room and see/hear what everyones doing and look back with an "oh I should have done that"

Don't get involved with drama, and don't start it. Word travels fast at CP, even sometimes faster than in a High School. Say something about one person, they'll find out.

Find and develop friends, some may be lifelong.

Keep positive as much as possible. Sure some days weather will be ridiculously hot/humid, or downright cruddy, or seagulls ruin a freshly waxed car or clean uniform. Get over it, laugh it off, and keep the smile. People in that park pay big money to keep your paycheck and keep that park in the profit. They want to come here, spend money, and enjoy a vacation. Keep positive and upbeat, the effect is contagious.

If you want to make money and come home with as much as you can, Volunteer if you can at other rides, pick up hours or shifts, and help out people who need time off or need a small break. Don't overwork yourself, it's quite easy. But if someone needs to switch a day off, be curteous, most will easily repay the favor

Wear shower shoes, you have no clue how disgusting bathrooms can be, especially no offense, among civilians...military for sure changed me there, but still, those floors can get downright nasty. Get shower shoes, don't forget shower shoes, keep your shower shoes, and clean those shower shoes. You walk into the dorm with them, think what could be on the bottom of them if you walk on the floor barefoot on your day off...Can be quite..*squirm*

More questions or tips or whatever just ask. There's ex employees from quite awhile ago, to current lifer/gold tags here and watching. We all want to have fun and make another good year possible.

Last edited by thedevariouseffect,

thedevariouseffect said:

... eat at Taco Fish ...

It's not Taco Fish anymore, They removed the "fish" part.

Now it's "let me scratch my ass and fix the stuff that makes your food".

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Business/2015/09/22/No-secret-ingre...lease.html

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

When I worked there in 1999, I requested Sundays off and my request was honored. But that was 16 years ago...... I never worked a Sunday at the park.

Cedar Point, Americas rip- rockin', high flyin', sky defyin', record breakin' roller coast

^^Damn, that sucks...I used to love getting a Cheesy Gordita and a set of hush puppies.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service