The Rougarou Files #1

Tony has posted a new blog article. In it, he kicks off a new video series where we will learn more about the design and build process for the Mantarou (Mantis becomes Rougarou) transformation.

Volume 1: Painting provides some insight into the painting process.

Discuss! We can probably update this thread when new videos are posted and discuss them as well.

It sounds like this is the very cool insight we've been looking for! Hopefully we'll learn more about how management finally decided to bring this idea to fruition.

Blog: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/The-Rougarou-Files
Volume 1: http://youtu.be/On6XEto4CSo

(Thanks Jeff and others for the idea on this thread.)

Great video. I've never seen a coaster being painted before. I look forward to the next video in the series.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how far in depth this series is going to go

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

I love how Tony keeps mentioning the whole heartline thing. It always made me shake my head when that was ever even thought of as a reason that this conversion couldn't be done, considering the difference in heights of riders.

Just looking at aerial view and wondering, might the nearby passing of the train be incorporated into the overall themeing aspect of this new project? While the skeleton and fire thing is an all time classic for the train, it would still be cool for the train to get to see some of the new themeing aspect of Rougarou.

^ You mean move the skeleton houses around a little so you can see Rougarou? That would be cool! On another note, wouldn't it be cool If this company came in and painted Top Thrill Dragster too?

@Samosuband, it's really pretty basic though honestly. They go with buckets & sling paint. There's videos of time lapses a user here has made, most recently The Flight Bat Gun at KI got repainted finally for 2014, you can see them paint & make progress on the ride.

When I would go to KI just to view the park in the off season, you could just sit there & watch them roll paint onto everything. If it was a surface, it got painted. Simple as that.

Got as boring as it was, watching paint dry.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Can someone explain to me what the whole heartline thing is?

You'll find that in the threads before the conversion was announce. Basically the argument against the conversion happening was that since the location of your heart changes you cannot convert. This is because inversions on rides are often built to in essence use the riders heart for a pivot. Turns out it is possible to keep riders at the same height. I'm sure Tony and/or some other user will go more in depth than I because I do not have all the facts of it.

It's been discussed for years, in this thread and many others. More interesting, though, is the April 2013 tweet mentioned in the first post.

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I'm much more interesting in the answer to why they are converting the ride. The entire heartline debate was never much of an issue in my opinion. There is greater variability in body position of a stand-up anyway because you have short people and tall people standing, the difference is not as much when seated.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

thedevariouseffect said:
@Samosuband, it's really pretty basic though honestly. They go with buckets & sling paint. There's videos of time lapses a user here has made, most recently The Flight Bat Gun at KI got repainted finally for 2014, you can see them paint & make progress on the ride.

When I would go to KI just to view the park in the off season, you could just sit there & watch them roll paint onto everything. If it was a surface, it got painted. Simple as that.

Got as boring as it was, watching paint dry.

I bet if someone watched you work, they could also disrespectfully boil your tasks down into a similar "a monkey can do it" vomit of a post.

The overall concept is simple. That doesn't mean that it takes skill, but rather it means that there is little entertainment value to the untrained spectator. :-/

Between CP converting Mantis, riding Banshee AND with FL prices being more in line with where I feel they should be, I just ordered the Platinum Pass for next season. This is the first pass I have purchased in over 10 years. Glad to see Cedar Fair making changes that are re-inspiring me into making such an investment in their properties.

Did they raise or lower the price of FL? I thought they were too low because on busy days, FL lines can get pretty long.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Could someone clue me in on the heartline debate?

Weather Freak
Ride Warrior

Read Heartline roll on Wikipedia

This element on Bantisarou was alleged by people on here and other forums that the conversion would not happen because of one element.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

When FL first came out, you could purchase them for around $40. Now, depending on the day, FL+ can run over $100. FL starts at $60, now. FL+ starts at $80.

I was at CP 4 times this years when Gatekeeper and TTD were walk ons, and people had still purchased FL+ passes. It just boggled my mind that people were so foolish with their cash, especially the ones who entered the queue for TTD at the same time as me, but took longer to get to the ramp to the staion. I guess if people want to donate to CP like that, more power to them.

The reason I get a kick out of the heartline thing is because it is an example of how some people come on here and state, as fact, that CP will or won't do something, as though they are experts on these topics. I find that to be very arrogant. If someone wants to say that they don't believe, feel or think something will be done for certain reasons, I have no problem with that approach. I believe that this is how you can start a healthy debate without appearing to be a know-it-all. And I find that to be enjoyable and even educational.

^^it's possible those people purchased FL+ before getting to the park and knowing what crowds would be like

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service