Rougareviews

They did indeed add mag-brakes to the end course brakes. That's part of why it's rather smooth now.

I have been on it 4x, once in the middle and 3x in the front. The head banging I used to experience on Mantis was in the sharp turns before both brake runs, and now for me this seems to be gone. However, now in the helix after the middle brakes I experienced some pretty bad head banging that no matter how I positioned my head, the coaster slammed back and forth and wacked me 4x. This never happened to me on Mantis in this area and it hurts real badly to the point of getting a head ache. Yesterday I gave it a try again, front middle seat and put my hands between my head and the restraints, got head bangs but at least this was a cushion. And it was just as bad middle front seat as it was on the outside. It was better when I was 3 rows back outside seat than in the front middle. My daughter said she road yesterday in the back and didn’t experience the bad head banging in the helix. I guess I will have to try the back and hopefully it will be ok. If not, I won't be riding this much for this reason, for me it hurt more than Mantis. Outside of that helix head banging, it is a good ride. I’m not sure if CP can do anything to fix this like adjust the speed or something after the mid break run. I’m not sure why it is happening on Rougarou and didn’t on Mantis, at least for me anyhow. I’m shorter (5’7”), so I can’t put my head out to avoid the whacks to the head. The only thing that will improve that head banging in the helix is Sponge Bob’s karate helmet I suppose. :-) I wish that they could have used the new GK restraints, but those seem wider and perhaps too wide for the Mantis layout.

Paul

True point about the width. You hope the person next to you on rougarou doesn't have cooties, because you will be rubbing your arm against theirs whether you like it or not.

Finally got on it last night... Waiting about 10mins for a front seat ride. I really enjoyed it! I liked Mantis although I didn't ride it too much, but I will for sure ride Rougarou a lot more. I love the layout! Very nice update to the ride.

I do wish there was a bit more "character" in terms of theme in the finale area... I was hoping for some fog or more lighting, at least. But all is good.

I'm 5'11" and my head was bashed into the restraint once. It was worse than anything that I experience on Maverick. I doubt I'll ride this again.

Is it my new favorite ride? No. However, I must say that it is very impressive. Mantis was not very comfortable and difficult to enjoy and being able to sit down with nothing but the track below was amazing, however I think the effect can only truly work in the front row. I only banged my head once but considering the fact that the ride is much more intense than Mantis, it is definitely a ride that I will plan to go on every time I am at the park now. My only complaint outside of the minor head banging is the stacking. It was bad yesterday and trains didn't seem to dispatch until the train before it came to a complete stop. What I was expecting to be a 20 minute wait was closer to 30-45 minutes.

I rode yesterday in the front (day) and back (night). The ride was much smoother seemingly faster. The Gs almost felt like the never really let up. You do have to hold your head during the second part of the ride but the added effects and overall ride experience are much better than Mantis ever was. Honestly though, I felt like Maverick was much more improved just with it's new restraints. I can tell from riding Rougarou that the vest system on GK would not fit on those trains. Hopefully though, they can install a better system as time goes on. You would think if you are a multi-million dollar company who could design world class roller coasters that you could design a simple and comfortable restraint system for said rides.

Rode it and found the same problem I had with Mantis still exists...head banging. I'm all for headbanging to music, but not on a ride, especially when leaving the ride with a throbbing headache. Have the same issue with Raptor as well.

My coaster hierarchy at Cedar Point: Magnum, Millennium, Mean Streak, Wicked Twister, Dragster, Blue Streak, Gemini, Raptor, Mantis, Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Mine Ride, Gatekeeper, Maverick (Disaster Transport and Wildcat would have gone before Gatekeeper and Maverick)

I rode it again today, and for some odd reason, I had zero head banging. Approx row 6 maybe? It might be your location on the train.

I experienced a ton of head banging in row 6.

Brandon

Because you had your earbuds in and were listening to Slayer?

