Cedar point and lake erie railroad

cple_engineer said:
CP used to do a train robbery back in the day! Kids were deputized and given badges and cap guns.

When Maud was built by Baldwin she was set up to burn liquid or solid fuel. When she started at CP she burned oil as it was thought that oil would be easier for one man operation however it proved difficult and she was convert back to coal. 22 was also tried on oil but it to was switched back to coal. The davenport came to use as an oil burner but was convert to coal.

You guys planning on removing George's 1942 rivited bolier.

George's riveted boiler is the original boiler and is the reason you don't see George on the line much if ever anymore. The boiler will most likely remain as it is not a priority. Judy K. and 22 are the mainstay of the railroad and the Davenport (G.A. Boeckling) is the back up in case either one of those 2 engines needs maintenance - another reason why Jennie K. remains at Knott's waiting refurbishment. We are not seeing that happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Bill Abele

Bill Abele said:
George's riveted boiler is the original boiler and is the reason you don't see George on the line much if ever anymore. The boiler will most likely remain as it is not a priority. Judy K. and 22 are the mainstay of the railroad and the Davenport (G.A. Boeckling) is the back up in case either one of those 2 engines needs maintenance - another reason why Jennie K. remains at Knott's waiting refurbishment. We are not seeing that happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Ah ok, be nice to see Jennie when she gets back, Is the G.A Boeckling going to take off Jennies headlamp and bell back on her when she comes back

I recall that the standard whistle when passing the white w posts was two long, one short, one long. That seems to have changed based on the On Point blog video of the train circuit (very well done video btw).

Any reason for the change Mr. Fan?

Rapids 77-78 said:
I recall that the standard whistle when passing the white w posts was two long, one short, one long. That seems to have changed based on the On Point blog video of the train circuit (very well done video btw).

Well each enginer is diffrent on the whistle signals, and I would ask a employe I don't work their.

I wouldn't count on seeing Jennie anytime soon if ever. She is not a priority for Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm, or Cedar Fair for that matter. With 22 and Judy K. (old #5: Jack Foster) as the work horses, management doesn't see the need. If anyone wants more information, please visit: cplerr.com

Bill Abele

Bill Abele said:
I wouldn't count on seeing Jennie anytime soon if ever. She is not a priority for Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm, or Cedar Fair for that matter. With 22 and Judy K. (old #5: Jack Foster) as the work horses, management doesn't see the need. If anyone wants more information, please visit: cplerr.com

Already on top of that I've seen the website before that's where I get alot of information and the forums.

How much water do the trains hold and use each day?

kevkevdel said:
How much water do the trains hold and use each day?

Don't know. Ask cple_engineer

How often, if ever, are George and Albert used?

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Jason Hammond said:
How often, if ever, are George and Albert used?

Well Albert has been out of service since 1990s and is on display at frontier trail,Goeorge R still has his original 1942 orbited boiler and all operating engines there have welded boilers.

Last edited by CP&LE RR Fan,

What's the difference between an orbited boiler and a welded boiler? Is one used in space? ;)

Jason Hammond said:
What's the difference between an orbited boiler and a welded boiler? Is one used in space? ;)

Orbited should be rivited, If boiler pressure is to high or if the boiler is weak it has a better chance of the rivits popping out and explode. Welded boilers are safer then rivits and have a less chance of exploding.

Are there plans on using the Boeckling (I think that's the beautiful looking teal trains name?) any time soon?

Rapids 77-78 said:

I do the proper whistle for all the crossings that we whistle for! Most people think we don't whistle for them because we don't hold the last long till the crossing but we do just not in areas where there a lot of guests. The only two we do not whistle for in some form or another are Mean Streak and the service crossing at Millennium's load platform though we more or less whistle for after the second highball leaving main. Main crossing and Red Garter crossing are lumped in with whistling at the second signal. Most engineers now a days have little or no railroad interest to do the proper whistles.

CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

samosuband said:
Are there plans on using the Boeckling (I think that's the beautiful looking teal trains name?) any time soon?

No Judy and Myron are the main engines used, he is a backup engine for now but will be used if Judy or myron need a boiler wash or break down.

George's boiler is as safe now as it was the day it rolled out of Porter! It has a current boiler certificate can be run if needed. I personally have more faith in the riveted boiler as it has lap seams with two rows of rivets whereas the weld boilers are butt seams with one weld and no tell tale holes in the stays. There many locomotives, traction engines, and stationary engines still running on there original riveted boilers. The main issue for not running George is more a weight concern than whether the boiler is safe.

We have never actually measured consumption but each tender holds a little over 1,000 gallons of water. We get water ever four rounds and the tank is never below 3/4 of a tank.

CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

samosuband said:
Are there plans on using the Boeckling any time soon?

The yet-to-be-named Boeckling ran at a few times last year. When they blew the whistle the first time I was on it, I noticed it sounded different. At first I thought maybe I was on George. After we got to Frontier station, we got off an noticed it was a new engine. :)

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/28401.aspx

THe standard U.S. train whistle remains two long, one short, one long (Here Comes the Train)...but it absolutely true that most modern train conductors don't care anymore and use their own whistles.

When you go to a historical train site (for example Greenfield Village in Michigan), you will always hear the standard train whistles.

But even Amtrak has done away with the whistle scheme -- they use a single prolonged whistle when approaching crossings and warning areas.

Back in the old days of CP, The trains also had specific whistles when they greeted the paddlewheel excursion boats, who also had their own reply whistles. These types of things are an afterthought these days as the customs and routines fade from memory.

Amtrak hasn't "done away" with the whistle scheme. Federal law dictates that a whistle/horn signal must consist of 2 longs, a short, and a long, beginning no less than 15 seconds and no more than 20 seconds before occupying a grade crossing and must be sounded continuously THROUGH the crossing. As a locomotive engineer for Norfolk Southern this is a rule with which I am pretty familiar. What you are hearing with the Amtraks, Ron, is just engineers using an unorthodox variation. The whistle signals are laid out in the rulebook. If someone is choosing to do just one continuous blast approaching and through a crossing, they are choosing to do so knowing full well that it is an incorrect whistle signal as clearly stated by federal law.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service