#tbt - Media coverage of mystery 2002 Cedar Point construction

Before we merged to create PointBuzz ... plus an Old Time friend!

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Nice dinosaur computers!

But one thing that hasn't changed is how fans go online to fan forums and speculate.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I can't believe that was my hair. Or neck.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Chatting on AIM. I miss those days!

In all of my time going to the park, this had to be one of my favorite. BTW, Walt I remember seeing you there taking pictures! This mysterious building of what looked like at the time, to be a giant Erector set right in the middle of the park, had to be the ultimate in hype on the early days of the internet. The mystery of it all and the hype still hasn't been matched by Cedar Point since then. After the park closed for 2002, I would drive back around Perimeter rd. to Breakers (by the old PWE boat exit gate) and look at TTD's side view to get construction pics. The workers were putting up the staggered red/white curved upward track at the time. (Nov 02'). Ah.....good times.

It's interesting to see how "secret" it was back then. Something like that would be fun again!

Jeff is almost sporting the Flock of Seagulls hair!

No, not even close. That hair was actually inspired by pro volleyball player Adam Johnson in the 90's, which worked better when I was in college and had more hair.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Those desktop computers and monitors now make great paper weights.

Get off my lawn!

Damn kids!

Hey, I bought a brand new Gateway back in 2001 that's now collecting dust on my basement floor. At the time, it was really dare I say "cutting edge!" 😄

It's funny because I do all my posting off an IPad.

Was there a reason on why it was called Area 51?

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Have people really forgotten how absurd the idea of a smart phone or iPad was even 8 years ago?

It was Area 51 because we assumed they were hiding aliens there, like the real Area 51.

I thought it was more because it was simply an empty fence with mystery construction for a good amount of time before they finally put up a "Cedar Point is building for the future" sign.

I also remember how people were completely thrown off by the fact that there were only three footers.

Where did the first speculation about a new rocket coaster come from? Was it a leaked memo or what?

Let's see...
If I recall correctly, the first thing that happened was rides in that area made their way to other places. Chaos, Troika, and Dodgem I were relocated or removed. (I may be wrong about this, the only one I'm kinda sure about in this timeline is Dodgem) Speculation started about the area and no one could imagine what kind of thrilling attraction would occupy that strange place, narrow footprint and all.
All eyes looked west to Knott's and their new and quite successful launched Intamin coaster, Xcelerator. It seemed to us that if Cedar Point was to build the next "...est" coaster in their line up, it would be one of those- only taller, longer, faster, etc. The rumors ran wild, putting this new launched coaster onto Millenium island, through Frontier Trail, up the Gemini midway, entwined with Iron Dragon, you name it.
Footers started to be installed and we stared at concrete pilings that seemed to run in single lines only. No turns, no bends, nothing to look at except what seemed like a dead end. Track construction started and once again it was nothing but straight track. It was clear, finally, that it was going to be a launched coaster, but where was it going to go? Straight up to.... Where?
Off season gave us views of a tower and strange shaped track running up it's side. Speculation once again ran wild until it was finally topped off at the incredible height of 420 feet. Enthusiasts sat on one side of the fence or another. Some squealed with delight at the height and presumed speed of such a ride. Others eschewed the idea, claiming disappointment and calling the ride a one trick pony then blaming Cedar Point for cheating them out of a lengthy full circuit ride. (some still hold onto those complaints...)
Finally the long awaited day came and the ride was announced. It seemed simple and incredible at the same time. Guesses as to what the name and theme would be were laid to rest. And I can't remember a time when talk about a new ride was so high.

Leaked memos hadn't been invented yet. It was an old-fashioned time of observing, guessing, and waiting.

Yeah, it started with the departure of Schwabinchen and the relocation of Chaos and Troika over to that midway, and Dodgem I was sent... somewhere. I want to say Michigan's Adventure but I'm not positive.

Once the top hat was complete, there was a sketch (I hesitate to call it a rendering, but it was an admittedly decent enough sketch that it looked official enough) of TTD with a much longer, sprawling layout that was passed around quite a bit, and definitely contributed to everyone that was disappointed when the official layout was revealed.

I'm just glad it's been ages since I've heard "Launch, Top Hat, Brakes" used as a point of contention.

Yeah thats interesting to hear because this topic made me go back and read ancient forums about the speculation of Dragster. It is actually really amazing how close people's guesses were to the actual ride so early before the announcement. They were guessing the racing theme based from the track colors, they even calculated the speed. I thought the 452' dueling coaster was funny though.

Hard to believe it's been 12-13 years ago. I can remember like it was yesterday, constantly checking the webcams in the Kent State computer labs in between classes.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service