I rode Rougarou for the first time yesterday, and waited the extra few minutes for the front row. Overall, I was underwhelmed, but to be honest, I was expecting that. The trains were comfortable enough, and the floorless effect was decent in the front row. I can also say without question that it is better than Mantis, and I would ride it again on my next visit if someone wanted to, but it's not something I would aim to ride on every visit on my own. It wasn't as forceful as I was expecting, and I did experience some headbanging in the second half despite bracing for it. I also just found it to be a boring layout (not that the layout is new). I also noticed that there were no sound effects or fog. Were those only in place for Media Day? My only other observation is that I was surprised to see that at park opening around 10 or so, it was still a walk-on. Millennium was a 30 minute wait, but Rougarou was sending out several empty rows. However, by later in the day it did have a longer line. I was surprised that it wasn't pulling bigger crowds, but perhaps the general public still has a lingering negative opinion of Mantis, and it's carrying over to Rougarou.

Bottom line, I think it was a good upgrade for the park to make, but it wasn't anything mind-blowing (again, pretty much what I expected.)

Side Note: I tried the Rougabrew at Breakers and I had pretty much the same reaction to it as I did the ride. Not terrible, but nothing memorable.

Last edited by Josh M.,

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I'm honored that after not posting here for a few years, you are the one to reply to me, and while your picture made me laugh, I don't recall me ever saying I hated anything... I said the ride was pretty much what I expected, not mind blowing, but it was a good upgrade for the park in general, and that the beer was nothing special...Some things never change around here (and I don't mean that in a rude way). I've always found your responses to be humorous.

I would just like to say that it seems you liked it well enough to strike a werewolf pose over there by the Rougarou sign...

I rode Rougarou for the first time last week, Over all, a nice improvement. HOWEVER, this is a totally different ride with the front of the train being a crazy migraine inducing headbanger and the back row being a smooth as silk intense ride. Our first ride I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was in the back. Very intense and I forgot how cool that inclined loop really is. I have not ridden Mantis since 1998 after a ball busting, headbanging, shin cramping nightmare. I still remember that ride so vividly hence the promise to never ride it again as Mantis.

Second ride was in the afternoon and a much different story. First of the awesome ride op that had trouble saying Rougarou and kept calling it "Scooby Doo". That was hilarious. I was in the second row and the ride was sort of dizzying and I whacked my head pretty hard 3 times solidly from the MCBR onward. I actually had to close my eyes for a second and was just hoping for the ride to end. My ears were red hot and I had enough of a headache that we cut our visit about an hour short and made that our last ride of the day. I will ride "Scooby Doo" again but only in the last 2 rows.

RCMAC said:

I would just like to say that it seems you liked it well enough to strike a werewolf pose over there by the Rougarou sign...

In all fairness, the picture was taken before I rode the ride, haha. Perhaps, I didn't have enough coffee this morning before writing my review. I didn't mean for it to sound so negative. The ride wasn't bad. but it also wasn't great. It was one of those rides I got off and didn't have strong opinions either way. That alone makes it a huge step up from Mantis. I was unhappy with the headbanging, but it wasn't nearly as bad as other rides I've been on before (Flight of Fear with OTSRs and Ninja at SFoG). I'd probably put it on the same level as Wicked Twister. Something that I will ride if there is no line and nothing else to do, but not something I need to make a part of every trip to the park. I apologize to any Rougafans I may have offended.

Last edited by Josh M.,

Aw, I was just kidding. I reckoned the ride came after the pose...

Josh M. said:

My only other observation is that I was surprised to see that at park opening around 10 or so, it was still a walk-on. Millennium was a 30 minute wait, but Rougarou was sending out several empty rows. However, by later in the day it did have a longer line. I was surprised that it wasn't pulling bigger crowds, but perhaps the general public still has a lingering negative opinion of Mantis, and it's carrying over to Rougarou.

No, I'm pretty sure that has everything to do with the fact that it was Monday, May 25th, and not Monday, August 3rd.

Promoter of fog.

Josh M. said:

...I don't recall me ever saying I hated anything...

Don't take it personally. I was mostly looking for an excuse to post a Mikey picture.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service