Raptor gate injury

Noggin, you can say it's not, but that doesn't change the fact that it indeed is.

Hearsay: information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor

Circumstantial evidence: evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact

Last edited by Scottyf,

OK, so humor the class. How is this the park's fault?

Brandon

I never suggested that it was the park's fault. I merely suggested that without knowing all the facts, how can any accurate conclusion be drawn.

We can draw a conclusion from a myriad of facts to which the "victim" admitted to. It's not hearsay, the plaintiff came right out and pointed out why this is almost certainly his fault.

Brandon

You can, but I don't consider newspaper articles, Facebook posts and the like to be factual enough to draw a conclusion. Too much opportunity for interpretation, speculation and misquoting.

Look, let's be clear, I never was on this guy's side, nor the park's. All I saw was a guy with a messed up foot, and a whole lot of people pouncing on him. One way or another, the guy will get his day in court, as will CP, and then we'll all move on to speculate the hell out of something else.

So what do you consider to be factual enough?

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Direct (under oath) testimony by witnesses, video evidence, operational standards, safety records, blood (alcohol) tests, depositions by experts, etc. That kind of stuff.

Sounds like this entitled goon is simply trying to cash in on his own stupidity.

Scottyf said:

All I saw was a guy with a messed up foot, and a whole lot of people pouncing on him.

I feel bad that he's injured. But you're ignoring that he's threatening litigation right out of the gate (too soon?), even after the park offered to pay for his medical expenses. It's tough to feel sympathy for someone who's clearly just looking for a payday.

Brandon

djDaemon said:
It's tough to feel sympathy for someone who's clearly just looking for a payday.

Hey - that is the only reason I go to work everyday - I am looking for a payday. Granted it is in the form of a paycheck and not a lawsuit:)

A search through this dude's Facebook page would find that he previously had lawsuits about:

1.) Having his furnace explode and destroy an expensive piece of artwork.

2.) Getting beat up and called names at a Holiday Inn.

3.) Being injured by a tanning bed.

He's either VERY unlucky or is just out to create problems for people and try to make money off of it.

Last edited by MDOmnis,

-Matt

! said:

He says he didn't go through the gates as they were closing, but instead the gates closed on him as he was walking through.

Isn't that like six of one or half dozen of the other? I totally believe he is like those people trying to beat the train at the crossing gate. This time the train won. He is being a media whore and trying to profit from his own stupidity or arrogance, that is my gut feeling, no proof needed. As Matt pointed out, it seems to be a pattern with him.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Maybe he's using the profit to reopen Geauga Lake?!?? :)

But on a serious note, what I cant believe is that he's calling it an operator error. If he was standing where he said he was supposed to be standing, the operator in charge of the gates isn't expected to know that someone will attempt to squeeze through the gates and then place blame on the park. Stick with your group, or get ahold of a ride host and tell them to let you in the loading area. Simple as that.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I don't have sympathy for his injuries, but lacking common sense or even simply paying attention when you're next in line is no excuse.

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

Pete said:
that is my gut feeling, no proof needed

Case closed!

Wait, so his Facebook profile is public? That explains a lot.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

We live in a day and age where people get hurt by safety devices. Instead of not being a fool, everything has to be foolproof. Here's my take. The guy entered a contract with the park when he entered that he was liable for any personal injury or loss while at the park. They are not responsible for his neglect to abide by the safety controls in place. The gate is there to allow a safe dispatch of the train. As a guest at the park you are required to abide by all safety requirements. It's not just a park rule that was made up but a requirement by the Ohio Revised Code and is criminal to not follow park procedures as to the appropriate manner in which to conduct yourself as you ride a ride. Now I'm not going to do the research to tell you what chapter, but I know it's in there somewhere. But that's the truth. If the guy has been to the park as much as he claims. He is aware of this. His interpretation is that the gate closed on him. My interpretation is that he put himself between the closing gate and the rail. He would have to prove intent and/or negligence to win any case that goes to court. Since the gate closes at every dispatch it would be very hard to prove either. It's his responsibility to protect himself from harm by following simple instructions. And his failure to do so makes him negligent.

I myself think he hurt himself on purpose thinking he would be able to sue. That's just because that's my general feeling about people this day and age. Or at least their out there and you need to protect yourself from that. I can't believe that the guy is just this stupid. If all those young children can do it he should have been able to without getting hurt.

I've seen a child have the gate on the Gemini platform close on their arm and it clearly hurt, probably left a bruise. The family did not appear to speak much English and maybe they didn't understand the usual protocol if they've never been to amusement parks in general before. As soon as she sqealed the gates were reopened and the ride host checked on them to see if they wanted help. The mother simply calmed her daughter and they boarded the ride. I felt bad for the kid because she was young enough to not anticipate what was going to happen and in an unfamiliar situation. This guy though I have no clue how he could have done this without it being a major lapse of judgement at best on his part. As the wife of a paramedic I know there are some bizarre ways out there to get hurt but I'm baffled by this. Unless he tripped into the gate as it was closing I just can't picture any way he could have not contributed to the injury himself but he said nothing about tripping.

If I were somehow this guy I wouldn't want the world to know that I just got hurt on those gates. Obvious reasons.

This season - CP visits: 9 KI visits: 2 Total Rides: 217

I was just at the park and rode Raptor. Looking at the gates and pictures of his injury I dont see how in heck he managed to do it.

My best guess for how you would get "cut" on rounded gates is maybe there was enough pressure on the skin and tissue that when the leg was pulled through the tissue may have split or ripped from over stretching.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service