Raptor gate injury

^ Could it have been this?

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/man-spends-fake-cash-at-cedar-point

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Scottyf said:

In any event, every one of us has lapses in judgement, and have done a really stupid thing here and there, and I mean truly boneheaded.

True, but most people take responsibility for that lapse in judgement; they don't threaten to sue.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Yup, Thabto, that looks like the y I saw on the ground.

2016 Cedar Point visits 1
Lifetime TTD Rollbacks 0

noggin said:
True, but most people take responsibility for that lapse in judgement; they don't threaten to sue.

Maybe, but if it wasn't my lapse in judgement, but rather someone else's, I'd likely sue.

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Others have covered it, but he's not an ass because he wasn't paying attention. He's an ass because he's taking zero responsibility for his actions. He's local, been to the park countless times and by his own account has ridden Raptor thousands of times. And yet, when he managed to get his leg stuck in the gates, it's everyone else's fault but his own, and he's looking to cash in. So, time to invite the media into his hospital room.

Brandon

There a photos floating around Facebook of this guy double fisting beers at the park (on another visit, not this one, but that could have been the case this time too...) - and apparently, out at the bar that night after his injury. It apparently wasn't making his leg hurt and throb too much.

e x i t english said:

There a photos floating around Facebook of this guy double fisting beers at the park (on another visit, not this one, but that could have been the case this time too...) - and apparently, out at the bar that night after his injury. It apparently wasn't making his leg hurt and throb too much.

There's also his DUI and drug possession charges, in addition to another legal issue. So at least his attorney's number is probably already in his phone contacts.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

He says he didn't go through the gates as they were closing, but instead the gates closed on him as he was walking through. If this were true, then wouldn't the gates have closed on everybody else as they were entering through? The gates close after every rider is safely on the other side and the guests in line are asked to stand behind the yellow line.

I still think it's unfortunate that any guess would have to get stitches because of an amusement park mishap. It was nice of CP to offer medical bill payments. They didn't have to do that.

Scottyf said:

You seem convinced that he got his leg stuck in the gates, and by extension that he is being an ass for taking responsibility for something that may not be his fault. I'm curious as to how you reached that conclusion.

Are you suggesting someone from the park held his leg in place while the gates were closing?

Brandon

Have to agree with Brandon on this.

djDaemon said:

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Others have covered it, but he's not an ass because he wasn't paying attention. He's an ass because he's taking zero responsibility for his actions. He's local, been to the park countless times and by his own account has ridden Raptor thousands of times. And yet, when he managed to get his leg stuck in the gates, it's everyone else's fault but his own, and he's looking to cash in. So, time to invite the media into his hospital room.

You seem convinced that he got his leg stuck in the gate, and by extension that he is wrong in trying to recompense himself. I'm curious as to how you reached this conclusion.

Is that the only other option, that a park employee held his leg in place while the gates were closing?

Not that drinking beers at the park, or even double fisting them is a bad thing. Believe me, I've had my share of grown up fun while at CP, but I do it responsibly - and, not that it comes to this point, but should I take a tumble or so something stupid and get injured, that's on me.

Scottyf said:

Is that the only other option, that a park employee held his leg in place while the gates were closing?

I'm having trouble imagining any scenario where fault lies with the park. The key factor here is that this guy has ridden Raptor thousands of times, and those gates aren't exactly new.

Had this been some teenager on their first visit, sure, maybe it's a different story (though I'd still contend that it's a matter of personal responsibility).

Regardless, this guy has no case. As Josh pointed out, his injury can't be that bad, since he was out drinking that night. Hard to argue he was in that much pain and suffering that a trip to the bar was in order.

Brandon

I don't even think this case will make it to court. This guy is just being an attention whore and looking for a nice check.

Brian

I just don't see how you (and so many others) are able to close the case based only on circumstantial evidence and hearsay. Plus the anger, so much anger.

It's not that complicated. In fact, I think it takes far more mental acrobatics to suggest the park is at fault here.

Again - the gates aren't new. They close very slowly. He's seen them close thousands of times, not just on this ride, but on the other rides he's also ridden thousands of times. I've done a fraction of the amount of riding this guy has, and I've never been surprised when the gates closed.

And a large part of the reason he's an ass is that despite him doing something boneheaded, the park reached out in an effort to make things right by paying his medical bills. They didn't have to do that. Yet, it's not enough that the park makes sure he doesn't have to pay out of pocket. He sees an opportunity to threaten a lawsuit with the hopes of a settlement. That's just greed.

Brandon

I'm having a difficult time even coming up with a scenario where the park is at fault. Not saying the possibility doesn't exist, but those gates close slowly enough that you can get out of the way in enough time before you get stuck. The guy could've backed up and requested they re-open the gates if there were others in his party that got on that train and wanted to ride with them. Sounds like instead of backing up while they were closing, he proceeded to go through. And since there are reports that he was at the bar later that night, I would say his injuries weren't that severe. Sounds like attention whoring and entitlement.

Brian

Scottyf said:

I just don't see how you (and so many others) are able to close the case based only on circumstantial evidence and hearsay.

It's not circumstantial evidence and hearsay. It's plain, simple common sense. If he's as experienced as he claims, then how the gates function just can't be a surprise to him.

Adding projection of your own personal situation or ideals to the hearsay and circumstantial evidence doesn't make the case any stronger. Fact of the matter is, unless he can somehow prove CP was at fault and/or negligent, he won't get squat, so yeah, he's got the uphill battle here.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service