Cold Weather

Planning a trip this friday, was wondering if all the rides will be operating. Temps look to be in the low 40's to upper
30's. Has anyone been to the park when it was that cold?

Cold does not generally affect ride operation, just the ride experience as in massive wind-chill on something like MF.

Me, I bring (and will bring this weekend) a long-sleeve t-shirt, a drawstring hoodie and a light outer jacket to give me removable layers. Add light, thermal gloves, long wool socks and a few pairs of air-activated handwarmers and toe warmers and you'll be good to go (they only last a few hours really).

I freaking love CP in the cold.

^False, weather does affect ride operations, please see Maverick/Millie valley earlier this season. I can list more examples if needed on how weather does affect operations. I mean I bet the past few weekends alone Raptor has had to have loaded trains during testing just to keep it going

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Remember only the rides that operate on Fridays during Halloweekends rides will be operating. not all of the rides.

Top Thrill Dragster will be affected by the cold weather the most. High winds, like earlier in the season can cause major problems.. We just need to hope for the best.

thedevariouseffect said:
^False, weather does affect ride operations, please see Maverick/Millie valley earlier this season. I can list more examples if needed on how weather does affect operations. I mean I bet the past few weekends alone Raptor has had to have loaded trains during testing just to keep it going

It's not false, and the reason is because my statement was "Cold does not generally affect ride operation." Cold may exacerbate a situation, or cause friction, or metal contraction, or hydraulic slowness, or a myriad of other things, but does it always? No, nor should you expect it to. Like any external factor (heat, wind, rain), it's an increase in risk, not a guarantee that you're going to see a valley this weekend.

You can't guarantee that...I'm sure park op, maint, and ride ops didn't think wind we normally run in would cause those rides to valley that day either...Weather can pose so many factors on rides and you can't prepare for, and things do happen. See Gemini (uses sandbags for dead weight), see Millie (has to use water dummies for g force testing), see Dragster (don't even have to explain), see Gatekeeper (high winds/cold=no go), See Maggie (high winds/cold=no go), see raptor (test cycles with loaded trains of employees)...

Weather is one of the biggest contributors to downtime @ CP..Even moreso than maint. or shutdowns. So yes, it does affect ride operation greatly.

I've already lost because I've engaged in a debate on the internet - yay me!

The OP asked about cold weather, not "weather". I answered his direct question. Then, you proceeded to answer a completely different question which was "can weather affect rides?" Cold alone causes friction, which will slow a ride down as it gets colder. Not a big deal unless it gets really, really cold. When you compound other factors, like you did with wind in your examples above, then it suddenly becomes "extreme cold" and yeah, that affects things more. Why not toss in rain too? How about hail or meteors? Here's a handy chart:

Generally doesn't affect ride operation (except wimpy ones)
Cold
Heat
Light winds
Light rain
Fog

Generally does affect ride operation (especially the wimpy ones)
High winds
Rain
Hail
Snow
Zombies
Extreme cold (could be a result of moderate cold + high winds)
Extreme heat
Tornados
Aholes with cameras
Meteors

So TTD is wimpy...because it totally has gone down in heavy fog before (see 2011) it didn't go up first thing that AM as a result..

Or any precip shuts it down..wimpy too right...

Perhaps I should have written "delicate."

So as you quote then, the rides are delicate (fragile basically), and this is in regards to weather...So the rides are affected then by weather, and is touchy by your wording.

Thanks for proving my point with your own words

Usually when I read paragraphs and sentences, I read all the words. You don't appear to have mastered that skill yet.

Temperatures this weekend and mild wind can put down TTD..Also any precip will shut several rides down automatically...

Again, weather is the biggest factor in any rides, be it temps, ect. Any deviation up or down can cause an issue. My rides were down more for weather than anything else, second was guest illness/article, then maint. issues.

Just dress for the weather and Have a great time!!!! I hope the weather will not ruin anyones fun!

Life is like a rollercoaster! It is full of ups and downs

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service